Warband Historical - how far off?

Started by Nosher, 14 December 2016, 06:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandinista

The "ancients" period could cover over 4000 years, that would be a lot of lists to keep everyone happy. I think a few core examples and a section on how to convert DBA/FoG etc. lists might be more useful.

cheers
Ian

Fenton

Quote from: Sandinista on 21 January 2017, 11:59:13 PM
The "ancients" period could cover over 4000 years, that would be a lot of lists to keep everyone happy. I think a few core examples and a section on how to convert DBA/FoG etc. lists might be more useful.

cheers
Ian

Basic Impetus 2 has about 430 army lists
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

AndyT

Warmaster Ancients managed with only about 40 army lists.

Elliesdad

Triumph! has 646 army lists.
Where to start...? where to start...?

Geoff

fred.

I guess with ancients you can provide a list of basic troop types, that tend to be the make up of many different armies.

Then you can provide a sensible set of starting lists.

Between these two it should be fairly easy for people to then come up with variant lists.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

notmatthew

I have a bunch of 10mm historicals looking me in the face waiting for their bases.  Is there a playtest document or any more info about basing for historical warband?  I'd love to finish my republican Romans!
Matt

Chieftain

Quote from: notmatthew on 13 March 2017, 04:09:49 PM
I have a bunch of 10mm historicals looking me in the face waiting for their bases.  Is there a playtest document or any more info about basing for historical warband?  I'd love to finish my republican Romans!
Matt

Hi Matt, what basing would you prefer, 100x50mm (as for Warband Fantasy), or 80x40mm (to fit in with the dominant DBx basing conventions)?
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

FogAM bases in multiples of 40mm frontage by 20mm for infantry and 40x30 for cav (in even numbers)...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

As Warband is a base width set of rules, does it matter too much what the 'standard' size is.

I found that wth Warmaster based figures on 40x20mm bases they looked good on the sabot bases.

With the FoGAM basing due to the different depths you would want some kind of sabot. And if the sabot is the same width as the basing then you end up with sabots that are bigger. You may as well start with a slightly bigger size.

Also using 10cm for BW makes measuring easy!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

AndyT

After initially being a bit concerned about the Warband 100x50 basing convention I am now a big fan of it and love the opportunity to decorate the bases much more than the usual 40mm base would allow. The current range of Pendraken sabot bases work well for existing Warmaster armies and Leon is also happy to make custom ones.

d_Guy

Quote from: fsn on 21 January 2017, 05:50:01 PM
On the same basis, I vote "Amazons". 

I realize that you meant to say "Aztecs" and greatly appreciate the support.
Sleep with clean hands ...

fsn

No, definitely not. I'd rather have kick-ass warrior women in bronze armour than Mexicans in pyjamas and feathers.  :P
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: d_Guy on 13 March 2017, 08:51:35 PM
I realize that you meant to say "Aztecs" and greatly appreciate the support.

Thank goodness there are some who have an interest in history rather than Xena and the Lost City of Tarzan's Granny.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: FierceKitty on 14 March 2017, 09:10:06 AM
Thank goodness there are some who have an interest in history rather than Xena and the Lost City of Tarzan's Granny.

Thought that was the Aztecs, and Incas as well. Where is El Dorado ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

d_Guy

Quote from: ianrs54 on 14 March 2017, 09:55:49 AM
Where is El Dorado ?

At one time it was parked in my neighbor's driveway!  :D
Sleep with clean hands ...