Reduce the mountain!! 2017 painting progress!

Started by petercooman, 05 January 2017, 02:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Spent ages painting this one!

3rd line lancers from Jacquinot's division.

Somehow the middle pennants look like black and white, but all are white and red.  think the shadow was playing with the camera!

12 models added

252 models finished!

And more importantly, all cavalry i have lying about (in 28mm) have been finished!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Norm

Oh Peter! just when I pack my 28's away so that I can crack on with other stuff .......... you make me get them back out again!

Very nice, I am assuming the cav are on 60mm frontages?

petercooman

They are 60 x 45. Based for napolonic wargaming by neil thomas.

They lack the command models, but seeing they cost me 12£ in a warlord games sprue sale I'm not too picky  ;)

I wonder if they would suit black powder too. Infantry are based on 45 x 40.

All units are made up of 4 bases.

Norm

The only requirement that Black Powder has is that Small, Standard and Large sized units can be represented. If you take your 4 bases (200mm) as standard, then going to 3 bases for small and 5 or even 6 bases for large would work fine. For myself, I think you could get away with 3 x 50mm bases for standard (6") with inches converted to either half inch or a centimetre.

petercooman

Is there any problem with only using standard size units? I'm guessing no, but wanted to check anyway.

I've been looking at the waterloo starter for black powder lately (and the la haye sainte set) so am interested how my forces would fit in.

Although the more I look at the buildings in that set, the less interest I have. The 4 ground farm just looks way better.( the warlord games buildings has no interior)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I use the same sized bases, with more or less figures on it!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

Problem is, I already have 6 cavalry regiments and 16 infantry regiments. All 3 cav/6 infantry to a bsse (except the lifeguard  they have 2 cav per base). All are 4 bases strong

Toying with the idea of mounting two skirmishers on a 20x40 base to add to the side to denote larger units. Or just mark them as a large or small unit.

Norm

Just sticking with standard sized units is fine - if you were doing a historical scenario and simply had to reflect a large unit, then as you suggest that can easily be accommodated.

petercooman

Duke Speedy of Leighton

No, the unit takes x hits, shakes, then breaks. So units are only removed when no longer combat effective (or completely knackered)!

petercooman

Ok.

Might be able to extend the unit frontage for big units using a mounted officer then, justput him on a 30x40 base and pop him inbetween the command stand an the troops.  :D :D :D

fred.

I wouldn't worry too much about the smaller and larger units. We hardly ever used them in HC. Small is easy, just use 2 stands. For large either just use a couple of stands from another unit, or use your base extending tactics!!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts