What was the last ruleset you played 2017?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 06 January 2017, 07:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Quote from: paulr on 11 July 2017, 09:51:25 AM
You're only a rebel if you lose ;) ;) ;)

I blame autocorrect  ~X(

That was one of the quotes I was thinking of Ithoriel
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Scum of the Earth.ECW
2) What armies were confronted? - Royalist v Commonwealth
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Marginally
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - First time
5) How many players were in the game? - one (solo)

The Battle of the Severn, 25 March, 1655 near what is now Annapolis, Maryland.
My closed ECW battlefield (by a lot)
My post on the historic battle is here:
https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2017/07/04/battle-of-the-severn-1655/

The play through using SotE is here:
https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2017/07/13/battle-of-the-severn-the-wargame-the-scum-of-the-earth/

Sleep with clean hands ...

Nosher

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Bolt Action
2) What armies were confronted? - Germans v US
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - many games under my belt
5) How many players were in the game? - one (solo)

Inspired by and very loosely set in the Ardenne Dec 44. I have no snow terrain so this was fought out over spring/summer terrain but counting all areas off road as rough going. The US were defending the outskirts of a village with a reduced platoon and three Shermans. The Germans wer attacking along two roads with a mixed Kampfgruppe of Grenadiers and FJR mounted in half tracks with a Stummel, a Panther and a PzIV in support.

The Americans managed to bottle neck the German advance and immobilised the PzIV before the Germans were able to rally and gradually reduce the US advance positions with a series of well coordinated fire plans. Once this outer ring was penetrated the Panther rolled into the village supported by the remaining infantry and quickly despatched all three Shermans securing a win for the Germans.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Warband
2) What armies were confronted? - Dragon Men vs High Elves vs Hugh Elves
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Me , no, John no, Jarkko, second game and his son's  first, although he did go off and order the rules straight after we finished.
5) How many players were in the game? - three and a half!

Attack The Camp, detailed report later, but OW!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game?  Volley &a Bayonet - Wing scale
2) What armies were confronted?  British v Rebels Patriots
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset?  Yes
4) Was this your first time using this ruleset?  Second weekend in a row :)
5) How many players were in the game?  3 British v 2 Americans

Last week to belatedly mark the 4thJuly we played a game based on British attack on the Birmingham Meeting House during the battle of Brandywine, September 1777. We substituted some of my southern forces for the historic units. We had such a good time that we played again this week, the rebels patriots wanted to try a more forward defence, defending the edge of the hills rather than fighting on the plateau  :-\

The British decided to fight on the right and screen their centre with the large brigade while the brigade of Guards and the other brigade attempted an outflanking move on the right. The artillery originally attached to the Guards deployed on the left directly under the command of Lord Cornwallis. All the British brigades turned up on time this game :)

The Patriots pushed forward from the east west road reaching the fields on the edge of the plateau. Due to complexity of command some of the Militia were left behind. The Continentals on the Patriots right boldly advanced in an attempt to outflank the unsupported British guns. Seeing Cornwallis' plight the 63rd Foot and the 1st/71st Highlanders swung left while the 7th Fusiliers moved up to support the skirmishing converged light infantry.

The Continentals choose to charge in rather than face heavy fire followed by a charge including Highlanders, it did not go well X_X The right wing of the highlanders suffered heavily from the fire of the other Continentals on the hill. The British counter charge swept away the remaining Continentals from the Patriots right.

The remaining Continentals  on the hill were now assailed from both flanks while the Militia tried to form a new flank on the left but were no match for the British Guards.

The entire battle took place in about one sixth of the battle field. A good time was had by all, particularly the British ;)

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Warband
2) What armies were confronted? - Barbarian vs Undead vs Dragon Men
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - utterly
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - nope
5) How many players were in the game? - three plus Jarkko's son

We went for 'Grudge Match' and then got completely scuppered by Mark who laid down a forked river and a road system that made Milton Keynes look simple!
Basically the table split into thirds, and because Mark bottlednecked both of us, we were in trouble from the start.
I broke, Jarkko and son had lost 197/250, and Mark had only lost 87 points!

Great game, many giggles, full and comprehensive battle report on my blog tomorrow!  8) sleep time now! 😴

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - MeG
2) What armies were confronted? - Middle Republican Roman vs Archmedian Persian
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - definitely not
5) How many players were in the game? - two

After the initial disaster of losing III Legion (Unit of Principes, unit of Hastatii and their Triarii) in very short order to three units Immortals, i feared the worst and a bloodless loss! Then I mugged and killed his Royal Guard Cavalry, his other Royal Guard cavalry (for the loss of a twinned Principes unit from Legions I & II),  a unit of immortals and a unit of Crescent Shield Infantry. I was about to take out another cavalry unit when we ran out of 10-10 draw! :)

Leon026

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - General d'Armee (GDA) by DCR Brown (creator of GdB)
2) What armies were confronted? - 1809 French vs Austrians
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - One

Now that I have a new gaming table, I decided to give this ruleset a try. I've always been keen on Napoleonic Wargaming, but I've been searching for the holy grail for far too long....

... and I think I've found it.

I also own GdB, but I felt it very unwieldy when using 10mm scale figures because GdB sort of requires specific basing. GDA on the other hand uses "Small", "Regular", and "Large" unit sizes, so its very applicable to games like Lasalle, C&C, C&G II etc.

The ruleset is actually incredibly flavorfull, and the charge/melee results I felt were quite 'historical', and there were many cases of small stories developing on the battlefield.

My favorite aspect about this ruleset is the game-within-a-game concept when it comes to command and control. You dont just "push" your units around, but similar to Black Powder, you see which units are available, but which can be influenced by ADCs of which you only have a limited amount of - limiting all your decisions. As command and control degrades, your ability to do everything becomes all that much harder.

Excellent set of rules and strongly recommended. I'm already looking forward to playing my next game.

Leman

1. Walter Schnaffs (Square Bashing FPW variant)

2. Imperial French v. Prussian

3. Pretty comfortable as I have played a lot of Square Bashing, but did have to frequently refer to the amendment booklet (only half a dozen pages).

4. First time using the Walter Schnaffs variant.

5. Solo

Followed the suggestion in the main  rules of giving the French lots of sixes in the pre-battle to make them the defenders. This did not work out well for the French as they ended up losing half their army to the reserves, a position from which they never recovered. As the attackers the Prussians used their movement order to march unhindered through the terrain in the first move, resulting in the French being swamped almost immediately. Next time I might well try just using the suggested dice dispersal for both sides. I will need to prepare more artillery for both sides, or give the French a fort.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

sunjester

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Black Powder
2) What armies were confronted? - French and Spanish (me) vs British and Portugese (Orcs)
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

War of Spanish Succession (in Spain!). The objective was to control the road junction.  I started badly as I got into a total mess in the centre mixing up bits of three brigades all getting in each other's way. Orcs had a chance to rush forward with his British, but delayed as their supports had been slow getting off the ground. That allowed me time to unlimber my artillery and reform my lines, so when he did attack I could blast him as he was coming in. A very close game but at the last minute I broke his centre brigade and he conceded at that point.

The battle viewed from the French side.

The British infantry advancing (a shame about the command rolls for the supporting troops!).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - MeG
2) What armies were confronted? - Archmedian Persians vs Middle Republican Roman
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - hell no!
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

Rematch of the last game, but this time...
I lost even bigger! 6-15. My two larger elite legions were killed instantly vs poorer front ranks!! Drat!  ;D

Leman

1. Walter Schnaffs

2. Imperial French v Prussian 1870

3. Very

4. Second time using this variant

5. Two players

This time the French had the upper hand. By holding terrain features the French were able to fend off the Prussians, causing large numbers of casualties, and even take a third objective. the French also had fewer troops in reserve than last game and relatively little trouble getting them on to the table. After four moves the French had only one unit left in reserve. A very different experience for the Prussian army. Victory points tally was 93 to the French and 27 to the Prussians.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Leman

Yes, it was a very good game and initially looked as though it would be a walk in the park for the Prussians. They sent in a massive attack against one French unit and a battery of mitrailleuses holding a small chateau. The Prussians accrued 16 dice, the French 5. A fairly poor roll by the Prussians and a good roll by the French, who then managed to save all bar one hit, whilst the Prussians did the same, resulted in a stand off with the Prussians taking more hits and only saving one of those. The Prussians had another go but this time lost the assault and had to withdraw, taking more casualties. This resulted in the Prussians later failing a morale roll and having to withdraw further taking even more casualties. Their artillery then let rip on the chateau, destroying the mitrailleuse battery but failing to dislodge the infantry who remained there to the end of the battle.