What was the last ruleset you played 2017?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 06 January 2017, 07:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

They do look good, don't they. All painted by the talented Paul Winrow.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

25 March 2017, 11:57:45 PM #121 Last Edit: 26 March 2017, 12:03:36 AM by mad lemmey
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - MeG (Mortiem et Gloria)
2) What armies were confronted? - Two games, my Picts vs My Later Romans (borrowed by a friend) and then Mid Republican Romans (in15mm)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - definitely
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no, but both my opponents were fairly new to it.
5) How many players were in the game? - 2 and 2, but the event has 13 players Saturday, 6 of us tomorrow.
Game 1 vs Skip, my Picts (nearest) vs My Later Imperial Romans (a draw in my favour), over 1000 Pendraken figures.

From the Roman side

Tell me this is not a thing of awe!

Game 2: Vs Mid Republican Romans, a series of my charges go in on his line (I would win this one, big time)

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

DFlynSqrl

paulr

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Too Fat Lardies' "If The Lord Spares Us"
2) What armies were confronted? - Re-enforced Ottoman 125th Infantry Regiment v Australian and New Zealand Mounted Division
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes, if a little rusty initially
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - not for most of us, but not for a while (one player was new to the rules)
5) How many players were in the game? - 2 v 3, there will probably be a fourth commander for the Mounted Division when the game resumes next week

More info here http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15766.0.html
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

kustenjaeger

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - FFG Star Wars Armada
2) What armies were confronted? - An Imperial vs a Rebel Fleet (400 pts)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - No - have to learn it
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes for me
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

I marginally won as Imperial during a campaign game. I lost a Raider II and 5 TIE squadrons vs a Guppy and 3 Rebel fighter squadrons. I think I more or less understand the rules now!

Edward

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - two more games of MeG.
2) What armies were confronted? - my Picts vs Foederate Roman then Sassanid Persians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - nope
5) How many players were in the game? - two then two...
Big win cs Romans (dice went my way in a huge way) then vs Persians I got torn apart by elephants and catafracts!
Great pair of games!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Le Manchou

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Tide of Iron Stalingrad
2) What armies were confronted? - Soviets vs Germans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - nope
5) How many players were in the game? - five
Si vis pacem, para bellum

toxicpixie

Will, I'd only looked at your comp pics on the phone where they were very small. Blimey, but they do justice in full screen!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Honours of War (AWI variant)
2) What armies were confronted? - British vs post Valley Forge Americans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - Two

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortiem et Gloria
2) What armies were confronted? - Picts vs Sassanid Persians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - definitely
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no
5) How many players were in the game? - two

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qMa0CxgCqiM

Wewenge! Big win to the Picts, dead elephants, dead Catafracts x2, four cavalry crushed, skirmishers pushed off table. Lost three units and some skirmishers, actually very close game.

Luddite

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game?

Principles of War

2) What armies were confronted?

Colonial British vs Egyptian Army

3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset?

Yes

4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset?

No

5) How many players were in the game?

Six
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

grahambeyrout

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - WRG Horse and Musket
2) What armies were confronted? - French versus Anglo-Hannoverian
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes - bit using it on and off for ages
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 1 - solo

Nosher

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Test of Honour
2) What armies were confronted? - Samurai v Samurai
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Simple enough, possibly too simple.....
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes. Four games in just under two hours
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo - getting my head around the mechanisms before playing against a live opponent tonight

On first impressions I think this is quite a dull game. Im hoping that playing against an opponent might be more exciting. It all feels a little too much like a roleplaying game for my l;ikes. I can imaging GW players will love it.

The figures that came with the game are appalling. Hard to put together and lifeless. They look like PC game 3d models.

Glad I only shelled out £35 for the basic starter set. If I do take this further I'll be investing in Perry Minis or other metals on the market.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Nosher

Quote from: Nosher on 31 March 2017, 06:11:11 PM
1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Test of Honour
2) What armies were confronted? - Samurai v Samurai
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Simple enough, possibly too simple.....
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes. Four games in just under two hours
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo - getting my head around the mechanisms before playing against a live opponent tonight

On first impressions I think this is quite a dull game. Im hoping that playing against an opponent might be more exciting. It all feels a little too much like a roleplaying game for my l;ikes. I can imaging GW players will love it.

The figures that came with the game are appalling. Hard to put together and lifeless. They look like PC game 3d models.

Glad I only shelled out £35 for the basic starter set. If I do take this further I'll be investing in Perry Minis or other metals on the market.

Played 4 back to back games in just under four hours last night - played at a leisurely pace with both of us only having had the briefest of read throughs and happy to say that other than the figures, Test of Honour gives a decent enough game.

Like most back of the fag packet rules, there's quite a bit of ambiguity in some of the rules so I wouldn't like to play these with a power gamer/rules lawyer. Where these issues arose we just agreed on a sensible interpretation and got on with the game.

Not entirely sure I will buy any of the expansions unless they come as seperate card sets and figures as I still do not like the look of the Wargames Factory minis which are pretty lifeless.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson