BBB Bregalnitza 1913

Started by KTravlos, 16 December 2016, 07:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KTravlos

The next scenario in mine and Chris Pingle's Balkan War series is done. The first battle of the 2nd Balkan war,Bregalnitza 1913.

The first battle of the 2nd Balkan War. The Bulgarian 4th and 5th armies attack along an 80 mile front with the goal of securing Stip and dividing the Serbian 1st and 3rd Army. The attack gained the operational surprise (though the Serb high command expected it at the strategic level). However, the Serbians were able to beat it and then counter-attack. This in turn was checked by the Bulgarians. Both armies suffered heavy losses, and both sides had a great difficulty motivating their troops. The scenario covers the actions of the 4th Bulgarian Army. The battle was contemporaneous to the Battles of Kilkis-Lahana and Dioran.
As always you can find it either in the Bloody Big Battles Yahoo Group or my blog

http://phdleadhead.blogspot.com.tr/p/rules-iii-russo-ottoman-war-of-1877.html

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Thank you K. I am still astounded by my own ignorance of the whole conflict. Bless my Anglo-centric upbringing!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

KTravlos

17 December 2016, 03:48:42 PM #2 Last Edit: 17 December 2016, 03:51:12 PM by KTravlos
A good one book source is Hooton's book on the Balkan Wars. It is not perfect (he make some mistakes) but it is a good updated overview. People attack it on the sketch map but the sad reality is that because all sides expected to fight again on the same terrain, the official oeprational histories all use sketch maps. My maps are indeed the first attept at terrain maps of the battles.

https://www.amazon.com/Prelude-First-World-War-1912-1913/dp/1781551804

The best operational history is Ericksson's book on the Ottoman Army and its operations.

Leman

I am quite proud of the fact that I knew my own country's history before I bothered with anyone else's, erm...... apart from the Trojan War.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!