2017 Cavalcade of Whimsey - the one true thread

Started by d_Guy, 08 January 2017, 02:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

While I slowly work on Monmouth's army, the West Country Militia and MacKay's (Scourie's) Scot's regulars, Toxic Pixie is commissioned to do Faversham's regulars and MacKay's Dutch brigade.

Here are a few of the first pictures Pixie has sent me of the First Foot Guards:

I'm very pleased with them! I would like to paint in this style but just can't see the details on a figure primed black.
They will contrast nicely (and look like by G_d regulars) to my Monmouth's, shall we say, more impressionistic style.

I've started a page at my blog for JBT Painting (Pixie's):

https://inredcoatragsattired.com/painting-guides/1660-1692/jbt-painting/
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

clibinarium

Quote from: d_Guy on 14 May 2017, 02:11:09 PM
I'm very pleased with them! I would like to paint in this style but just can't see the details on a figure primed black.
They will contrast nicely (and look like by G_d regulars) to my Monmouth's, shall we say, more impressionistic style.
(Pixie's):

Once you've primed back you can give them a grey or white drybrush and that will bring out much of the detail and leave the recessed parts black.

d_Guy

Thanks! Of the various techniques I've seen and tried I think I missed that one - will give it a try on the Militia.

DFlynSqrl

toxicpixie

Ta! The LoA figures are superb - well up as Pendrakens best, I think. So I just paint by numbers on the excellent detail :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

Pixie has now complete the First Foot Guard so here are a few more pics:

I'll be adding the pikes and flags.

Techno

toxicpixie

Balls, I've looked at those several times and I only just spotted I've missed a shoulder strap on one of the grenadiers! Back out the box they come :D

Credit to the sculptor, they're cracking figures. And d_guy's "unit assembly instructions" are very good - they should look very meaty in action!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

DFlynSqrl

fred.

Very nice painting, on some lovely figures
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sunjester

Looking great so far, can't wait to see a shot of them in action.

d_Guy

Inspired by Urban, Pixie, Lemmy, et. al., finally got Monmouth's fourth regiment done (although not based).
The Yellow Regiment: