Skelp Show Report!

Started by Leon, 13 October 2010, 01:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

13 October 2010, 01:17:08 AM Last Edit: 13 October 2010, 01:22:01 AM by Leon
This past Saturday we headed off on the longest journey to a show we have, a massive 500 mile round trip to Forfar and back.  The Skelp show is one of the friendliest we go to, and you spend more time just chatting with people than actually working, which is nice.  It's very similar to the Durham show in that respect.

We normally book into a cottage, and make a bit of a family weekend of it, but this year we were too busy, so me and Dave drove upto Dundee on Friday afternoon, and stayed over in a Premier Inn.  We drove the remaining 14 miles to Forfar on the Saturday morning and got there around 7:40.  The show is held in the Reid Hall, which is handily situated opposite Tesco, and has it's own parking, and easy access for unloading.

Inside, the show fills up the main hall, with a second room upstairs hosting the Bring and Buy, and also the Painting comps.  These used to be held on the stage downstairs, but were moved this year.  There's a handy balcony upstairs as well, for good photo taking:

We got ourselves set up fairly quickly and had the customary bacon buttie.  Dave was moving so fast, he'd actually exceeded the speed of light...

The show started very well, with all of the new Japanese tanks selling before midday, which was nice.  There were a couple of traders missing from last year, and one of the organisers said that they'd had some bad luck with other traders not being able to fill the spots, so there were only 8 traders on show.  This didn't seem to negatively affect the show though, and I had a good browse around.  A few Forum members were about, with dab putting on a Greek/Italian WW2 game, SV52 stopped by for a chat, and Captain Black and Tannenbaum were working other stands.

The rest of the day went great, and we got finished up and on the road about 4:30.

So, pics!

Naps game:

WW2 Greeks/Italians:

There is a trophy given out each year for the best naval game:

And some others:

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

lentulus

OldenBUA

Quote from: Leon on 13 October 2010, 01:17:08 AM

We normally book into a cottage

Typical British understatement...
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Leon

Quote from: OldenBUA on 14 October 2010, 06:23:01 PM
Typical British understatement...

:D

They've got castles for sale up there ya know! 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

OldenBUA

Quote from: Leon on 15 October 2010, 01:24:25 AM
:D

They've got castles for sale up there ya know! 

Yeah, I must look into the plans for the Old Wargamers Retirement Home again.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Captain Black