Italian Artillery Operation Compass

Started by Enemy In Sight, 06 December 2016, 07:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enemy In Sight

I'm putting together an Italian force for Operation Compass (IABSM) and I need some suggestions for what Pendraken codes to use for the artillery units. This is what I've got so far but I'm struggling to find pictures of all the artillery in the WW1/Inter War/WW2 ranges to fill in the blanks.

Cannone da 75/27 modello 06 - IP7 75mm FG with crew
Cannone da 77/28 modello 05 - SCW168 75mm Schneider 75/28
Obice da 100/17 modello 16  - ?
Cannone da 105/28           - ?

I'm using the Flames of War article as a guide:

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=112&art_id=1019&kb_cat_id=33

Thanks

fred.

Welcome!

105/28 - try FRE57 from the French WWII range

100/17 - possibly the AH4 106mm howitzer. (the British 4.7" howitzer might pass as the model 14)

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Welcome Jellicoe :-h

Are you tired of being asked if you do WWI Naval yet :-\

Both of Fred's recommendations make sense to me. The Italians are a very under rated force

If you ask Leon nicely he will provide the guns with Italian crews :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Enemy In Sight

fred - thanks for the info - I will have a look at those suggestions.

paulr - they may be under rated but I think I'm going to need all that artillery to make up for the those C33 tankettes   :)

I thought I'd take a break from painting grey ships and start painting sand coloured tanks  ;)

Techno

fsn

Interesting stuff, and welcome to the forum.

One of my favourite scenarios is the very small Franco-Italian spat in 1940, when Mussolini decided to invade France. I confess, I beef it up somewhat, but it allows me to pit S35s against M11/39s. Guess who does the better?

I like the Italians in WWII. I do wonder how they would have fared if the Germans had given them some PzIVs or Panthers.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Hi - look at Austrian WWI stuff as well, much of the Italian artillery park was war booty from 1918.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Westmarcher

Hi, Jellicoe.

Quote from: fsn on 07 December 2016, 07:56:47 AM
I like the Italians in WWII. I do wonder how they would have fared if the Germans had given them some PzIVs or Panthers.

As you probably know, it almost happened but the Italian surrender intervened and the PzIV equipped Blackshirt Division did not become operational.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/italian-forces/Seewm+t__tulo.html

Could be an interesting 'what if' game.

[Air warfare buffs will know that the Italian airforce did get Messerschmitt 109s.]

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Enemy In Sight

Quote from: Techno on 07 December 2016, 06:20:45 AM
Welcome to the forum, J.

Cheers - Phil

Thanks Techno - I've been a long time lurker on the forum so it's nice to actually post something!

Quote from: fsn on 07 December 2016, 07:56:47 AM
Interesting stuff, and welcome to the forum.

One of my favourite scenarios is the very small Franco-Italian spat in 1940, when Mussolini decided to invade France. I confess, I beef it up somewhat, but it allows me to pit S35s against M11/39s. Guess who does the better?

The Franco-Italian spat sounds interesting since I have a collection of unpainted French early war hidden in a box somewhere - although they are not Pendraken   :(

I quite like the thought of a 'what if' scenario with German equipment - I can imagine the look on my opponents face when instead of facing my little C33s he sees PzIVs rolling cross the table!

Quote from: ianrs54 on 07 December 2016, 08:44:46 AM
Hi - look at Austrian WWI stuff as well, much of the Italian artillery park was war booty from 1918.

IanS

Thanks for the suggestion - all I need now is some artillery tractors

Quote from: Westmarcher on 07 December 2016, 10:03:00 AM
Hi, Jellicoe.

As you probably know, it almost happened but the Italian surrender intervened and the PzIV equipped Blackshirt Division did not become operational.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/italian-forces/Seewm+t__tulo.html

Could be an interesting 'what if' game.

[Air warfare buffs will know that the Italian airforce did get Messerschmitt 109s.]

Westmarcher - it would certainly make for an unusual unit on the table.

Quote from: mad lemmey on 07 December 2016, 02:16:14 PM

Don't forget the Stukas!

Any excuse to buy planes is good by me - I've got none in 10mm so I think it is a gap I need to fill  :)

Thanks everyone.

Ian

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Quote from: Jellicoe on 07 December 2016, 07:24:23 PM
Thanks Techno - I've been a long time lurker on the forum so it's nice to actually post something!
Thanks everyone.
Ian

If you've been lurking...At least you know what you've let yourself in for.  ;)

Cheers - Phil