What was the last ruleset you played 2017?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 06 January 2017, 07:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Bloody Big Battles
2) What armies were confronted? - Prussians vs British at Dorking 1871
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

AAR to follow...

Roy

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Some't belonging to Bodvoc. [WW2 Iron Cross]

2) What armies were confronted? - German Heer vs Soviet ... bods?

3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Aye, it wasn't bad for a first game. Certainly worth another outing.

4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes.

5) How many players were in the game? - 4. How many knew what they were doing; 0? 1 at most  ;)
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Star Wars Armada
2) What armies were confronted? - Imperials vs Rebels.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - this year, yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 4.

The Imperials (us) took a mullering! All our big ships (4) taken down by a swarm of lighter Rebels (7). Our fighters won, but it's a long walk home with no hyperdrive! We had killed two Re el ships and mauled three men there,  it to no joy
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Luddite

Quote from: Steve J on 02 March 2017, 07:59:56 AM

2) What armies were confronted? - Prussians vs British at Dorking 1871

AAR to follow...

Chesney's masterpiece?

I did that a while back  Enormous fun!

http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Dorking

Really looking forwards to your AAR!   :-bd
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

DFlynSqrl

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? Warband
2) What armies were confronted? Hill Dwarves vs. Undead
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? Getting there
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? Yes
5) How many players were in the game? Solo test run

First couple of turns went a little slow as I kept double-checking rules stuff.  Then it flew right along.  The Undead took a pretty bad beating.  They never won a single initiative and the Dwarves had an exceptional general who had max CPs for two turns.  Also learned that bad placement of artillery can really limit their targets once troops start moving.  Looking forward to my first game with one of my gaming buddies here in the next week or two.

Leman

1. Flames of War

2. Soviets v Germans

3. Yes

4. No, about the third

5. I took part in three out of the five participation games that we (LWA) put on at Overlord in Abingdon on Sunday. One company of SS were holding a rather messed up section of a town against two companies of Soviet infantry and half a dozen T34s. Punters take on the role of the Soviets. Needless to say I got my head kicked in three times.

Overlord was a very good show, with about 30 traders there, so I managed to pick up some extra cavalry for Marlborough's army, a fighting Welsh princess for Saga, some Marlburian flags, a very nice pack of Ainsty gabions and the original Osprey on Marlborough's army from David Lanchester, at a much fairer price than Amazon are charging. Advice - when in Abingdon stick to the pubs near the Premier Inn side of town. 
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Bloody Big Battles
2) What armies were confronted? - Danes vs Schleswig-Holsteiners at Istedt 1850 during the 1st Schleswig-Holstein War
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very

A simply cracking game that was full of action from the off. Probably our best game so far with these rules. Am in process of writing up an AAR, but trying to capture all that went on will be tricky. At least their are plenty pf pics :D

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Star Wars Armada
2) What armies were confronted? - Rebels (my 12 year old daughter) vs Imperial Bullies (me)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - it was Imi's
5) How many players were in the game? - 2, and the cat!

Rule 1 when playing a twelve year old, you will lose! I did! 45 minutes! Only used the three starting ships, but she chewed me to pieces! Her dice were rolling critical after critical, I kept missing!  :o
She enjoyed it!  ;D
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

1. FoG

2. Alexandrian Imperial v. Porus' Indians

3. No

4. No, but still utterly bewildered

5. 5 - I had to admit that my understanding of the rules was only slightly better than my understanding of  Mandarin. Consequently next week we start Forlorn Hope.

paulr

Quote from: mad lemmey on 10 March 2017, 11:54:40 AM
Rule 1 when playing a twelve year old, you will lose! I did! 45 minutes! Only used the three starting ships, but she chewed me to pieces! Her dice were rolling critical after critical, I kept missing!  :o
She enjoyed it!  ;D

We all used up our good rolls decades ago ;)
And that is the point :D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

I forgot to mention that the head kicking I received at Abingdon was from a number of boys aged between five and twelve. Hopefully they are now sold on historical gaming.

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Leman on 10 March 2017, 08:02:37 PM
I forgot to mention that the head kicking I received at Abingdon was from a number of boys aged between five and twelve. Hopefully they are now sold on historical gaming.

So long as it wasn't in Abingdon's dodgy pubs! Speaking of which, I remembered there is one excellent one, the Spread Eagle, just up the road from the venue for the Overlord show. Try the "safari rock":
http://www.thespreadeagle.org.uk/menus/steak-on-a-stone/

Chris

sunjester

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Frostgrave
2) What armies were confronted? - Magnor the Malevolent (Necromancer) vs Khanberra (Elementalist)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very, but we must scan a couple of the tables to add to our QRS, too much time spent flicking through the rule book.

Great fun was had and we invented a new game....Genie Ping Pong! Full explanation on the blog for those who are interested http://grahamsgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Duke Speedy of Leighton

paulr

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - General Quarters I/II with Pre-Dreadnought mods
2) What armies navies were confronted? - Ottoman v Greeks
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Second time with the Pre-Dreadnought mods and the first with the the halved ground scale and scaled up AF and DF
5) How many players were in the game? - 5 - 2 Ottoman v 3 Greek

This was a refight of the Battle of Elli, 16 December 1912.

The Ottomans sortied from the Dardanelles with two battleships, two ironclads, a protected cruiser and four destroyers.

The Greeks had three battleships, an armoured cruiser and four destroyers to stop them.

After some early manoeuvring both 'battle lines' are engaging at about 2,500 yards :o
While the Ottoman light ships attempt to head off the Greek heavy ships.

The Greek Armoured Cruiser breaks the enemy line :o crossing the T of the Ottoman battleships at about 1,000 yards :o :o
The Ottoman destroyers launch all available torpedoes

The Greek Armoured Cruiser narrowly avoids the four torpedoes that headed in her direction #:-S
The lead Greek battleship was expecting all the torpedoes to be aimed at the Greek Armoured Cruiser and is steaming at a steady 17 knots when two of the six torpedoes aimed at her slam home :o :o

The Ottoman ships turn and head for the Dardanelles as rapidly as they can while the Greek battleships are thrown into confusion avoiding the rapidly sinking Psara (marked with a 'purple dice of death')

The Ottoman ships return to Constantinople and their commanders are all promoted :)
The Greek Commanders are all transferred to shore posts as soon as their replacements arrive to take over the blockade :(
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!