Early Air war Korea

Started by Sunray, 31 December 2016, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

I don't do aerial combat between fighters, but with BKC/CWC it is prudent to be cognisant as to who as air superiority at any given time in a conflict and possess a few ground attack types that perform over the table when required.

US army Intel shows the KPAF - with 132 obsolete Soviet piston types including PO-2 biplanes - were in the thick of it during the early weeks of the war.
The   IL-2 and  LA7 were the key models in service.   Indeed despite US air superiority being gained by the end of June, the KPAF continued to time sorties with when they US aircraft went to refuel !  They managed these "guerrilla style" tactics until July 19, 1950.

ZVEZDA do very passable IL-2s and LA-5s for under £3.   They just add to the South Korean misery on the retreat and rearguard actions southward and the sneaky tactics until July 19, add spice to American deployments.   

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Tumbling Dice do excellent Korean stuff, just never painted mine!!!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Terry37

North Korea also had some IL-10s in their air force.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Sunray

Quote from: Terry37 on 01 January 2017, 01:19:55 AM
North Korea also had some IL-10s in their air force.

Terry

Indeed they did Terry. about 90 when the war began.  If you car get a cheap and cheerful model well and good.   The Zvezda model is close enough for me to be the "Beast" in all its variants

Sunray

Quote from: Sunray on 01 January 2017, 10:20:54 AM
Indeed they did Terry. about 90 when the war began.  If you car get a cheap and cheerful model well and good.   The Zvezda model is close enough for me to be the "Beast" in all its variants

I have read a review of the Zvezda kit.  The canopy is a solid lump of moulded clear plastic.  If you really wanted the IL-10 Beast as opposed to the Bark, would the Stuka canopy- or indeed any other 1/144 in the spares box do the trick?  Another option would be to cut the canopy and insert a Peter Pig 1/144 gunner? 

I am no expert on Soviet WW2 aircraft but don't see a lot of differences in the airframe.