What was the last ruleset you played 2017?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 06 January 2017, 07:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Womble67

Quote from: petercooman on 02 September 2017, 04:52:42 PM
nice pictures Andy! Some great buildings in those battles!

Thanks for the nice comments

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb, being in essential occupations, are unlikely to see action unless the Confederation break through to Trumpton city itself. At that point Colonel Wood, Trumpton Home Defence Force, may well have to call the fire brigade.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fred.

Quote from: Leman on 03 September 2017, 08:20:56 AM
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb, being in essential occupations, are unlikely to see action unless the Confederation break through to Trumpton city itself. At that point Colonel Wood, Trumpton Home Defence Force, may well have to call the fire brigade.

;D

Your Camberwick green game is genius. Bonkers, but genius.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? -  Rommel
2) What armies were confronted? - DAK vs 8th Army
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? -   Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 4 (2 vs 2)

Rommel is an operational level WWII game, with each base being a company, its played on a gridded game surface, so no tape measures. It gives a good game, but in someways didn't feel very WWII - I think partly due to a lot of the special WWII bits either being too low level so are abstracted out, or are tactics on the Command Post, which end up just being combat modifiers, so loose some of their feel.

Full AAR over on the Honor forum http://www.sammustafa.com/honour-forums/general-discussion-and-announcements-46/operation-brevity/msg27154/#msg27154

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

petercooman

fred.

Quote from: petercooman on 03 September 2017, 09:12:55 PM
Great way of making a gridded surface  :-bd :-bd

Ta - at first I just marked the corners with chalk - but it was too hard to see. So I put tiny piles of grit on each corner, and that worked well. As you can see in this photo they get a bit disrupted after a few hours of play, but it still works.

Ithoriel

Good looking game. Thanks for this.

Your comments reinforce my prepublication view of "Rommel" so maybe I'll hold off on getting the rulebook a while yet. I'm sure I can find other uses for thirty quid. :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

I got the PDF for expediency, planning to get the book when it was available in the UK, and the PDF is only £15.

I'm not sure I'm going to get the book - not least because the rules are well written and easy to pick up even from reading on screen. I'll see how much we play it before deciding on the rule book - once we get into the advance rules the book might be useful for reference.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jfariahitech

My contribution for the thread.

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Battlegroup
2) What armies were confronted? - British Airborne vs German SS Division
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Oh yes!
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No. I played it since the beginning of the BG project.
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

Cheers
:)

fred.

09 September 2017, 09:15:47 PM #281 Last Edit: 09 September 2017, 09:17:54 PM by fred.
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Rommel
2) What armies were confronted? - British vs German SS - Normandy
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Second Game
5) How many players were in the game? - 5

This was our second game of Rommel, and we all found it a lot better than the first one last week - I think partly as their are a lot of new concepts and abstraction in the rules, in the first game you spend a lot of time thinking about how things need to work, and probably over-think things.

But in this second game, we just were able to get on and play. The rules make the game seem strategic. Units that go careering off, end up isolated, hard to activate, and generally not that much use. Which all feels right. But a steady attack with infantry and tanks supporting each other, while unspectacular does keep on grinding forwards and is much more effective over a number of turns.

Definitely glad we gave it another go.

One of the chaps now has the hard copy rules, and they look good, so more tempted to get the book now!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

Nice looking game.

Oh dear, now I'm back to considering getting the rules.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

Quote from: Ithoriel on 09 September 2017, 10:17:43 PM
Nice looking game.

Thanks. Although none of the terrain is mine - just the figures.

Quote from: Ithoriel on 09 September 2017, 10:17:43 PM
Oh dear, now I'm back to considering getting the rules.
Sorry. All 5 of us were happy after the game last night - which is pretty rare for us as a group with anything new - it took us the best part of 2 years to agree on a set of home brew Fantasy rules, after spending several years flitting between commercial sets.