Warband Historical - how far off?

Started by Nosher, 14 December 2016, 06:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

I recently sold on all of my medieval armies in a big cull of streamlining my current projects but can see myself doing ancients for Warband given the unit sizing and basing I have used for the original version.

How far off is the Historical Version?
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Chieftain

Difficult to say Nosher,

Its in development at the moment, and aside from testing the rules tweaks, there's a lot of design decision work to be done in terms of form, format, content, what to include, etc.

I'd like to say "some time in 2017".

If the playtesting results so far are accurate, i can say "its worth waiting for"!

:)
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

AndyT

Is it possible to say roughly what army lists might be available in the historical rulebook?

jambo1

When this comes out I can see it being my first venture into Ancient wargaming. :)

AndyT

I know Pendraken will use this as a means of selling their Ancient figure ranges, and rightly so, but I think the way to make this an even more widely used set of rules will be to try and attract old Warmaster Ancients players so the sooner it has a wide range of army lists available, the better.

Chieftain

Quote from: AndyT on 20 January 2017, 07:49:52 PM
Is it possible to say roughly what army lists might be available in the historical rulebook?

What would you like to see?

AndyT

Well "Ancients" suggests a very wide range of choices but for me personally I would like to see a variety of Roman army list and their associated enemies plus Macedonian and successor pike-based armies and all the "barbarian" foes they would have come across.

Chieftain

So if the first set of lists were "Rome 700BC-450AD and all Rome's enemies and allies", that would be a good start?

AndyT

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Na - got to have classical stuff.....

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

"Military History: The First 50% (3000BC to 500BC)" would do it for me. Then Pendraken could release lots of lovely Bronze Age and Early Iron Age chariot armies and I'd be like a pig in clover! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Bodvoc

'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

fsn

Not to drop a large bluebottle into that particular unguent, but shouldn't Pendraken be offering chariot armies before writing rules for them?

On the same basis, I vote "Amazons". 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

There's no way we'd be able to expand our Ancients ranges sufficiently before a historical version of Warband comes along, so it wouldn't be tied to our products as much as regular Warband is.  Better to include as many army lists as folks want and then we can work on adding to our ranges in the future.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

There are over 300 Army lists in DBA 3.0, many with sub-options :-$
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!