American Civil War. 10mm. Pendraken Miniatures. Stating The Bleeding Obvious!

Started by Roy, 11 December 2016, 03:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

...Right, here's some Ancient Greeks  ;D

Do I win anything for my title? No. Humph!

The Old Guard Wargames Group (one of the many variations of the name we use. I've used a few myself!) has decided to venture into 10mil gaming next year. The American Civil War specifically. But my money is on it being forgotten about after the very first game and most group members drifting away...  X_X

So, I've decided to (basically) go it alone. The group might (TBC) be using Regimental Fire & Fury, but I wont - mainly as the cost is far too much for my liking! I'm going to be using They Couldn't Hit An Elephant rules by the TooFatLardies - because it cost me far less to buy than the other rules set. Tightwad, moi? I'd rather spend the saved £25 on Pendraken toy soldiers ... And so would Pendraken!  =O

First bit of WIP.

My take on these guys: -  21st Virginia Volunteer Infantry Regiment; Company B being known as the Maryland Guard and recruited among Southern sympathisers in the border state (I painted them in their pre-War 53rd Maryland Regiment trousers and Kepi caps). If I've got my factual information wrong, it isn't too much of a concern to me. As long as they perform well in table top battles and don't run away, I'm happy  :)

Bases are 25mm x 20mm. 8 figs to a base. I felt like pushing the boat out and painting a 'large' regiment. Varnishing and flags still to do, then basing (on some new bases). I would have liked to have entered the finished unit in the 2017 Painting Competition, but we all know what sunk that plan!  :'(

I've got a scenario that I want to collect for, to help learn the rules. Its the St. Ulrich one from the Honours of War 7YW rules book. The CSA being the Red Force.

Cheers for looking.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

petercooman

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Bodvoc

Nice figures Roy and I doubt the ACW project will die with 6 of us spending best part f £300 on Pendraken figures, the main problem will be rules. I would prefer to use Black Powder as I already have them and the ACW supplement.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Westmarcher

Terrific paint job, Roy. Nicely photographed too. Good choice of figures also. After viewing Slimreidy's recent AAR, I revisited the Pendraken website to look at the ACW range again. Its a nice range and one I would have probably gone for if it had come out sooner. Look forward to seeing some action of the group's ACW games in future!

:-bd

p.s. As for rules, Black Powder, FoB2 and TCHAE would all get my vote plus it might be worthwhile for everyone to hold back on choice of rules to see how the new Pickett's Charge rules pan out.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

Certainly the above basing will work with F&F, FOB2, BP and the hefalump rules so I don't get that there is an issue. TBH I have found FOB2 and BP to be a lot more fun and a lot less complex than RF&F.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Roy

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

This chap has given Pickett's Charge a run through on his blog and he likes them - he tries out a lot of rules, so he is in a good position to compare systems.

LINK http://sgtsteiner.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/picketts-charge-multi-player-bash.html

sunjester

Looking very good!

TCHAE are a great set of rules and give a good game, but need perseverance. Like many of the older Lardies rulesets, they can be confusing at first but once you get the hang of it they are fun.

We have also found Black Powder good for the ACW. The fluid movement seems OK for this period in a way that seems odd for things like Napoleonics.