2017 Cavalcade of Whimsey - the one true thread

Started by d_Guy, 08 January 2017, 02:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

I am enjoying following this immensely. A favorite period for me. Your figures are looking GREAT!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

DFlynSqrl

sunjester

Quote from: toxicpixie on 06 June 2017, 08:14:25 AM
And those sculpts are super - I don't know if Leon/Dave is watching, but I wonder what chunk of sales the LoA stuff generates? I'd have thought it a fairly "niche" market (sandwiched forlornly between the ECW/30YW and Marlborough) but commissions for it are very popular and piccies seem to pop up all the time!

I must admit it's not a period I had really thought about in the past, but seeing the fantastic range Pendraken released caused me to rethink.

But, as I already have 800+ painted WSS figures (plus another army pack on the way from Leon), I'm wondering it would be too similar to game. For the same reason I've avoided the Great Northern War as well.

d_Guy

Thanks for the comments (and Pixie thanks you also  :) )
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

d_Guy

Quote from: sunjester on 06 June 2017, 03:49:43 PM
I must admit it's not a period I had really thought about in the past, but seeing the fantastic range Pendraken released caused me to rethink.

But, as I already have 800+ painted WSS figures (plus another army pack on the way from Leon), I'm wondering it would be too similar to game. For the same reason I've avoided the Great Northern War as well.

I think this is an interesting and essential question. We have several folks expert in this transitional period (basically the divide between Pike and Shot and Horse and Musket) and it would be good to hear from them. Simply dragging pikes around with you changes your formations, capabilities and mindset. It makes what went in in 1680 (substantially?) different then what came out in 1702.

It seems like the entire 17th c. is about gaining enough confidence to make the leap away from pikes. Basically figuring out how to use firepower (and rapidly improving technologies),  how the horse (include dragoons) should be employed, and how to efficiently reorganize at every level. All thing considered I think 1680 - 170x is one of the most interesting periods in Warfare.

I have thought about doing the opposite, moving forward with the figures I have and just dropping out the pikes.
I suppose that means that you could buy a pack of pikemen - and add them to some if your foot - and give it a try. :)

I don't know what rules to use - Baroque claims up to 1700, V&R starts at 1700 and Twiglet 1680 - 1721. I haven't  tried Baroque yet for 1680ff and don't know the other rules. Undoubtedly there may be other rules even better at switching between the periods.

They are beautiful castings however.  :-bd

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

d_Guy

;D
Yes - I understand they are quite popular across the water. Never tried them but I understand they are coated with a non-nutritive cereal vanish, perhaps the very one developed by Clark Griswold.

To be more precise "Twilight of the Sun King 2.0" (which I have not seen yet).

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Pixie has added another regiment (Dumbarton's) to James II's growing army:

A couple more pic here:
https://inredcoatragsattired.com/painting-guides/1660-1692/jbt-painting/#jp-carousel-5377

Meanwhile on the home front:
The  first two 1685 militia regiments are about half way done. They are in there scarlet coats with highlighting done. The base buff accouterments are on as well as breeches of various colors.

The head gear is all broad brimmed hats in various configurations and colors

Nominally these will be the red and yellow regiments of the Dorset militia (Bridport and Dorchester).

The Tangier Horse is also now in red coats, white facings, steel pots and buff accouterments. They will do double duty as Wiltshire militia horse.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

I've sent you the Grenadier pic a bit early; they now have squiggles on the front of the hat :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Westmarcher

Great to see Toxic's handiwork in close up (good stuff, Nathan  :-bd ). Don't wish to put pressure on you, Bill, but when will we see the next completed and based unit?  :-w

:D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

toxicpixie

Cheers! Always nice to get nice feedback :D

I do need better light, the weather didn't co-operate very well there - the outside shots in decent but not glaring sun were much better.

I'd say I need a little photo booth, but I know I'd only cover it books, the lead mountain and coffee cups in a week :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

I'm well pleased with Pixie's work (and the pressure comes from him painting faster - and with better results then me)  ;)

I normally don't finish bases until I have several units to do (I tend to throw flock with great abandon so like to get it over with in one fell swoop.) Monmouth's regiments have been the exception - based and flocked each as they were painted.

I will finish the Tangier Horse first but have two problems. Can't decide how to dress the bases - sand (ala' Paul and Pierre - 'cause I really like how that looks) or the usual weeds and green flock - both work for Tangier but will look funny on the Somerset Levels.
They did not become the Royal Dragoons until thier return to England in Spring, 1684 (in fact they weren't considered dragoons when in Tangier) - I don't know what to use for their flag.

When the militia is done I need to do the Scottish army regiments at Killiecrankie which means modifying 90 some figures with green stuff bonnets! That'll be fun.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Do both flags separately, put them round some 1mm tubing, swap as needed! ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner