2017 Cavalcade of Whimsey - the one true thread

Started by d_Guy, 08 January 2017, 02:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

d_Guy

Norm, if I hadn't watched your "Christmas" videos I would not have considered OHW for much of anything since I was more interested in Blackpowder at the time. OHW is now providing a vast amount f entertainment, so thank you.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

d_Guy

What I am currently painting (a sloooooow process):
Pendraken 10mm
1. The Lyme Independent Company of Monmouth's Army
2. Monmouth Command Group (using the LoA 35 vignette, an additional LoA mounted figure, and two of Phil's sheep)
3. A piper for Dumbarton's Foot (Sedgemoor) pieced together from most of an LoA pikeman and both arms, a shoulder and a bagpipe from a Minifig 10mm)

In this project (1660-1692) I still have to start on Monmouth's Green and Yellow Regiments plus some of Lord Grey's rebel horse. I will then turn to doing elements of the Dorset, Devon and Somerset militias.

Toxic Pixie ( https://www.facebook.com/jtppainting ) has in hand my order of a bunch of Pendraken 10mm LoA to be painted as James II's Army at Sedgemoor and a goodly portion of MacKay's Scots Government (Williamite) Army at Killiecrankie.
The full list (and painting guide) for this commission to Pixie can be found here:
https://inredcoatragsattired.com/painting-guides/1660-1692/

My 10mm armies for 1638 - 1660 engaged on Celtic Fringe are completed.
These are mostly (around 75%) Pendraken comprising Scots Covenant, Irish Confederation, Anglo/Irish, Scots Highland, various (militias, fencibles, clubment, etc) and English New Model. Many can assume different identities (e.g. Montrose's Royalists) by swapping flags. I may add a few specialty troops but no real need at the moment.

Techno

Nice work on those figures, Bill.

Sorry I missed them before......Blame the stay in hospital.  ;)

Cheers - Phil

d_Guy

Phil,
Glad you are now presumably stabilized, on the mend, and feeling better.

Thank you for the sheep!  :)

d_Guy

I have spent most of my time recently working out and playing One Hour Wargames using various scales in  both Pike & Shot and Horse & Musket periods. Since it was a game in 10mm I did a Battle Report in this forum thread:

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15565.0.html

I have done several other OHW battles that I won't do BatReps here (most are not 10mm) but if you care to have a look, various links are provided in this post in my primary blog for the games I bothered to document:
https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2017/02/12/some-fun-stuff/

I play solo and manage to frequently lose! So far I have played the British in 1809 and lost to the Russians - twice. I Played the English in 1643 and lost to the Scots - Irish Coalition - twice. I also played the English in 1639 and lost to a Scots Highland force.

The only time I have won so far is as the Irish Coalition against the English Commonwealth. Pathetic record (I'm 1-5).

It occurs to me that I put lots of links to my blogs in my forum posts which may look like trolling for hits (which is partly true). For most bloggers, blogging is about communicating (although a few are striving for hit numbers to increase the value of ad placement). I actually PAY for by blogs to assure that readers are NOT bothered by ads.

I read comments elsewhere that bloggers are validated by hits (like FBers who relish friends and likes). Maybe, but I get more validation by watching my posting rank insignia here become more and more extravagant. :)

Here is a picture of each of the other documented OHW games (in case you don't want to bother with the above links):

Der Kriegspielers (~20mm) Napoleonics 1809 (sort of) - British in foreground:

Various 25/28mm 1643 - English in foreground:

DFlynSqrl

Quote from: d_Guy on 13 February 2017, 06:20:22 PM
I play solo and manage to frequently lose!

It's almost as if when you play solo your opponent can tell what you're thinking!   ;)

On a side note, I'll have to add your blog to my reading list.  :)

Techno

d_Guy

Quote from: DFlynSqrl on 13 February 2017, 07:55:52 PM
It's almost as if when you play solo your opponent can tell what you're thinking!   ;)

:)  very true - you very much need well differentiated multiple personalities to pull it off successfully (or great AI features).
At the moment my opponent is my thin, athletic and enormously focused self of near fifty years ago, while I play as my current fat, arthritic and slow-witted self.  :D

And again, gentlemen, thanks for the comments and DFlynSqrl also the blog follow.

d_Guy

Having been inspired by recent posts on the subject, I decided to photograph my progress on the Trojan War.

As always there is a blog post on the subject:
https://leadenshipsandtinmen.com/2017/02/16/trojan-war/

My 10mm Trojan War figures are using some custom hex sabots that Leon ran up for me back in the summer. They are individual but can also be permanently assembled In various ways:

The bases are only roughly done and the figures have not had their final going over ( not that I'm capable of much improvement).

Some Trojan heroes:

Some Achean heroes:

Ajax takes on Hector:

I am running somewhere in the neighborhood of 50/50 Pendraken / MM. I shimed up the Pendrakens so at the moment it is easy to tell which is which.

fred.

Cool - they look very effective, I don't think I would have thought of doing this sort of basing, its kind of a cross between board game and traditional wargame.

Are you doing units, or just heroes?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

DFlynSqrl

This is very cool d_Guy.  The basing looks like it will be very effective.

d_Guy

Thanks Fred and DFS!

@Fred. There will be both units and individuals (although all figures will be based individually on pennies). I have a couple dozen archers, slingers and spearmen made up at this point and they are painted in neutral colors so they can fight for either side. A few of them (light green figure bases)  are in the first picture. The units are made up of different clusters of individual sabots (which are glued into a perminant form.
haven't worked out chariots yet.

I tend to lean in the direction of boardgames since many these days are designed for solo play. Most of my tabletop wargaming reflects this influence.

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sunjester