Italo-Turkish & First Balkan Naval Wars

Started by paulr, 11 January 2017, 07:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KTravlos

Keep in mind black was the peace color. Most steam navies in the pre-WWI era still did peace/war colors. The Psara model in the naval museum for example is 100% peace colors. War color for the Greek navy was more towards a light gray, though I painted mine in darker shade.

Under this label you can check my posts on my Age of Steam fleets. A good number of the 13 is on Greek and Ottoman fleets

http://phdleadhead.blogspot.com.tr/search/label/Age%20of%20Naval%20Steam

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Quote from: fsn on 13 January 2017, 07:07:25 PM
149! That's a big fleet or three!

I double checked my order this morning and it has crept up to 154 :o ;)

There are five fleets; Italian 47, Ottoman 43, Austro-Hungarian 39, Greeks 18, and Bulgarians 7

About half of those are destroyers, torpedo boats or gun boats so pretty small (15-25mm long) and multiples in each pack :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Quote from: KTravlos on 13 January 2017, 10:27:50 PM
Keep in mind black was the peace color. Most steam navies in the pre-WWI era still did peace/war colors. The Psara model in the naval museum for example is 100% peace colors. War color for the Greek navy was more towards a light gray, though I painted mine in darker shade.

Under this label you can check my posts on my Age of Steam fleets. A good number of the 13 is on Greek and Ottoman fleets

http://phdleadhead.blogspot.com.tr/search/label/Age%20of%20Naval%20Steam

The Ottomans were taken by surprise by the Italian declaration of war in the Italo-Turkish war so I wonder if at least some of the Italian ships had not been painted war colours at the start of the war :-\

Some of your posts help rekindled my interest in this period and area :)

KTravlos

The Italians probably were, the surprise was because the declaration came out of the blue. The Ottomans might had ships in peace colors though. By 1912 I think most of the fleet had been given its war-colors. I believe the old Seekrieg rules have notes on fleet coloring (find the free wargame rules wiki and it has them) . Also I think there was something on the War Times Journal site on that.

paulr

In my 'spare' wargaming time I'm creating the GQ Ship Data Sheets for all my planned ships and in the process checking my order

I've only made a couple of minor changes to the order so far, increasing the number of ships of course ;)

I'm also wondering what some of the designers were thinking when it came to armament layout :-\ :-/

KTravlos

Well a lot of these were ironclads or re-furbished ironcalds (for example Psara, Mesudiye). And the iron clad period was one of experimentation. One think to keep in mind is blast cones. They sometimes explain why some ships had weird gun deployments.

paulr

A good point on blast cones :-\

The strange combinations of armaments and layout are one of the fascinations of this period :)

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 15 January 2017, 06:40:32 PM
In my 'spare' wargaming time I'm creating the GQ Ship Data Sheets for all my planned ships and in the process checking my order

I've only made a couple of minor changes to the order so far, increasing the number of ships of course ;)

I'm also wondering what some of the designers were thinking when it came to armament layout :- :-/

Don't forget that I will be adding some quite a few as well   ;) 

In putting together my wish list  1. its amazing to see just how much some nations were prepared to spend on buying ships prior to WW1
                                              2. just how many protected/armoured cruisers were built at the Elswick yard on the Tyne for a range of nations from 1880 - 1914.

Luckily for me working out substitutes has been reasonably straightforward as many of the Elswick cruisers have pretty similar looks and dimensions. I have used several Japanese ships to depict the "Southern Cone" navies I am modelling from 1880 - 1914, though a couple of more exotic ships will be need to be scratchbuilt or "remodelled" from existing ones.....not quite as hairy as it sounds and can turn out well - as shown by the very nifty "americanised" steampunk walker conversion thread recently.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

I haven't forgotten your additions to 'our' order ;)

I've been making good progress on the Ship Data Sheets and learning a lot about the various ships in the process :)

All the Italians and Astro-Hungarians ships I'm ordering are done and all the Ottoman capital ships and destroyers I'm ordering as well

Ottoman torpedo boats, Greeks and Bulgarians to do

paulr

Ottoman torpedo boats, Greeks and Bulgarians SDS done, so all done :)
I will need to go back and proof them

I also noted that they're actually called Ship Damage Summaries not Ship Data Sheets ;D

paulr

Good progress on the proofing; Italians and Austrians done :)

It looks like my part of the order has stabilised at 154 ships

paulr

I've just been through Pierre the Shy's part of our joint order
Some interesting stuff there, and all his substitutions make sense although some will involve some conversion work ;)

By some bizarre coincidence we have come up with almost equal value orders :o
I suspect it has something to do with round numbers ;D

paulr

I've just triple checked our combined order  :-B ~X( :-B ~X( :-B

139 packs :o :o :o

I will be getting 163 ships  :o :)
With only 7 small ships spare :)

KTravlos

haha, now that is a lot of ships. I hope they bring you joy!