Fred - 2017 Painting Diary

Started by fred., 22 December 2016, 05:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DFlynSqrl

d_Guy

Despite not fully understanding the subtleties of who is who (or, maybe what is what) I like looking at you games because they are colorful, violent and fun!   :) :-bd
Sleep with clean hands ...

fred.

Quote from: d_Guy on 11 July 2017, 04:31:38 PM
Despite not fully understanding the subtleties of who is who (or, maybe what is what) I like looking at you games because they are colorful, violent and fun!   :) :-bd

;D ;D

That cheered me up after a crappy afternoon.

In this report its extra confusing as both sides have Cold Ones (big lizard cavalry). Also not really helped as lots of units have bespoke names, which I'm sure means little to anyone.

I'm now thinking colourful is an important criteria in a battle report, and will aim to ensure this happens as much as possible.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

Great stuff again, Forbes.

Cheers - Phil

fred.

Actually got some stuff painted - even if it was just with a spray can!

Some Pendraken Lizardmen, and flying snake things, large craters, some MM Djinn and Giant Snake riders. And some 15mm tanks and trucks.

Even managed to get a blue wash on the Djinn a bit after taking the photo.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

Coming on nicely

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Looking forward to seeing those progress, Forbes. :)

Cheers - Phil

fred.

Thanks chaps

Quote from: mad lemmey on 16 July 2017, 11:42:29 PM
Certainly an eclectic mix!

For me its fairly coherent, just 4 projects...

Game - Lizardmen vs Undead
Although painting is fairly limited at the minute, I am at least getting in regular Friday night games, which are a great unwind from the week.

The Lizardmen got another outing (to see if they could extend their winning streak). This time against Undead of the skeletal kind.

We tried out some scouting pre-game rules, which the lizardmen with their many skirmishers and flyers won convincingly. This allowed a new scenario, where the looser of the scouting game (the undead) had to deploy in a cramped 3' zone. Whereas the winners (the lizardmen) had the full length of the table to deploy into.

I deployed fairly few troops on the left, as the river cut that side of the board, a lot of infantry in the middle, and some infantry and my cavalry on the right (out of shot). I didn't want to spread out too much, as the lizardmen seem to do better when kept as a big block that can chop up the enemy in combat, rather than swanning around the flanks with lots of maneovering - leave that to the Elves!

This is the end of the first turn, with both armies having advanced, and the undead trying to unbox themselves a bit.

At this stage I was a bit worried - I was outnumbered 3:2 in units (although points wise the armies are the same). I thought I would loose the grind of combat.

Battle is Joined

Lots of combat in the middle, going in favour of the lizardmen. Lots of low quality skeletons 'killed', but its the 4 bone giants that are the worry to me.I lost a few units to the long range shooting of the rock lobbers, but nothing too serious.  

I'd ended up pulling my cavalry back towards the centre, while the undead ended up spreading themselves wide, without ever really doing anything.
In the middle the Lizardmen where snapping bones of the skeletons. I'd managed to take out the two bone giants on the right without too much trouble.

The End

The undead through in the towel at this point - we had gone with slightly too big a game so ran out of time before a definite conclusion.
But in the middle there are virtually no undead units. On the right flank, I have flanked the infantry on the hill, and my infantry is available to attack it from the front.
On the left I have blocked up about a dozen undead units with just 2 of mine (and the river).
It was about 2:1 in casualties in favour of the lizardmen.

I think the size of the game was against the undead commander, who had far too many units to deal with, and struggled to make good choices. This size of game would have been more suited to 2 players a side.

Techno

Great stuff, Forbes !

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Thanks chaps

Looking back at those photos they are a good example of why auto white balance isn't a good thing for photos!

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

Great report and it's probably just my eyes but I couldn't fault the pics :).

Good to see that your rules set is progressing.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Terry37

A really great looking game. Makes me want to get out my Narnia army or my LotR army! Or my Halloween army would be fun too!!!

Your armies look great too!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

paulr

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 19 July 2017, 12:02:28 AM
Great report and it's probably just my eyes but I couldn't fault the pics :).

Have a look at the different 'colours' of the base cloth in the four pictures and the river in pictures 1 an 4
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!