What was the last ruleset you played 2017?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 06 January 2017, 07:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - MeG
2) What armies were confronted? - 15mm Early Imperial Romans vs Dacian (what, are historically accurate match-ups allowed)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - utterly
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no, non, no, yes
5) How many players were in the game? - four, one new
Romans stood firm and massacred the Dacians! Dacians had about four turns where they could have won outright, but failed!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sunjester

Quote from: mad lemmey on 21 September 2017, 11:21:31 PM
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - MeG
2) What armies were confronted? - 15mm Early Imperial Romans vs Dacian (what, are historically accurate match-ups allowed)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - utterly
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no, non, no, yes
5) How many players were in the game? - four, one new
Romans stood firm and massacred the Dacians! Dacians had about four turns where they could have won outright, but failed!

And which army were you commanding?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Sarmation allies on one side

Hey, my army didn't lose!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortiem eat Gloriam
2) What armies were confronted? - 10mm Pendraken Later Roman vs Magister Militum 10mm Mycenaeans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yup
4) Result 15-7 win to the Romans
5) How many players were in the game? - two

Forces of Rome hunkered all it's Infantry into new flank and a central wood, with a cavalry screen on the flank, the Mycenaeans deployed too wide. Rome burst through and turned the Proto-Greek line, but lost their catafracts to a silly advance and two units of auxiliaries to a flank charge, however, the Naked Blokes camp was taken, and the Romans took it home!
Mycenaean Legendary general (highest quality general in the game) was named 'Jonah The Wuss' after all five units he attached too fled in combat!

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKCII
2) What armies were confronted? - Fallschirmjager vs British Holland 1944
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo

Scenario loosely based upon the opening moves of Operation Market-Garden as the British ground troops pushed forward as quickly as possible along a very exposed road. Great game and nice to finally get a chance to blood my Fallschirmjager. Detailed AAR to follow in due course.

Leman

1. BBB

2. French v Prussians at Spicheren 1870

3. Very comfortable with this set now

4. After the full 8 moves the French grabbed victory in the final half of the final move.

5. Two players both familiar with the rules
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

T13A

Hi

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Impetus
2) What armies were confronted? - 15mm Macedonians v Later Achaemenid Persians. A campaign game based on Philip Sabin's 'Empire' campaign.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes and no!. I have been playing them for over two years now and they are badly in need of a new edition with all the amendments in one place. I think another edition is due sometime next year and I'm not sure I'm willing to wait that long (recently purchased To the Strongest!). I know how the rules work but find them very 'fiddly' in places and it is difficult sometimes to resolve issues that come up quickly. As someone else said in another post I'm beginning to fall out of love with them.  :(
4) Result - History needs to be re-written! Alexander last seen rapidly exiting the battlefield.  ;D
5) How many players were in the game? - four.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Leman

TBH I now find Basic Impetus 2 a much more player-friendly and enjoyable set, which also caters for the larger three command armies. One of the problems with Impetus is that the competition gamers started pushing for all sorts of amendments so that  they could field their "invincible" army. Last time I went to York there was an Impetus competition going on. A Gallic army was facing off against WOR Yorkists. I wept, shook my head and moved on.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Womble67

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Rapid Fire
2) What armies were confronted? - British v German
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 4

23 Sep 2017, Rapid Fire, Club

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Cold War Commander
2) What armies were confronted? - NATO v Warsaw Pact
5) How many players were in the game? - 14

22 to 24 Sep 2017, Cold War Commanders, Club

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Rapid Fire
2) What armies were confronted? - Russian v Germans
5) How many players were in the game? - 6

27 Sep 2017, Russian v Germans, Operations Room

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Homebrew
2) What armies were confronted? - Zombies vs Survivors
5) How many players were in the game? - 7

2 Oct 2017, Zombie Game, Club

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Matt J

Crikey someone has been busy!

That Cold War table looks ace  8)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Womble67

Quote from: Matt J on 05 October 2017, 01:26:34 PM

I'm pretty lucky really with having a local club and my own games room ( operations room)

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

toxicpixie

05 October 2017, 02:30:23 PM #327 Last Edit: 05 October 2017, 03:34:29 PM by toxicpixie
And the time to use both?! Nice :)

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Twilight of the Sun King
2) What armies were confronted? - Allied/Confederate Austro-Spanish-Savoyard versus Louis IVth's French under Villers
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

Played this week and last at the club. Last week the Savoyards stood on the defense, but threw themselves away by attacking. I was going to take them so Harri (who is new to the rules, and has done little figure gaming before - he is but a wee lad of sixteen!) could attack with fairly overwhelming force as the French, but he preferred the noble Confederates and aggressively counter attacked. That didn't go well as the French cavalry led by the Gendarmes punched his cavalrys lights out and crushed his flanks, as the French infantry ground into his now unseated infantry. The Spanish foot and Savoy Guard did good work but couldn't stem the tide and as he failed an army morale test would have earned a grudging fighting retreat.

Second game he took the Savoyards again, this time in a "sort of not the Schellenburg"; they outnumbered the French considerably (seven infantry battalia to five, seven cavalry to four) and the French were without Villers who was busy seiging somewhere else whilst someone else guarded his flank and the crossing over the Po. An interesting choice of cavalry in the centre and infantry on the wings saw the Confederate cavalry slam repeatedly into the French infantry, uphill, mostly behind fortifications, and the bit that wasn't rolled well on quality and were Elite on the day. Great gallantry eventually carried the day (after exhausted several regiments of horse!), but mainly because the French had become unhinged on both flanks where the Confederate infantry had maneuvered up slowly, grinding the French cavalry down enough that they could be swept away by fire or flank attacks from the centre. A gallant charge by French horse nearly swept the Allied centre off (they squeezed between the slower infantry and into the flank of the faster horse who'd charged the defences!) but Austrian cuirassiers turned and held grimly before other regiments could move up and sandwich the French flank, who again gave grudgingly but got pinned between trees and the hill, and ground backwards.

We ran out of time so the French hadn't yet broken or indeed been ejected from their hill top perch but they were lapped round on both sides, the cavalry was gone and it was the start of a precipitous flight for the bridges! Actually, perhaps not that precipitous as they were withdrawing in good order covered by Picardy and Champagne :D

Rules work well, plays nice, but figure games at the club are hard work due to time constraints. Harri's more au fait with the rules now, but a deliberate choice of cavalry to force the defences was not a good plan - what do they teach them at Cadets these days. eh? It was all a but "Western Desert, charge the PaK Front!".

Another club member is running Rapid Fire! next week, so we'll see how that goes. Not my favourite set of rules (esp. from a simulation PoV) or scale (20mm is too big for me these days!), but they give an enjoyable enough game and they're not a set I actually dislike, so we'll find out if WW2 tactics come more naturally to our newer recruits...

For those who fancy, piccies are at the Yahoo! group for Twiglet - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TwilightSK/photos/photostream/lightbox/1776832519?orderBy=mtime&sortOrder=desc&photoFilter=ALL#zax/1776832519

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Game 1
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Zombicide
2) What armies were confronted? - survivors vs zombies
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - basically , yes, but I'm not a great fan of the whole zombie oeuvre.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? -for me, yes, for the rest of the guys, no.
5) How many players were in the game? - 5
We won without taking a hit, thirty zombies despatched in one room with a petrol bomb and one player liking the same three zombies for five turns with a chainsaw! Did I enjoy it, basically, yeah, not sure I would play again. Nice cooperative set up though.

Game 2
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - King of Tokyo
2) What armies were confronted? - Kraken vs Techno Bunny vs The King vs Robot Dragon
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - yes, but been wanting to try them for years.
5) How many players were in the game? - 4 ( someone from the zombie game had to go).

Great game, very silly. One player picked up an absolutely unbeatable set of booster cards early on, and despite some serious ganging up on him, survived to win! Great game, will definitely play again.

paulr

Quote from: Matt J on 05 October 2017, 01:26:34 PM

Seconded, all the tables look ace 8)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!