Warband Dragonmen and Dark Elves released!

Started by Leon, 30 December 2016, 10:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeleye

Ok I'm going to be honest here...which will probably piss some people off.

Oh well hear goes.

Left handed archers? I'm not saying that there never were left handed archers but I've never seen any pictures of any. Yes you can get away with left handed melee weapon fighters, but I draw the line at archers.

Shields, ok these are fantasy figures but round shields? Might work if they're lower class fighters. Also it looks like you've molded dragons onto the shield faces, something that'll need to be filed/cut off.

Poses, all the poses look a little wooden in the photographs, I hope they're better in the 'flesh'. Also the horses look a little odd, like they're crouched down or something.

Having said this I will be ordering some in the near future. I mean, I've been waiting for these for ages and no one does anything better that fits in with the other figures in the fantasy range.

I'll also be ordering some of those Dark Elf witches. As long as they haven't got long flappy, pointy ears (or at least ears that can be quickly remodeled) and they're not all wearing WWII RAF life jackets, they might be useful as an Amazon Army.

All in all and after waiting so long for these guys I'm just a little disappointed, I hope that they look better in the flesh than in the photos...and before anyone asks; yes I have made my own figures...its bloody difficult which is why I gave it up!

Techno

Doesn't pee me off, at all, Steeleye.

I know that I'll never please every single gamer 100% of the time.....I just have to accept that.  ;)

Yes.....The 'kite' (?) shields HAVE got a dragon's head on them. My thought there, was that a lot of/most (?) folk would find it more convenient to have something 'ready and waiting' rather than having to paint on their own designs.....Basically trying to save folk time there.  ;)....In your case, obviously not....Sorry !

I did  'boob reductions' on the witch elves......So they've not got 'beach ball' chests, anymore....They may have got the tiniest bit  of pointy ear showing  :-\....I truly can't remember........ they've been away from Techno Towers for so long.

Cheers - Phil

fsn

I don't want to get into an argument, but why not have left handed archers? My understanding is that left handedness was more common, but when we started doing things like writing, then there as a social norm to become right handed. The companies that came to David at Ziklag, (1 Chron. xii. 2,) " were armed with bows, and could use both the right hand and the left."*

Besides, it's fantasy. You're OK with dragon riders, but balk at left handers? It's a bit like a letter I saw sent to the Catwoman comic, saying that a woman of her build could not perform the gymnastics depicted. To which the answer was "you believe a man can fly, another can run at the speed of sound and a third can create physical apparitions from his willpower, but you don't believe a generously endowed woman can do backflips."

http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/left-eye-dominance-and-archery.html#sthash.wMqLtxDk.dpbs

*https://www.archerylibrary.com/books/guide/docs/chapter1_1.html
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Bodvoc

I was left handed until I went to school (in the sixties) and was 'encouraged' to be right-handed as writing is easier that way. I discovered a year ago when doing some archery with my daughters on an adventure holiday that I am a left handed archer, no big surprise to me as I play snooker left-handed and am/was left-footed for football.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

O Dinas Powys

Amazing what you can do with a can of Stella!  :-\ ;)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Techno

Ahem.........I hadn't got any thin enough brass sheet to use as a former for the wings......So the cans of stella (Flattened and cut out with a scalpel were very useful).....

Blimey.....Were those still here when you came for your visit Meirion ?  :o

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

How much bigger than the old dragon are they?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

The body, tail and heads are basically the same, Will....with some repairs and tweaks (and legs ?).....
From memory  =) I did a complete revamp on the wings.....So those are bigger than the originals.

Cheers - Phil

Terry37

I'm not sure what "stella" is but those look like great conversions.

In regards south paws/left handers, I had a young lady work for me who was left handed, but as has been mentioned it was frowned upon in school, so she taught her self to write backwards. That is starting with the end of the sentence and going to the beginning starting at the right edge of the paper! And she was extremely quick at it too. it was the darnedest thing to watch her do it.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Techno on 01 January 2017, 08:28:00 PM
Ahem.........I hadn't got any thin enough brass sheet to use as a former for the wings......So the cans of stella (Flattened and cut out with a scalpel were very useful).....

Blimey.....Were those still here when you came for your visit Meirion ?  :o

Cheers - Phil

I think it may have been the vultures you were working on, but mentined that you'd used the same technique on the dragons' wings  ;)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Techno

Aaaaah.......That makes sense !

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steeleye

I had no opinion on the dragon riders themselves so didn't bother mentioning them.

Glad to hear the Witch Elves have had a boob reduction...now there's something I never thought I'd hear myself say! Hopefully a sharp craft knife will solve the 'pointy ears' problem.

Most people are right handed and in all the illustrations from the Medieval period I can remember seeing, archers are right handed. On another board where I occasionally comment there is a thread about 'Facts v Fanfic'. The consensus there seems to be that as long as you get the little details right (like the correct number of bullets in a certain type of gun or left handed archers) people will let the big non-facts like...let me think...dragons pass by almost un-noticed as long as there's a good reason for them to exist in the setting you're writing about.

Genom

My understanding from one of my mates who used to be an under 16 champion is that the hand you hold the bow in should be the opposite to your dominant eye So if like me you are left eyed, you should hold the bow in your right hand. That always seemed awkward as everything you see normally they have the bow in the left hand. But being right handed and left eyed meant that theoretically I should have been a good archer as my dominant right hand would provide a stronger base to fire from.

quasar42

I too am interested in the size of the Dragonmen. Bigger horses is good because that should fit better with the (now disconintued) 10mm fantasy range of a certain other company, which had oversized horses. The foot figures of that range though were a good match with the Pendraken historical figures. Any chance of having a comparison photo of the Dragonmen footknights alongside a Pendraken historical knight?