20mm Winter War

Started by Aksu, 23 December 2016, 05:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aksu

Hullo,
Our GM Eero posted a long report of our CoC campaign battle two, with many pictures of his 20 mm Collection
http://www.guildwargamers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=43186
Cheers,
Aksu

Techno

Excellent !!  :-bd

Wottalottapiccies......I thought the two b&w shots were rather evocative !  8)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Beautiful figures and terrain.
Great report too
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sunjester

Steve J

Nice to see this campaign being wargamed.

fred.

I enjoyed that report. Really looks like hordes of Russians.

Kind of surprised that the Finns didn't do better. What rating are they and the Russians in CoC?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fsn

How much different would it have been if that first satchel charge had done it's job?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Aksu

Thanks for the comments. Both sides are green still, I suspect the Finns will become regular soon. The Finns do suffer from lack of good weapons at this stage. Their squads have only the crappy domestic automatic rifle in comparison to the Decent LMG the russians have. We do give bunker-like bonuses to troops in trenches, and we have made bunkers even tougher than normal CoC, but in general Winter War does prove challenging to most game systems. If the overwhelming numbers of Soviets start shooting, Finns will take casualties. Which they can't really afford. At least in CoC the shock caused on the Soviets will slow and stop them, which is a good simulation IMHO.
We will probably use the WW1 sustained fire MG rules to make it even tougher for the brave liberators from the East to breach the fortified lines of the plucky Finns.
Anyway, I need to post the results of the latest game we had. Tired and Emotional Russians were counter attacked during the night by a small force of surviving Finns and some reinforcements.
Cheers,
Aksu

fred.

If both sides are green then it will be hard going. I guess I was thinking of later war Finns who would probably rate Elite. We tried one game of CoC with Elite US Airborne vs Green German defenders - it was over rather quickly. The Germans could barely hit the US even in the open!

If you improve the quality of the Finns then they should take fewer casualties, as they will be harder to hit. But if the Russians are putting out lots of dice, they will get lucky.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Not often you can say "powerful 45mm gun" with a straight face!

There's something wrong with our bloody satchel charges today.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Roy

that all looks really cool!  :D
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}