What was the last ruleset you played 2017?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 06 January 2017, 07:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

1. FOG

2. Wallachian v Ottoman

3. Once again I had forgotten how this complex set works so spent most of the game doing what I was told with no real idea why I was doing it. I think the problem with this game is it is a wargame version of that Russian computer thing where you have to drop blocks in the right place. I'm crap at that too.

4. I keep playing this because that is what the other three lads play but I just don't get it. Can't wait until my TtS Romans and Successors are ready. My side (Wallachian} got slaughtered.

5. Four players.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Trimsos, a work in progress set of rules by Keith Flint
2) What armies were confronted? - ImagiNations Ancients, broadly based upon the original Trimsos forces.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Pretty much
4) and... was this the first time you used this rulseet? -Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - Two

A fun game that took around 2 hours to play, with a narrow win for me. The rules still need tweaking, but we had lots of fun and got to use elephants and chariots, so what's not to like :D?

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - To the Strongest
2) What armies were confronted? - Saxons vs Vikings
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Pretty quickly
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? -Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo

I had a few quick solo games to get a handle on the game mechanics, which I picked up pretty quickly. The rules a very well laid out and it is easy to find most things with minimal effort. If only all rulesets where as easy to navigate as these. The games were pretty basic, but hope to add in more detail tomorrow. First impressions very positive, which makes me look forward to 'For King & Parliament' next year :).

DFlynSqrl

1) What ruleset did you use your last game?  Dragon Rampant
2) What armies were confronted?  Humans vs Lizardmen
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset?  My first time playing, but others knew the rules
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset?  Yes!
5) How many players were in the game?  4 the first game, 6 the second.

This was a really fun couple of games.  The rules were really easy to pick up.  All the units/leaders had silly names.  And the beer and whiskey was in abundance.

Leman

1. Ronin

2. Sohei monks  v Koreans

3. Very - nice and straightforward for a set of skirmish rules.

4. The Sohei were tasked with defending a shrine for 9 moves. The Koreans got into the shrine on move 9 after several hard fights. At one point my opponent said, "If you roll a double 1 we won't bother checking the result." I duly rolled snake eyes.

5. Two players

Duke Speedy of Leighton

;D noooooooooooooooooooôooooooooooooooooooooooooooooöoooooooooooooooooooooooõooooooooooooooooooooooooooòooooooooooooooooooooooooooooóooooooooooooooooooooooooooøoooooooooooooooœ!  :o
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

Quote from: DFlynSqrl on 16 November 2017, 02:08:44 AM
All the units/leaders had silly names.  And the beer and whiskey was in abundance.

Sounds a lot like our warhammer games 25 years or so ago. Except the whisky. Silly names and everybody having fun. Ah, memories. When did everything get so serious?

Cheers, M.
--

Steve J

A lot of wargamers have forgotten the 'game' part of wargame. Sadly too many people take it far too seriously :(.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - To the Strongest
2) What armies were confronted? - Saxons vs Vikings
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, even after a few games.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo

A 'proper' game tonight with figures and some terrain. AAR to follow.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortiem et Gloriam
2) What armies were confronted? - Samurai vs Vikings, both 10mm, both fresh to the table.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - Two, Gennorm and I

An interesting game, the match up didn't favour Gennorm, but I suspect all my luck for the weekend has just been used up in one go!
15-2 to the Samurai!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Quote from: Steve J on 16 November 2017, 08:38:36 PM
A lot of wargamers have forgotten the 'game' part of wargame. Sadly too many people take it far too seriously :(.

A lot of us are still having a hell of a good time. :)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

toxicpixie

1. Rules - Osprey's "Black Ops"

2. Forces - Last week - Two different Special Forces teams versus each other and some defending Fanatics, this week a Special Forces team, some mercenary operators and my Conscript PMC auxiliaries.

3. Comfort - Pretty much. Better this week! Rules are good, but I think suffer from squeezing into Ospreys limited page count, and are quite awkwardly laid out.

4. Last week the Fanatics were guarding a VIP and we both had to sneak in to extract him & partner before the other team got him. Both SpecOps teams snuck in real close, then banjo'd the alarm at the same time, the Fanatics came pouring in running and gunning, I got into a firefight whilst the other team stormed the building the VIP was in and ran him off table. Except he didn't make it as I played for the draw and machine gunned the lot of them at the very last minute :D That commander may now in Mombasa, in a bar room drinking gin and foolishly looking over his shoulder ;)

This week I won two for two - one, a three way rush to a central building hiding a brief case of vital info where I rushed a fireteam of conscripts over a killing ground just before two other teams went into overwatch on it, then took horrible casualties as they ran the briefcase back out under cover of fire and charge from the rest of their squad. Casualties went from none to five of nine dead in that one turn but I got off with it before they picked him off or everyone panicked and ran :D

Second game was a "seize and hold", whoever had the radio shack with it's vital gear on end of turn 4/packing up time would win. The SpecOps team made a good start, getting their Ace into it before anyone could cover the entrances and then hunkering their Gimpy and sniper to cover most ways in. The Mercs made a rush from the other side in cover, the first woman in sucking up amazing amounts of fire before she dropped, meaning no one could stop the rest piling through and machinegunning the SpecOps Ace. It looked like the Mercs were easy winners, but the remaining SpecOps troopers butchered my "spoiling close attack" (Let's try out the close combat rules! says I. Shan't be doing that again :D), then switched focus to the Mercs and blasted them into mush with grenades followed by rapid bursts to clear the stunned survivors. I then laid astonishing amounts of suppressive fire on the remaining Operators and waltzed in to claim the objective at the last minute whilst they had to duck and cover :D

5. Players - Three.

Good set of rules, cracks along nicely in combat whilst the stealth bit has great tension. We're running them at Wargamer in Dec in Halesowen as a participation game, which should be good if people can commit to play - I'm of the mind they're actually just a bit too long, but we'll see. It'll be a simple fight and small forces, so it might be ok!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

T13A

Hi

Must be a record - three games since last Tuesday!

Tuesday:
1) What ruleset did you use your last game? Impetus.
2) What armies were confronted? Carthaginians v Syracusans. Part of a simple campaign that a friend and I are running. Carthage invaded Sicily and it looked to be all over for the Syracusans with their right flank crumbling when the Carthaginian C-in-C got a javelin in his side which led to his entire army routing.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? Yes and no. Pretty much used to the rules by now but still find some very annoying aspects to them (my friend is reluctant to hear anything bad said about them) e.g. Impetuous Gallic warband doing some incredible fancy manoeuvring/charging.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset?  No
5) How many players were in the game?  Two

Friday:
1) What ruleset did you use your last game?  To the Strongest!
2) What armies were confronted?  Hundred Years war French v English
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? Yes, in terms of playability/complexity (without being 'simple') completely opposite to Impetus above, and great fun! As mentioned in other threads, I to was against playing a 'proper' wargame on a grid but these rules are certainly beginning to convert me.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? No, but still getting used to them.
5) How many players were in the game? Solo

Yesterday and Today (and best of all):
1) What ruleset did you use your last game? Blitzkrieg Commander II  :)
2) What armies were confronted? Germans v Russians, autumn 1942 on the road to Stalingrad
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? Pretty much, been awhile since I used them and still have issues with who can see who and when (but still prefer them to what I have seen of BKC III)
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset?  No
5) How many players were in the game? Two, myself and my 12 year old son  :)

Cheers Paul

T13A Out!

Leman

I have to admit that I now very much prefer Basic Impetus 2 to Impetus. Much less complex and much more fun and at less than $5  comes complete with dozens of army lists and two print options for the download.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - MeG
2) What armies were confronted? - Eastern Franks vs Ysegui Samurai
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - absolutely
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no
5) How many players were in the game? - two and an observer.

15-4 win to the Samurai!