What was the last ruleset you played 2017?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 06 January 2017, 07:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Pringle

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game?

At a class at the US Naval War College, using BBB as a serious educational tool for serving officers.

2) What armies were confronted?

Franco-Prussian War - French vs Germans at Froeschwiller, 1870

3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset?

Considering that almost all the players were total newbies not just to BBB but to wargaming, yes, very comfortable. (I was just an assistant instructor.)

4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset?

Not for this purpose, no, but first time for all the players.

5) How many players were in the game?

Eleven US military officers ranking from equivalent of army captain to lieutenant-colonel.

Full report on my blog here:
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/wargaming-at-us-naval-war-college.html

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

Roy

X-Wing. At Skywalker's Redcar Ironbeards club. Got beat. Again.

but i did manage to actually shoot an enemy fighter down this time - progress!  ;D
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

skywalker

Roy Williamson your tactics are improving, next week you could get your revenge  :D :D :D

paulr

Quote from: Chris Pringle on 24 January 2017, 01:48:50 PM
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game?

At a class at the US Naval War College, using BBB as a serious educational tool for serving officers.

2) What armies were confronted?

Franco-Prussian War - French vs Germans at Froeschwiller, 1870

3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset?

Considering that almost all the players were total newbies not just to BBB but to wargaming, yes, very comfortable. (I was just an assistant instructor.)

4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset?

Not for this purpose, no, but first time for all the players.

5) How many players were in the game?

Eleven US military officers ranking from equivalent of army captain to lieutenant-colonel.

Full report on my blog here:
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/wargaming-at-us-naval-war-college.html

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

Impressive =D> =D> =D>
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

1. FoG

2. Some Spanish Moors, can't remember which but they began with an A, v Navarrese c.1175

3. Nope, don't think I'm ever going to feel comfortable with these. They are just too fiddly.

4. I've now had about a dozen FoG games but I just have no feeling for them, which Is probably why I'm not arsed about understanding them.

5. Three players. I acted as the A Moors sub-commander, followed my orders, they won and I couldn't have cared less. Thank god we're moving on to 10mm ECW and Forlorn Hope next - a period and set of rules I really enjoy.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chris Pringle

Westmarcher

Good for you, Chris.  :-bd 

Newport's nice. All expenses paid?  ;)   Were they playing with miniatures or Kriegspiel type blocks?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Westmarcher on 25 January 2017, 10:25:15 AM
Were they playing with miniatures or Kriegspiel type blocks?

Cheers, Westie. The armies are Baccus 6mm. There have been some casualties as they are a bit fragile for newbies with hands that are trained to kill.

When Nick first developed this class he used conventional 3D wargames terrain complete with hills, trees, houses etc. However the set-up time for such a complex battlefield is quite long, so we created a battlemat for instant set-up. I'm working on doing these for all the BBB scenarios now, with the idea of making the files available to BBB players in a suitable format.

Chris

toxicpixie

Looks great, Chris! Am only slightly jealous :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

Good write up on the blog and a great way to spread the rules and the C19th in general. And I am very jealous.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Field Of Glory Renaissance
2) What armies were confronted? - My 10mm LOA Anglo-Dutch vs Gennorm's 10mm Later Louis XIV French. Yes, two 10 mm armies facing each othe. It was glorious!
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Absolutely
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - this year...
5) How many players were in the game? - Gennorm and I plus two new players.

This is the end of deployment, ignore Mr Spratt at the end there....
Great game. French artillery blew away one of my units by turn 2! That meant that for three shooting phases the two French guns scored at least one hit (5&6 on 2d6) and I failed a save (1 on a d6), which I dualy managed...
They charged one unit of my Dutch Guards with the French foot guards and another unit, both impact foot, outnumbering me 2:1, out classing me in morale, and they and lost!
:)
The French elite cavalry ploughed into my cavalry wing, and one of his units lost too! One of mine eventually broke, but it was enough to secure my flank.
However....
With their two infantry and one cavalry on my left broken, in reply to one infantry and one cavalry of mine,  (two Guard of units not wanting to fight, what is it about you and Guards Gennorm?), the French, with a smaller, more elite, and better army on the charge were worried.
Meanwhile, on the right, Mark's French cavalry could not miss, putting in an average of five hits a fight out of six (Impact mounted elites with a General on the way in, reroll any misses, YUCK!). Graham, with two of my cavalry shattered and broken, had to hold on, but were the cavalry contacts were far enough away to let him win the centre infantry tussle?
In the centre a combination of two batteries of artillery, the two Danish units and an Irish unit shot two approaching French infantry away why a well handled series of moves. Perfectly done, especially as the French morale Dice suddenly deserted them!
It only left the Dutch Guards to take the French artillery park that had caused to much consitination in the first half of the game for the Anglo-Dutch to walk away with a 18-7 win (or a masssive tonking for the French)!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The Anglo-Dutch have intercepted a coded intercept to Louis xIV himself...
Gennorm:
"Your majesty I have good news and bad news of our battle against the Engish pigdergs".
"Tres bien Luxembourg, what is the bad news?"
"We got absolutely hammered Mon Roi".
"Merde, what's the good news?"
"I got a purple caramel-hazelnut from the Quality Street :0)"

Gennorm

Quote from: mad lemmey on 27 January 2017, 07:11:16 AM
two Guard units not wanting to fight, what is it about you and Guards Gennorm?

I forgot my New Year's Resolution about giving up guards for 2017  :o

N