d_guy,S

Started by d_Guy, 06 December 2016, 03:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Just got the over 120 days warning on my diary! Golly, has it been that long? Where does the time go?
Lots of rebasing - the never ending battle of the indecisive and followers of trends. Lots of rules investigations and play-throughs

Bought some Pendraken already painted Jacobite Pikemen during Hind's summer sale and converted some to make a horde of clan levies.
I painted the bowmen and touched up the rest (varying bonnet shades mainly). The major change was removing the pikes (or shortening in some cases) and taking polearms from various Pendraken Elizabethians and Medievals and adding them in:

I stalled two months ago on three groups of Berbers (proxied from Pendraken Mahdists) for Tangier. They are 95% done.
MUST. GET. THEM. FINISHED.

The adhesives in the background are represent my three stage gluing approach to weapon, head and body part swaps.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nice job on those Bill
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

toxicpixie

They do the job nicely, mate! On a similar note if I ever get round to finishing my Ottomans (three years and counting...), and run out, I might have a look at the Mahdists for extras - they're supposed to be opponents for LoA/Turkenkrieg era European forces but are little c16th if you look too closely ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

Very nice indeed. Busy getting some 10mm Prussian guns finished so I can then do my first 28mm early Tudors. then it's back to the FPW.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Do they do heather as basing material?

The great Billy Connolly once pointed out the impossibility of marching through heather. He's right too. Last time I tried it, I nearly broke my ankle in a rabbit hole.

I think you're awfully brave doing head swaps in 10mm. If I did it, I'd end up with a lot of absurdly truncated figures.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

13 September 2017, 08:28:02 PM #81 Last Edit: 13 September 2017, 09:12:46 PM by d_Guy
Thanks folk!

@ Pixie - one thing that's nagging at me about using the madhist as musketeers is they are firing either Martini-Henry's or Lee Metford's (can't tell but look modern) with slings. I've painted them but using them is a stretch even for me. OK, I'll use them but waiting for the right stuff to be put in production so I can replace them.

@fsn - I use Siflor blossom tufts for the heather http://www.fiferhobby.com/silflor-blossom-tufts/. I went a little happy with it.

It is not bravery, it is the willingness to go out in public with small bits of little men glued to your fingers.

SV52

Quote from: fsn on 13 September 2017, 06:50:03 PM
Do they do heather as basing material?

The great Billy Connolly once pointed out the impossibility of marching through heather. He's right too. Last time I tried it, I nearly broke my ankle in a rabbit hole.

I think you're awfully brave doing head swaps in 10mm. If I did it, I'd end up with a lot of absurdly truncated figures.

That was a haggis hole.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

toxicpixie

I know the feeling with flock and static grass!

Mahdists - bum, on the rifles. Wonder if there's anything in the new Indian Mutiny range to pilfer :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take  care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: SV52 on 13 September 2017, 09:06:44 PM
That was a haggis hole.

Only the highland variety. Lowland ones nest in trees.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

I'm given to understand that the haggis also often infest the sheep both sides of the Highland Line (and likely in Wales as well).

Techno

The rare ones, are those with different length legs..... so that they can stand perfectly upright on the slope of hill. :D

Cheers - Phil

Ace of Spades

Some cool projects you got going there; looking forward to seeing more of it!

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

They're good d-Guy, but miss a bit to be authentic Scots.

1) Everyone appears to be sober
2) No-one is flashing his backside
3) All those blue bonnets suggest Rangers fans. You need some hoops.*

However, what I was going to say is that I'm quite enthused by that basing. (Not for figures obviously**, because even Highlanders aren't daft enough to clart heather aboot aa da time), but for scenic items, and possibly as rough ground markers. I plan to leave work early to visit my local model shop. There I shall purchase a redheaded catwalk model and ask her if she knows where to buy tiny heather.***

That's what I love about this forum. The cross fertilisation of ideas.****  :D

* See association football, Scottish Premiership
** FSN's pet hates #3 - terraformed basing
*** That's tiny heather, not Tiny Heather.
**** and the Top Totty thread*****
***** and because I'm banned from every sensible forum
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!