MASH 4077 Korean diorama

Started by Sunray, 12 December 2016, 07:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Quote from: Sunray on 14 December 2016, 05:51:14 PM
...With Techno (Phil Lewis ) giving me live advice
:-SS :-SS :-SS
Thanks Phil, both subject and sculptor are doing well- the super glue came off...
#:-S
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

And you can still count to ten?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Sunray on 14 December 2016, 02:45:16 PM
Wrong headdress for Yanks.  The beret did not feature with US troops until Special Forces (Green Beret) and I recall US tankers in NATO having a black beret in the 1970s.  

Its a nice diorama ! :-bd

Fair enough.

Although, in 10mm, with the berets clipped and painted scrubs, they might pass for surgeons out on a fag break  :-$
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

d_Guy

Quote from: Terry37 on 14 December 2016, 05:21:12 PM
I've not done any 10 MM figure yet so not sure how difficult it might be - but could you do a head swap  the British tank crew, or file the beret in hair having them hatless?

Terry

I have BR180 and FRE50 (below) in a tray (along with some of the latest ECW civilians) on my work table.

From these I going to attempt an ECW field hospital (which didn't actual exist as such).
The biggest issue is the lower part of the trousers - uh - so far.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Sunray

When I started wargaming back in the early 1970s, there was no dedicated magazine - but Military Modelling dedicated a few pages to those who "played" with small models as opposed to painting them and sticking to a base board.

We were the poor relation.    I have always admired the skills of model and diorama makers.  Some years ago I was in holiday in Basel (Switzerland ) and my host showed me the state of the art N gauge layout in his roofspace. All I could think of was fighting the Bulge over his beautiful model.

Now it seems that there is a section of the market who buy figures, paint them to very high detail, but never throw a dice.  Fair play to them.  They are an inspiration and probably win painting prizes.

I still have pleasure in building a unit of scenery, but at the back of my mind it is always going to fit somewhere on a table- not a glass covered cabinet or shelf.  Room for both to keep the hobby viable.

Wulf

Quote from: Sunray on 14 December 2016, 02:45:16 PM
Wrong headdress for Yanks. 
If we're talking Hawkeye & Trapper, maybe they were in a French mood that day...

petercooman

Quote from: Sunray on 15 December 2016, 08:03:39 AM
When I started wargaming back in the early 1970s, there was no dedicated magazine - but Military Modelling dedicated a few pages to those who "played" with small models as opposed to painting them and sticking to a base board.

We were the poor relation.    I have always admired the skills of model and diorama makers.  Some years ago I was in holiday in Basel (Switzerland ) and my host showed me the state of the art N gauge layout in his roofspace. All I could think of was fighting the Bulge over his beautiful model.

Now it seems that there is a section of the market who buy figures, paint them to very high detail, but never throw a dice.  Fair play to them.  They are an inspiration and probably win painting prizes.

I still have pleasure in building a unit of scenery, but at the back of my mind it is always going to fit somewhere on a table- not a glass covered cabinet or shelf.  Room for both to keep the hobby viable.

I started of that way when i was about 9. My brother liked playing with trains and i liked painting the houses. When he got a pack of model railroad workers, i started adding my micro machine soldiers to that. Soon after that i bought my first box of models, napoleons old guard by revell, and russian infantry by esci, in the waterloo museum shop.I think i was 12 when i had every box of revell wwII infantry in my collection (except for british infantry, they hadn't released that yet). at first i just painted and played with them like a kid does, but then i started making a game of it.

Then i passed a wargame shop n my town, bought some gw minis and i started wargaming. You can say whatever you want about gw, but at the time they were the easiest way into this hobby of ours.(talking around march '97 here) I lost my brother about 3 weeks after that. So in a way i can still remember when i started quite well.

Sunray

I was playing with Airfix H0&00 Desert Rats, DAK, US Marines, and Russies.  I had a little spring gun that fired cork pellets.

Then my older cousin arrived one day with dice, a ruler and a book by Charles Grant. He a box with Airfix Germans and Russians -  and Roco Minitanks T-34s and Panzer IVs. A green railway mat and "Bluebox farm" (made in Hong Kong).

We played "Action at Twin Farms" - I was beaten - but I was hooked.  That day I stopped playing with soldiers and became a war gamer.

When my cousin gave up gaming I inherited the Blue Box farm (cottage and barn) it is still in my scenery box.

Techno

Tricky enough !  I just did one this afternoon.  With Techno (Phil Lewis ) giving me live advice .(Thanks Phil, both subject and sculptor are doing well- the super glue came off) The trick is get the bluetack off before it bonds with the glue!

Glad it worked, Matey ! :)

Have to say, I much prefer 'Black-Tac' to Blue tak when I'm doing a temporary fix, while waiting for putty to set on a model.

Cheers - Phil

petercooman

Quote from: Sunray on 15 December 2016, 10:44:28 AM
I was playing with Airfix H0&00 Desert Rats, DAK, US Marines, and Russies.  I had a little spring gun that fired cork pellets.

Then my older cousin arrived one day with dice, a ruler and a book by Charles Grant. He a box with Airfix Germans and Russians -  and Roco Minitanks T-34s and Panzer IVs. A green railway mat and "Bluebox farm" (made in Hong Kong).

We played "Action at Twin Farms" - I was beaten - but I was hooked.  That day I stopped playing with soldiers and became a war gamer.

When my cousin gave up gaming I inherited the Blue Box farm (cottage and barn) it is still in my scenery box.

I still have my revell models in a box right here. Been thinking about painting them up for bolt action. Specifically the germans and americans in winter gear...