Squad vs Platoon

Started by Itinerant Hobbyist, 20 December 2016, 06:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itinerant Hobbyist

I really like BKCII, favorite set. One thing that "bugs" me is there is no difference in playing it so a base is a squad vs a base being a platoon. I've played it both ways and am comfortable doing it that way moving forward. But I wonder if there should be some small rule differences when playing one vs the other?

Are the concerns of the company commander different than the Battalion/regimental commander?

Change the scale of movement or firing?

Just looking for conversation.

fred.

To me at the squad level (were a tank is  a tank) then I find the hit model is a bit odd. A tank is dead or alive, its hard for it to be wounded. And harder to understand what them shrugging off of wounds at the end of a turn represents. So perhaps I would play with leaving wounds on (certainly for tanks).

But when playing at the platoon level the players often treat the platoons as individual tanks (probably because they are represented by single models). So this is probably more of a mental representation issue than anything else.

Rules changes - for squad level
Mortars - perhaps these should use a template at the squad level.
Weapon Ranges - these probably should be increased - perhaps doubled?

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Orcs

I tend to play at a Stand= a platoon level. this too leaves some oddities. Ie a Brit WW2 tank platoon had only one firefly until nearly the end of the war, how do you represent this?  I get round it by fielding the correct ration of models.

I still have a problem with the targeting of a single stand with mortars - they are an area affect weapon, but again if the stand represents the area a platoon is in, its correct. It just does not sit with my brain cell(s?)  :)

For squad level I would add the following

Allocate 2"/50mm mortars, as an upgrade (like A/T rifles) and allow base to fire as small arms OR mortar. (1 dice for HE) Ignore cover like walls and hedges.

For smoke
Hits arming point on 5 or 6 otherwise roll for deviation.  Produces 2" of smoke where it lands until end of firing players next go

LMGs
Upgrade as  A/T rifles to stand. Adds a single dice to that stands firing.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

BanzaiBeagle

Another problem with a squad is a squad is a squad... The Italians had very large squads of 20 men with two squads per platoon and 3 platoons per infantry company. Each squad was organized into a rifle section of 10 men plus the NCO squad leader and a light machine gun section of 2 LMGs, 8 men plus the junior NCO deputy squad leader. This was a unique organization that has certain tactical implications that could easily be replicated in BKC but are not due to the "squad is a squad is a squad" army list organization. An Italian squad was not equal to a Brit squad.

Genom

If you're playing with squads, then sometimes you just need to field more 'rules' squads to make up a proper squad. I know for instance when I field my Russians, (we play at platoon level)  I just ensure that I have a higher number of stands when I make up the company.

The hit mechanism I've always considered to be part kills, part keeping your heads down, The extra level of suppression is just when it gets really bad and they have to be chivvied along to get them all moving again. 

Techno

As that was your first post, BanzaiBeagle......A warm welcome to the forum.

Cheers - Phil