Reduce the mountain!! 2017 painting progress!

Started by petercooman, 05 January 2017, 02:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

05 January 2017, 02:32:47 PM Last Edit: 05 January 2017, 02:45:15 PM by petercooman
So as i said a couple of days ago, one of the things i want to do this year is to get as much models painted as possible.

Instead of flooding the forum with one post after the other, like i did in december, i thought it would be better to keep track of things in one thread, just like Fred does.

I'll start this thread with my fiirst painted models of the year, some uruk hai for LOTR SBG.

10 uruk hai finished

And 11 more that are actually finished, but without flock.

I was wondering what to do with my bases, as i said here:
http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15355.0.html

I think i'll just try the flock, so have basecoated these ready to slap it on when it arrives.

So i'll include them into the count as all the painting is done.

Models finished: 21 !!!

Edit: It wasn't untill i saw the pictures that i realised how flat the leather on the uruk hai scouts looked, so i gave them a brown wash just now  :-bd

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

Got another 16 uruk hai finished (again still need flock):

The one on the right is actually a spare Lurtz model with a greenstuf helmet. Has been part painted for years and finally finished him.
These are the last of my armoured uruks, Have already started on the lighter troops:

So far i'm happy with my output!
Models finished: 37 !!!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

08 January 2017, 02:45:07 PM #5 Last Edit: 08 January 2017, 02:48:07 PM by petercooman
Finished The last of my uruk-hai, and changed some bits on the scouts i painted the last time. Also had a go at painting some white hands on them. Really annoying stuff. But they'll look ok all bunched togheter!

Bit of a dark gloomy picture that shows the hands

The one in the middle has quite a weird handprint, I'll let it be like that though, maybe he smeared a bit  ;D

Models finished: 60!!!

And suddenly i have everything for Amon Hen painted and ready to go! I was going to put some effort in this year, but didn't expect to have a complete force finished by the end of the first week! If i keep going at this rate i'll burn through the flock pretty fast though, and it hasn't even arrived yet  ;D ;D ;D

Don't know what will be up next, maybe warriors of minas thirith, or moria goblins. Was going to do rohan first, but i'll wait for my lancers from warlord games to arrive, so i can paint all the horses at the same time (yaaaay horses  =) =) =) =) )

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

paulr

=D> =D> =D>

Amazing what a bit of focus can achieve  :)

It might be an idea to do the horses in a couple of batches with something else in between seeing you like painting horses so much ;)
I find working in smaller batches stops me being overwhelmed and stalling.

You will have to take some notes on how you painted the horses so you can paint the other batch(es) similarly.
I use 5 standard horse types; chestnut, bay, brown, black, dun.

petercooman

Quote from: paulr on 08 January 2017, 05:35:07 PM

You will have to take some notes on how you painted the horses so you can paint the other batch(es) similarly.
I use 5 standard horse types; chestnut, bay, brown, black, dun.

I tend to work by colours. I have 22 horses to paint, so 'll paint all theones in the same colour first.then the next colour and so on. You can sve a lot of time if you get one colour done in one go. just make sure you divide the poses evenly, so you get some in every colour (doesn't matter to me that much, because the riders are all separate and i can mix and match as much as i want afterwards!

Quote from: paulr on 08 January 2017, 05:35:07 PM
=D> =D> =D>

Amazing what a bit of focus can achieve  :)

Yes just imagine if i had painted for a week when i bought these, i would have had them game ready for years now. But to be honest i used to paint a lot slower. Practice makes perfect!

petercooman

No painting this time, but progress none the less.

Last year i was given some battered up warg riders by a collegue. He had found them in a lot of stuff he had bought (he buys/sells a lot of second hand stuff). I kept them in a box untill i had time to do something with them. Finally decided to get them patched up and ready for painting.

I gave them all riders, using whatever spare minis i had, and made some saddles and some fur with green stuff so they would fit properly. Bit of a quick job, but i think they will look OK once painted. Beats having to buy some anyway  ;D

3 of the riders are moria goblins, but as orcs come in different sizes, they will do fine!

petercooman

So, i  started painting my batch of warriors of minas tirith yesterday, and i just finished them up.

In the back of the picture you can see the wargs are also on their way. I have 27 men of minas tirith, so adding them to the total:

models finished 87 !!!

Would be good for moral if i could hit 100 by the end of this week, but with this being my last day off work it will be a challenge to make that mark!

paulr

Well done that man =D>

The white trees look good :-bd =D> :-bd

petercooman

Techno