Creating a Packard Mk I Walker

Started by Terry37, 15 December 2016, 08:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

Pleasure. Terry!

I meant to suggest the rounded & aircraft style stuff but forgot :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Terry37

Just a brief update. Yesterday I finished making the exhaust, the top hatch and a few other attachments for the walker. No pictures to show right now, but am hoping to start assembly today and once it's assembled I'll share a few pictures before I start painting it.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Terry37

I finished assembling the Walker today after church, and also decided it needed a headlight (can you imagine seeing that big light coming at you from a 25 foot tall walker!!!). So here are a few pictures of the assembled model. I used the same white background as the previous pictures, but it was so dark and overcast today that I had to use internal light - thus the tannish background.

Lastly for now,  here is the source for the camo scheme I am planning to work from – the rail gun at the bottom of the picture.

More to follow.

Terry

"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

Looking good so far. Love the proposed colour scheme!

I'm somewhat reminded of the Great Martian War 1913 footage

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Steve J

Great work and looking forward to seeing it in all its camo'd glory 8)

Roy

that's a cracking looking conversion.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

d_Guy

Very impressed with your conversion work, Terry. The two hours of hand-cutting bespeaks a man dedicated to his art. Well done!

I did not follow,however, the "technical" discussions that followed, having exceeded my knowledge base.  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

toxicpixie

Looking very nice!

I do agree with d_guy though, and he's willing to do head swaps in 10mm :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Terry37

Thank you all Gentlemen for the kind words. I do enjoy the creative challenges of the hobby.

As for the "technological" aspects, I am sure that if you were a HotT gamer it would make more sense. But to net it out - I like to use a movie and/or a book(s) to create my armies from. So in doing that I am bound by what the source provides. After that I usually fall back on historical if possible. I am assuming this is what you are referring to.

Here's an example that may help. I wanted to do the good army of Glinda of Oz, so I based it upon both the book and the 1939 movie to create it. You can see how I went about it here. And just FYI, in the book Dorothy is only about 4 or 5 years old.

http://fanaticus.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=15751

Terry

d_Guy

Interesting (almost undertook Jack Vance's "The Dragonmasters" - and still might if I can get something for the dragons).
Grew up with the OZ books (with the John R Niell illustrations) and definiately see the attraction 😀

Terry37

d Guy,

I am not familiar with the story line but did a quick look and if you'll tell me what scale I might have an extra dragon or probably link you into one. What size do they need to be in addition to their scale?

I've only read "The Wizard of Oz", although I did try to read some of the others - just couldn't get into them like ht first one. I am thinking he wrote something like 15 books in he series.

Terry

d_Guy

Thanks,

If I did "The Dragon Masters" it would be in 10mm (almost all I work in at this point). The original story - as a Novella in Galaxy I think - had great line illustrations 0f the "dragons" - actually a degraded star-fairing race of raptor like creatures.

It helps if you are 10 years old when reading the OZ books - an entire series (15 or so seem right). These were my Father's when he was a kid and Niell's illustrations (1920's very stylish, very clever) are worth investigating if you have not seen them (examples adorn the covers of most volumes)

Tic Tok:

Terry37

d Guy,

If you are only needing one dragon, I may have a 15 MM one that might work for you - after all dragons were quite big! let me sort through my extras and see what I've got and I'll snap some picks for you.  if one would work I'm more than happy to send it on to you.

I am not familiar with the artist for oz that you reference. I went with the ones from Denslow, which you can see some of here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wizard+of+oz+art+pictures&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS708US708&espv=2&biw=1365&bih=868&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz7JGrw4HRAhWk6oMKHYXuAjgQsAQIMA#tbm=isch&q=wizard+of+oz+denslow+illustartions

I have been fortunate enough to pick up several of the original pages of the art work, which I suspect were cut from a book, but not sure. They are very nice though.

Let me know about the dragon,

Terry