The battle of Marsaglia 1693

Started by Sandinista, 10 December 2016, 08:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandinista

10 December 2016, 08:16:05 PM Last Edit: 10 December 2016, 08:28:11 PM by Sandinista
I am about to embark upon a game based upon the battle of Marsaglia. This was a battle in the Nine Years' War, fought in Italy on 4 October 1693, between the French army of Marshal Nicolas Catinat and the army of the Grand Alliance under Duke Victor Amadeus II of Savoy.

I have put the set up on my blog (1st update for months)

http://kerikerigamer.blogspot.co.nz/

Cheers
Ian

Hwiccee

A nice looking set up and indeed it is a nice battle. We also played it recently and it was an enjoyable fight.

We play with a unit being a brigade, about 4 battalions, but it looks to me like you might have got the scale wrong somehow. The two sides were in 2 long lines, but with a small French reserve, this was typical of the period. I think that you need a table 2 or 3 times the length you have it to do that.

Sandinista

I read the French 1st line was 40 squadrons and 25 battalions, 2nd line 31 squadrons and 15 battalions with a reserve of 8 squadrons and 2 battalions. The enemy 1st line 35 squadrons and 19 battalions, 2nd line 24 squadrons and 18 battalions. Perhaps an 8 eoot table may be better, if it plays well I will redo it at the club.

cheers
Ian

Techno

Steve J

Hwiccee

Quote from: Sandinista on 11 December 2016, 04:25:51 AM
I read the French 1st line was 40 squadrons and 25 battalions, 2nd line 31 squadrons and 15 battalions with a reserve of 8 squadrons and 2 battalions. The enemy 1st line 35 squadrons and 19 battalions, 2nd line 24 squadrons and 18 battalions. Perhaps an 8 eoot table may be better, if it plays well I will redo it at the club.

cheers
Ian

Yes that would fix it, it depends how big the table is in the shots. The numbers of battalions/squadrons looks more or less right, without checking in detail, but they would be in 2 or 3 lines. In any case a nice set up and hopefully will be a good game. Ours certainly was and ended in a French victory.

toxicpixie

That looks cracking!

Hope it plays as well as it looks :)

Damnit,  I want a dedicated games room...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

Looks very good. I am being drawn to this period as the figures are just so good. Incidentally, judging by your photo, I'm assuming the flight out was Ryan Air, standing room only, and you hit turbulence.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

KTravlos

Sandinista

Finally updated my blog after fighting the battle many months ago http://kerikerigamer.blogspot.co.nz

Cheers
Ian

sunjester

Looks like a really good game.  =D> =D>

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Glorfindel

A fantastic looking game.   I really like the village (more detals please !)
and the use of casualty figures.

This is a spectacular collection and I would love to see some close ups
if possible.

Phil

Steve J

Westmarcher

Terrific! :-bd

[Also, just happened to be looking at the rivers on the Timecast website immediately before this so good to see how these look on the table.   :) ]   
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.