Italy, late 1943

Started by Raider4, 08 January 2017, 03:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Howdo all,

Decided to start a new mini-project, two 'armies' for One Hour Wargames, and I've picked Italy late 1943, Brits vs. German. Not an area I know much about, and a bit different from the usual NWE 44/45.

I gather that by this time British armour would be just Stuart(Honey), Sherman or Churchill Mk III/IV. Older stuff like Grant & Crusader have been replaced & retired?

Presumably the US lease-lend stuff would have been supplied in olive drab and left in that colour, but Churchill could be in an earthy brown/khaki-type colour? And what about soft skins & towed guns? Green or brown?

And German armour - would this still be in grey, or would the yellow/green/brown scheme have been prevalent by then?

Thanks, Martyn
--

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Germans are all yellow and camo in Italy.
British are Brown Violet the trucks have black 'Micky Mouse' circular camo.
And dust and mud, lots and lots of mud!
Churchills are MK III, with occasional added coupla from Panzer III and the occasional conversion to MK IV turret and a Sherman 75mm (turned sideways).
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

Lemmey,

Thanks for that, pretty much what I thought. The Brits being brown is something I only just stumbled across - I thought they'd have been green as per NWE.

Cheers, Martyn
--

petercooman

08 January 2017, 04:23:18 PM #3 Last Edit: 08 January 2017, 04:25:06 PM by petercooman
Pendraken have a churchill  NA in the catalog, wich should be the one with the bigger gun (don't have the model, but it should be that one)

http://www.pendraken.co.uk/BR132-p4267/

Duke Speedy of Leighton

That's the badger Peter, couldn't remember the name.
Brown violet is a browny-green!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Terry37

Sounds like a great project. I've thought about checking those rules out, so will be interested to hear how you like them.

As for British armor and color schemes I highly recommend the book by Mike Starmer "Sicily and Italy 1943-1945". His books are the  best reference I've found for British camo and schemes. He gives patterns and colors - including actual color chips. he also gives documentation to cover what he presents,

This volume shows the British still using Grants, Crusaders and Shermans. 

http://matadormodels.co.uk/tank_museum/xcamo_starmer.htm

Hope this helps,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams