What was the last ruleset you played 2017?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 06 January 2017, 07:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Again, Pixie precedes me.  :)

There is some discussions about Massed units at the Impetus forum - http://impetus.ativiforum.com/f9-baroque-the-rules
That forum is an excellent resource for rules interpretation (lots of very experienced players plus the designer). Zippee, who often posts here at a Pendraken, is very knowledgeable and good at logically answering questions.

My take is that a Massed unit should be represented by having (at least) a second rank with more depth to the stand. Also, because I use it to represent various levies, mobs, etc - the Melee bonus is set to (MM+1) not (MM+2 or +3). Too much I think! The original Impetus rules allowed you to create "Large" units by placing one behind the other so I think the doubled depth for Massed is the intent in Baroque.

The nature of the battles I do does not afford much opportunity to use large number of horse so no experience with I Massed horse.

Incidently, I've pretty much eliminated most of my house rules (as of last week) in favor of Baroque as written. Since I always play by scenario, I've found that with all the adjustments that can be made to values and characteristics, I can make the unique units I need.

Good luck with your upcoming game with more conventional armies!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

toxicpixie

I much prefer the Massed rule in baroque to Large in Impetus - I was quite disappointed they kept Large in Basic Impetus 2 :(
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Warband
2) What armies were confronted? - High Elves vs Goblins
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - nope
5) How many players were in the game? - two

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15867.0.html
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - The Pikemen's Lament
2) What armies were confronted? - Dutch vs Swedes in North America c1650
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - A bit rusty as it's been a while since I played.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2-3 as it was a demo game at Salute.

sunjester

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - The Men Who Would Be Kings
2) What armies were confronted? - 1920s Canadians and Americans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Not for me, but it was an introduction game for my opponent. It went well, we had 2 games and he had picked up the basics by about turn 3.
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKCII
2) What armies were confronted? - Italian Expeditionary Corps in Russian vs 2nd Line Russians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo

A while since I played these rules, but they felt really good and nice to be playing them again. The plan is to repeat the scenario, but with BKCIII rules, but probably using the BKCII stats given the current issues with the army lists.

Leman

1. Field of Glory 2.

2. USA v CSA

3. Very comfortable with these rules these days

4. No - been using these since published

5. Two player game.

To achieve victory one side had to control both the Union crossroads and the Confederate ridge. Knowing how the game works now, we breezed through the cards and the scenario. As the Union I was totally stymied by the fact that my artillery could not unlimber and give the Confederate some welly, but instead got pounded while in column (narrative... the newly appointed battery commander was still wet behind the ears and panicked under fire). Similarly the Union cavalry rode too close to the Confederates before dismounting - in fact they never got the chance, being shot up by Confederate troops concealed in the very woods the cavalry were supposed to occupy on foot.
Never mind though because this gave us a chance to swap sides and give it another go. As the Confederate I adopted a different plan, got a superb run of cards and was able to whittle the Union down to zero morale points. Unfortunately time was now moving on and the Union passed the army morale roll, so we called it a day.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKCIII
2) What armies were confronted? - KursK Era Germans vs Russians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - No
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - BKCIII yes, BKC no.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two

Game abandoned part way through turn 4. BKC2 game arranged for next weekend.

'nuff said.
[/quote]
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

Re 2nd one above - it was Field of Battle 2!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKCIII (3)
2) What armies were confronted? - Italian Expeditionary Corps in Russian vs 2nd Line Russians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Not bad for a first game
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo

Quite a quick game but one that flowed nicely and didn't cause me any real concerns in terms of the rules. Any grey areas I just used common sense combined with my experience of BKCII. When BKCII came out I remember Pete Jones had to clarify quite a few things early on, so I expect the same with this version. There are some nice ideas within these rules, which I'm very happy with. But as with BKCII, I'm sure I will tweak things to how I and my friends play. So for a first game I'm pretty impressed.

Yes there are areas that need addressing, such as parts of the Army Lists, but at the core I feel that these are a sound set of rules. Not everyone will like them, but when did all wragmers agree on a set of rules!

Astronomican

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - AK47
2) What armies were confronted? - British-backed Africans (my opponent) versus Soviet-backed Africans (me)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

toxicpixie

Astronomicon, was that "O-AK" or the newer re-release? Loved the old, was not overly with the newer. Cleaned up the rules and cleaned out the character too IMO :(
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Astronomican

Newer version, I never played the older one. I like the simplistic approach of AK47, and no two games are ever the same.

toxicpixie

The newer wasn't a "bad" set of rules, and Gnu knows the original needed tidying up and proof reading etc, but they lurched so far away from the interesting and quirky bits and too far to the "conventional" wargame for is (and others). Shame, as my 15mm AK figures have just gathered dust in the loft for ages now, since my copy of O-AK went walk about.

I did acquire a copy of the old rules from a fellow forumite, but I've yet to bludgeon anyone into playing at the club. I really should!

Chris Pringle

I usually abstain from this thread because nobody wants to hear me chirping about BBB every other week. But I'll make an exception today:

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BBB
2) What armies were confronted? - French and Prussian 1870 - Mars-la-Tour, a classic.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 3

Just one of the most tense and exciting and enjoyable games ever. Grossly outnumbered aggressive Prussians hurling themselves at masses of ponderous French who were trying to break out to the west. Four objective towns along the escape route. Plenty of moments of high drama and low comedy along the way. On the very last turn, all four towns were assaulted by one side or the other, the result absolutely in the balance, all outcomes still possible.

As it turned out, my Germans lost, but I've rarely had so much fun losing.

The game was played on Crispin's custom-made terrain. We're considering giving it an outing at Warfare in Reading in November.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/