d_guy,S

Started by d_Guy, 06 December 2016, 03:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Very nice. Must get on with my Woodland Indians
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sunjester

toxicpixie

I like those Spanish horse just peeking in the back, good guidon :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

Looking really good.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Thanks folks!
Terry, the LoA figures are stunning sculpts!

@Ace - the musketeers are all three poses from FI-13 and Leon put in several extra figures with war clubs (which I'm using as officers)
Leon had also suggested the Ancient Indians to me so the bows and spears are from AI-11. I added shields (fairly uncommon in the East) to the spearmen to add color variety (and balance the figure a bit). I think the bows very well match contemporary illustrations from the 17th c. These guys have to cover from Peqouts to Powhattans and back up to Narragansetts, across an entire century.

@Pixie - Thanks, the best information on the Spanish Horse at Tangier is that they are four troops of the Duke of Osuna's regiment. Having no other information, the cornet is taken from the Duke's arms.
Sleep with clean hands ...

toxicpixie

Sounds very reasonable :D

Also, good job on the First Nations guys.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

BTW Andy - cheers for the Epic History TV pointer.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ace of Spades

Quote from: d_Guy on 22 September 2017, 02:45:56 PM
@Ace - the musketeers are all three poses from FI-13 and Leon put in several extra figures with war clubs (which I'm using as officers)
Leon had also suggested the Ancient Indians to me so the bows and spears are from AI-11. I added shields (fairly uncommon in the East) to the spearmen to add color variety (and balance the figure a bit). I think the bows very well match contemporary illustrations from the 17th c. These guys have to cover from Peqouts to Powhattans and back up to Narragansetts, across an entire century.

Thanks for the info d-Guy, I already thought it would be those. I'm working on a bunch of Indians for 10mm Muskets & Tomahawks and some armed with bows might be interesting... I will certainly consider these! The Woodland Indians with warclubs are 'officers' in my organisation as well! ;)

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 23 September 2017, 09:56:37 PM
The Woodland Indians with warclubs are 'officers' in my organisation as well! ;)

And mine ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

Quote from: Leman on 23 September 2017, 11:30:34 AM
BTW Andy - cheers for the Epic History TV pointer.

You are more than welcome

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

d_Guy

Have continued to work in small bits almost everyday and have completed my fifteen "Mollinary Structures" (unit casualty markers):

I had named the prototype a "Mollinary Structure" having blatantly copied the idea from a certain member of this forum.
The name stuck in my head. The flags are "scatter" and I can put an appropriate one on for story-telling purposes.  I'll likely use some other types of scatter later

My first group of generic woodland Indians are finished and based:

They will likely make their first appearance as Powhattans in the 1630's.

The Spanish Horse at Tangier circa 1680 is also complete:

Beginning work of a dozen or so LoA command groups  for 1670 - 1690 English and colonial militia.
Also about to base-coat a dozen Elizabethan Targeteers and officers for Virgina colonial milita in the 1620's - 30's.

fred.

Oooh!!

I do like those. All of them.

One little thought, perhaps distress the flags a little more on the casualty markers (aka Mollinary Structures), they look a little pristine for the carnage that is around them. A few holes, a bit of black to represent smoke, nothing too fancy, and something that can hopefully be done in situ.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

d_Guy

Thanks fred!

That's a really good idea with the flags. I have dozens of them In a jar (I used to do several for each regiment then decided against it).

Techno

I'm with Fred, on those.

Really nice stuff, Bill.

Cheers - Phil