What was the last ruleset you played 2017?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 06 January 2017, 07:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

Sounds cracking! I always like to see the underdog win, especially when they're on the side of right :D

Any piccies of the custom terrain?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Sounds like a belter. Looking forward to the report on the blog and the possibility of having a go myself at Warfare.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chris Pringle

Thanks, chaps! Blog post about Mars-la-Tour is here now:
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/bh-hqge-at-mars-la-tour.html
Including one pic of the game that doesn't quite capture the full pleasing effect.

For my next game it's time to complete our Crimean War campaign with the battle of the Chernaya, on battlemat (thanks, TP!).

Chris

toxicpixie

I've missed several games since I updated, whoops!

Been playing L'Art de la Guerre solo at the club, couple games as a test before I hopefully unleash it on live opponents. Works very well - it's as simple as DBA, and as well written as FoG, with the depth & interest of Impetus. So far am very impressed :D I can see why it's on the rise as the "go to" tin pants and pointy stick set. Possible live opponent tonight, but then I'm roped in to D&D for a month so no toy soldiers :/

Did get a full sized (well, 200pt) Blucher game in last week though, first one on one I've played where I've had to run the rules as well as just play, and I enthusiastically report that the Germanies shall remain a happy extension of Hapsburg Austria and not some tyranny of Boney and his unwashed hordes! Urrah for the Kaiser and Autocracy! I shall be having large numbers of minor German princes shot in celebration this evening.

200pt'er with Al from the club, his first game, my first doing the heavy lifting on rules so we were slow. Took us a very leisurely four hours and went right down to the wire. The Confederation of the Rhine started with a salient driven into two of my corps, with all troops on table. My "line" corps was off table between them ready to roll their advance guard over, and my insurrecto were off the flank ready to nip into the artillery park from behind when they bothered to turn up.

The plan went marvellously, with the strongest advanced Rhinish corp getting pasted by my Guard Corps (Cuirassiers, avant garde, veteran grenze) whilst sandwiched by the guns of the Landwehr (minor german allies on my side, due to never actually painting my actual landwher!) then the remants got rolled over by my rapidly arriving line corps. The flanks held well as the insurrecto forced the dangerous attack into splitting up and running out of steam dealing with them instead of crashing into my flimsy rear guard from the Guard Corps, and the other was slowed by a river and muskets of the landwehr infantry.

We ran out of breath for a while holding them off which let them rally a little, and it eventually went down to both of us needing one unit to break, most units being on a handful of elan and Al having had to retire so much one more unit retiring would break him! I gathered the men as dusk was falling, and in one final push the Hungarians kicked the Brandenburgers out of a village they'd garrisoned and bayonetted them down to break his army; on the other flank the Landwehr also got in, supporting an avant garde unit and with withering fire blew the cohesion of another brigade away for a comfortable and easy victory, hard fought against a spineless but resolute opponent, whose tactical acumen was of the highest calibre but no match for Hapsburg cunning etc etc.

Last few turns were like two exhausted drunks flailing at one another on the floor, desperately seeking one last blow before they passed out... went to twenty six turns!

I think Al's convinced that if we Scharnhorst the week before, and just get set up quick and playing we could get a game in at the club easily enough which is good, bodes well for my MDF legions seeing some action :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - MeG
2) What armies were confronted? - Middle Republican Roman vs Hannibal in Italy
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - very, I was training someone for a competition at the weekend.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no, but it was my opponents first independent game
5) How many players were in the game? - two

Rome somewhat spanked Carthage, despite being massively outnumbered. Even the Triarii got involved (someone charged them with Gallic cavalry, that didn't end well)!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

1. FOG

2. Southern Romano Britons v Welsh Romano Britons c.459

3. No - it's too bloody complicated

4. No, played loads of games now, but this has to be the most freakin boring ruleset I've ever endured.

5. Two players per side.

toxicpixie

Leman, have a bash at L'Art de la Guerre, if anyone near you is willing. It's really rather good! I cared very little for FoG, it's very well written and presented but the game is just... meh.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mansions of Madness (card/rpg game)
2) What armies were confronted? - five investigators vs insane dinner party guests
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - quickly yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? -yes
5) How many players were in the game? - five vs the computer
Won't be playing that again for a while...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Spearhead
2) What armies were confronted? - German Panzer 'Division' v Polish Infantry Division north of Berlin April 1945
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes, had to look up a few things as we hadn't used them in a while
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - not by a long way
5) How many players were in the game? - five, 2 Polish, 3 Germans

A bit of a 'what if' based on the ordered attack by the 'Army Group' of General Steiner

I got to use this video to set the scene for the players :)

A win to the Germans but not enough for Steiner to "bring it under control" (0:18)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Hang on, wasn't he selling all his stuff after losing his Battletech mini's, and rage-quitting to W40k?!

Good choice of rules - have you tried the Scenario System?

Shedman

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Bloody Big Battles variant for Modern Africa
2) What armies were confronted? - Government forces vs Rebel forces
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes to this variant
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

An AAR on my blog http://twomarshals.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/fire-in-bush-modern-africa-using-bbb.html

Leman

Tuesday - Warmaster Ancients - Romans v Gauls

Wednesday - Honours of War - Prussians v Austrians - the Spittelwitz scenario

Thursday - Field of Glory - Early Scots v Strathclyde Welsh. 

fred.

Show off!   :)

You retired people and all your free time!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

ronan

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? -
   An improvised meeting with old friends in a bar  ;D
2) What armies were confronted? -
  Their band on stage, and some people in the room, including bikers and rugby players, celebrating !
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? -
    Yes, but now I'm a bit ... "tired" :D
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? -
  Nope :-[
5) How many players were in the game? -
  Three on stage, several dozens in the room, and I can't remember how many beers  8)

( sorry for hijacking this thread... ;) )