What was the last ruleset you played 2017?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 06 January 2017, 07:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

1. Walter Schnaffs - Square  Bashing FPW

2.  French and Prussian

3.  HYes

4. close fought game in which, initially, the Prussian artillery nperformed very badly. this resulted in  the Prussian main attack being repulsed on its first attempt. the second attermpt was more successful, but the Prussians ran out ouof time resulting in more French resefrves getting onto the table and the Prussians being held to a draw.

5. two players

6. High Sierra seems to be masking a right pig's ear of my computer
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Leman on 01 December 2017, 04:46:46 PM

6. High Sierra seems to be masking a right pig's ear of my computer.

I'm not sure about this. The mask doesn't conceal the ears at all. Or is this little piggy not a "right pig"?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Apple Mac .... the Fisher Price activity centre for grown ups ;)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

Quote from: Ithoriel on 02 December 2017, 10:18:30 AM

Reminds me of when Windows XP came out, with a default background image of rolling green hills. Very quickly christened the Tellytubby version,

Cheers, M.
--

paulr

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Big Battle DBA
2) What armies were confronted? - III/66 Fatimid Egyptian, III/74b Other Seljuq Turkish, IV/6a Syrian v IV/1a Komnenan Byzantine, IV/2 Cilician Armenian, IV/7 Early Crusader
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, but had been a while
5) How many players were in the game? - Four

The Christian forces advanced into Anatolia and were met by the Seljuq Turkish supported by the Syrians and Fatimid Egyptian

On the Islamic left and center the Byzantines Knight General and Cavalry charged rashly and were promptly killed by the Syrian and Egyptian Cavalry demoralising the Byzantines

On the Islamic right the Crusader Knights advanced boldly and a messy fight ensued with the Knights pursuing the Turkish Cavalry that they pushed backed but weren't rolling high enough to kill. Meanwhile the Turkish Light Horse went on a wide flanking movement

Back on the Islamic left the Syrian Light Horse crossed a river to attempt their own outflanking maneuver, Armenian Bow and Crossbow moved to block this. The Armenian Knights charged the Syrian Cavalry and pursued those they pushed back. The Egyptian Cavalry support the Syrians and soon the Armenian Knights were desperately fighting off Cavalry to their front, flanks and rear. With several Knights lost the death of Constantine I, Prince of Armenia demoralised the Armeians. With two armies demoralised the Christians had lost the battle

On the Islamic right the Turkish Light Horse looted the Crusader and Byzantine camps while their Cavalry swamped the isolated Crusader Knights demoralising the Crusaders as well

A decisive Islamic victory
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 02 December 2017, 06:42:59 PM
2) What armies were confronted? - III/66 Fatimid Egyptian, III/74b Other Seljuq Turkish, IV/6a Syrian v IV/1a Komnenan Byzantine, IV/2 Cilician Armenian, IV/7 Early Crusader
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, but had been a while

Another relaxed game of BBDBA for our final game of the year, for me at least due to other commitments in December, though I hope to get at least a brief look at the FK&P "test" game thats being held at the local Hutt Wargaming club next Saturday.

Looking at doing a 6 army BBDBA in 10mm in 2018 using PM figures (and the new TB ranges when available) set in the Baltic in C13 - C15.   
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Steve J

Paul, I have a plan (not a cunning one ;)) to game the Baltic Crusades using Lion Rampant. Perfect for many of the low level actions. Will be interested to see your take on it with BBDBA. I have the figures, I have the bases, I have the ideas, they just haven't coalesced yet :(.

Norm

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Lock 'n Load Tactical ..... the solo module
2) What armies were confronted? - 1944 west front U.S. / German infantry only battle
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes with the basic system, but still feeling my way through the solo module
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - One ....... solo module enhanced.

I'm one of those folks who is quite happy to play solitaire and I think I can play both sides fairly and impartially and to their best capability at the moment of decision making.  However, many are not so inclined and in the boardgame world, there seems an increasing clamour for Artificial Intelligence sub-system that will help players play their native two player games. And so it is with Lock'n Load Tactical. I am into my 6th game and just getting into the hang of 'letting go' of one side, so that the AI can do its thing, while using frequent judgement calls to stop the AI doing something that is detrimental to the unit. At the moment I am on the fence as to whether for someone like me who is comfortable with solitaire play, I am better sticking with old style solitaire play and there-by abandoning an extra layer of game administration that the solo system requires. I just need to play a bit more to understand whether the AI is driving the game in a different direction that would be the case if I solitaired both sides, if it does, it may then be justified as it gives me a different opponent than ..... me!

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKCII
2) What armies were confronted? - British Union of Fascists vs 5th Peoples Flying Column, AVBCW
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Not by a long way
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo.

Quick set up game last night and played this morning as the weather not that nice. Nice to blood some recently painted vehicles and AAR to follow.

DFlynSqrl

Quote from: Norm on 03 December 2017, 08:25:52 AM
At the moment I am on the fence as to whether for someone like me who is comfortable with solitaire play, I am better sticking with old style solitaire play and there-by abandoning an extra layer of game administration that the solo system requires. I just need to play a bit more to understand whether the AI is driving the game in a different direction that would be the case if I solitaired both sides, if it does, it may then be justified as it gives me a different opponent than ..... me!

I haven't tried the LnL Tactical rules, regular or solo, but I do love playing the old chit based wargames.  No one else I know does, so I play a lot of solo.  I agree that any solo system [I've tried] added to a regular multi-player game seems to be rather cumbersome, and there are times the AI makes some odd decisions.  I still prefer playing both sides.  I just like to take a small break before switching sides to clear my mind and then jump in an do my best to beat the "other" me.

paulr

10 December 2017, 06:56:45 PM #415 Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 07:12:05 PM by paulr
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, played several times including last week

The Muslim forces advanced through Anatolia towards Constantinople and were met by the Byzantines supported by Armenians and Crusaders

The battlefield was broken up by two difficult hills, two patches of scrub, and a bog

The Christian forces formed a long line of Spear, Blade and Bow. The Byzantines on the left extending the line with cavalry and light horse, the Armenians on the right held their Knights in reserve near the combined camp

The Egyptians held the centre with their Blade and Spear. Their Bow and the Syrian Bow covered the right of the line from a difficult hill while the Syrian Cavalry and Light Horse massed on the right. The Turks were held back on the Muslim left

The Christian line advanced, slowly as some units worked their  way through scrub. The Egyptian line redeployed slightly while the Turks pondered their limited options. On the Muslim right the Syrian and Byzantine Cavalry and Light Horse clashed with casualties on both sides

As the Christian line continued its remorseless advance Syrian numbers told on the right and surrounded Byzantine Cavalry suffered enough casualties to demoralise the Byzantine army

It was now a race between the Syrian Cavalry and the Armenian Knights, could the Armenians move from the right to the left flank in time to cover the Christian line or would the Syrians mop up the demoralised Byzantines and fall on the rear of the Crusaders...

In the centre the Egyptian Spear and Blade clashed with the dismounted Crusader Knights and Spear, a confused scrum ensued with much withdrawing and counterattacking but with few units breaking

On the Muslim left theTurks saw the chance to slip around the Christian flank and attack the camp, left undefeated with the move of the Armenian Knights. This attempt lead to disaster when the Armenian Spear boldly counter attacked catching the Turk's General unable to withdraw through his supporting Light Horse

On the Muslim right the Syrians mopped up the Byzantines but then clashed with the Armenian Knights losing one unit

With both flanks demoralised the Muslim forces quit the battlefield

A really close fought and enjoyable battle for our last game of the year
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: Ithoriel on 02 December 2017, 10:18:30 AM

Don't worry, one day you'll grow up enough to be able to use one too.

toxicpixie

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BlackOps
2) What armies were confronted? - Various - Special Forces vs Armed Police vs Fanatics vs Mercs
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Pretty much
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - First intensive period of using them, but we played a few games a while back
5) How many players were in the game? - Three of us running it, and a rotating cast of a dozen.

Played out BlackOps at the Wargamer show in Halesowen weekend before last, and very good it was too. We'd played three or four weeks leading up to it, so were good to go when we hit the show and live punters. It was quick enough and simple enough people could pick up and play twenty mins fine, and we had a good few people also play a few game as opposed to a  couple of turns. My "Tracy island" scenery attracted nice comments, too, I think many wargamers might fondly remember Blue Peter as it was very much in the style of "what do I have lying around" :D

Totally failed to take any pics though!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leon

:D

Mac vs PC, it's like Playstation vs Xbox, Pearl Jam vs Nirvana or Mars vs Snickers...
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner