Change to Pricing on Custom Orders

Started by Leon, 04 January 2017, 10:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

04 January 2017, 10:25:48 PM Last Edit: 22 April 2021, 09:52:13 AM by Leon
We've always been happy to put together custom orders for folks, be it a few figures from one code, a gun without crews from another code, etc.  When pricing these orders, we would just work on a base price per figure calculated from the pack prices.  At the moment that would be 18.3p per foot figure (£5.50 / 30 foot per pack) or 36.7p per cavalry figure, and then other items like guns or limbers were done in the same way.  

Sadly, it's becoming less viable to continue doing things like this.  Just to put a mould in the machine and spin it costs about 60p in labour and whatnot, and that's before we take into account the cost of any metal used.  So putting together a custom order of only a few figures from a list of codes really reduces our output and can in some cases start to cost us money.  We're still happy to do these orders, but we're going to have to start pricing them a little differently:

Foot = 20p per figure.
Cavalry = 40p per figure.
Artillery = £1.25 per gun / 20p per crewmen (based on a 3 gun pack, each with 4 crewmen)
Limbers = £3.00 per limber and horse team (based on a 2 limber pack)

Other items/packs will be priced in a similar manner.

Obviously we won't be charging people more than a regular pack would cost, so if you wanted 28 foot figures this would be the regular pack price of £5.50, rather than £5.60 (28 x 20p).  At this point though, you'd be better off just buying the regular 30-man pack anyway, and just having a few spares!

There's likely to be a few queries along the way, so let us know if there's any questions on this.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

GrumpyOldMan

Hi Leon

Thanks for the info. I, for one, don't have any problem at all with this. I appreciate the great service we get and paying a little extra to cover weird/unusual requests is hardly a great impost.

Incidentally the mountain guns for the Afghan artillery to replace the incorrect 9 pounders have just arrived. It could have waited until my next order but pleased nevertheless :).

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Ithoriel

I agree - no problem with this at all.

You've always been very good about providing the occasional odds & ends I've asked for and it seems a fairly small price to pay to keep the service available.

It may not always sound like it but I think we all realise you're running a business not a charity! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Sounds very reasonable to me :)

I always felt a bit guilty about my orders which were mainly part packs :-[ ;D

Still cheaper than at least one competitor's standard packs, don't tell Leon ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

No problems with that, might teach me to count!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

PB

sunjester

I think this is very reasonable. Offering customers a bespoke service is still more than most other companies do!

fsn

What's "whatnot"?

On the upside, I can see that it's better for Pendraken Incorporated Inc to sensibly price these orders. On the downside, you may be "legitimising" the system, so those who wouldn't normally ask for bespoke may now do so. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Le Manchou

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Chad

mollinary

Absolutely agree. It is only fair to do this, and your willingness to accommodate customers' weird and wonderful requirements is legendary!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Techno

....And I agree with Chad and Mollinary !

I can't see anyone being able to genuinely complain that, "That's not fair."

Cheers - Phil.

Steve J

Fine by me as I often order mixes of figures etc rather than full packs.

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...