2017 Cavalcade of Whimsey - the one true thread

Started by d_Guy, 08 January 2017, 02:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

That's a good idea Mr. Lemmy, and I have done that for a few units in the past. The real problem is that the Royal Dragoons were present in the Sedgemoor campaign so Pixie will be painting them and they have a known standards (which I'll stick on) so that at least is worked out.

The Tangier Horse (and their alter ego in the Sedgemoor campaign - the Wiltshire Militia horse) have unknown flags (at least to me) so I need to come up with something that looks plauasable for both (or as you said have one of each).

We occasionally tie ourselves in knots over this stuff.  :D
Sleep with clean hands ...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Hi all,
I finished the Tangier Horse (which will double as Wiltshire Militia):

After looking at a bunch of pictures and satellite images of the Tangier region, it is more green than desert-like. So based Green but with more rocks than usual:

Have found very little concerning their uniform and nothing on flags. Decided to go with the green dragoon of house Braganza (in honor of the Queen Consort's dowry). Chose a red field to give it more of a county militia look. Easy enough to change if I find something more proper.

The Dorset militia is near 3/4 done and starting to assemble the Somerset militia. Plan to do the Tangier Spanish Horse with it (which may be able to double as French or Irish horse).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

Good call on the green basing, makes them much more usable
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

d_Guy

I spent the last couple days transforming my uncompleted Pendraken petting zoo into new Baroque (the rules set) status markers and re-purposing some of the existing ones. I Also decided on certain meta tags for use on this forum.

These are new:

Reacted Markers - Black-faced sheep - based on tradition these will be named "Technos" and "Lemmys", depending on battle venue:

Activated Marker - dogs (in background) - as these represent a large amount of completed activity that reoccurs in endless cycles, "Leons" would seem to have a nice ring.
( and in foreground)
First Volley Marker - poultry (geese and hens) - "Westies" for their loud, disruptive  but often accurate explosions:

Cavalry Weapon Status Marker - small furry and adorable creatures - cats for Point Blank Pistols and rabbits for Lance Bonus - "Fierce Kittys " and "Terrys" (for obvious reasons):

These have been repurposed:

Disordered Marker - piles of rocks - to be known as "Failing System Notators" or more simply, "fsns":

First Casualty Marker (used only in the skirmish version) - drummer - these are styled "Lemans" - once dour Puritans, they now joyously beat the drum for historic war gaming:

Exhausted Marker (Second Casualty in the skirmish version) - drummer and officer - while there are small groups of members that play games together and post individually here, calling these markers, "PaulPierres" seem appropriate:

Finally, all the now displaced individual fallen casualty makers have been gathered together to make Destroyed Command (wing, battalia) Markers. Because of their nearly total derivative nature, these will be called, "Mollinary Structures":

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

;D ;D ;D ;D I do like the idea of modelled status markers.

fsn

They look rather spiffy. For pre-gunpowder I use a supernumary in some appropriate colour (yellow=routing, brown=gone to earth, green=morale shaky, red=enraged). For post gunpowder, I use either an ensign or smoke. I think I put a thread on the forum asking about this somewhere, but I can't find it. Was one of the chaps suggested the ensigns. 

Quote from: d_Guy on 22 June 2017, 11:20:43 PM
Disordered Marker - piles of rocks - to be known as "Failing System Notators" or more simply, "fsns":
Hey! FSN! That's like me!  What are the chances?  :D
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Duke Speedy of Leighton

With extra helping of cress!
Those are brilliant!
Am I that reactive? Oh look, I've gained an alectron*!

*smallest known components of beer atoms.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I'm deeply insulted by those choices......
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021