A Rick Barlow type

Started by Sunray, 04 December 2016, 01:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Fsn, your mastery of image databases is nonpareil.  ;D

I have been looking at the militia and crossover stuff at Minibits so some pulp figures could be in the mix as well - I'll climb in.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Sunray

we  few, we happy few
we band of Pendraken brothers
for he today who votes "Barlow" with me
shall be my brother, be he ne'er so vile
Shall gentle his condition.

Thank you brethren - the creation of CIA types opens up a new area of 10mm gaming.  The intelligence and role play dimension.  The French manufacturer Rallyman does a nice line of 1/144 scale 1960s/70s cars that will compliment these black ops heroes.   I look forward to reading what roles will be offered to Rick Barlow. 

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Bucket of cold water, my spidy sense suggests strongly this one where the answer will "we'd like to, but it's just not economic".

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

d_Guy

I tend to agree. I, from time to time, buy stuff for the good of the cause, things I have some interest in but given my age may never get to.
Is there any appetite for a mini-kickstarter plan within the confines of Pendraken for those interesting ranges with possible low commercial viability? There are some that I would support, including this one. Obviously I  would be all over an Aztec project! 😀

Techno

This Barlow figure.....Is everyone going to want me to make Robbie Williams and the other two or three from that musical combo, whose names I can never remember ?

Cheers - Puzzled of Wales.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Two bishops in a bar, one looks at the other and says "I've never met an actress!"
The other looks shocked, and says "Me neither!"
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Quote from: d_Guy on 09 December 2016, 02:47:14 PM
Is there any appetite for a mini-kickstarter plan within the confines of Pendraken for those interesting ranges with possible low commercial viability?
I think I suggested this for personality figures - cowboys, gangsters, superheroes, etc, etc.

Quote from: d_Guy on 09 December 2016, 02:47:14 PM
Obviously I  would be all over an Aztec project! 😀
You see, just when I start to think there's hope for you d_Guy, you have to go and post something ... like that.

I warn you, my friend, Xmas is coming, and that means the FSN Xmas thingy. You have been warned!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 09 December 2016, 05:28:39 PM
I warn you, my friend, Xmas is coming, and that means the FSN Xmas thingy. You have been warned!

Do I get to play air guitar, keyboards or drums, again ?

I've decided on my song for this year.

Better run downstairs before I burn another saucepan.  X_X X_X X_X X_X

Cheers - Phil

Matt J

The FSN Xmas thingy  :o

Mentally prepare before reading because he doesn't before writing
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

d_Guy

Quote from: Matt J on 09 December 2016, 07:13:01 PM

Mentally prepare before reading because he doesn't before writing

I'm not sure one can prepare for it at any level. I would call it extra-dimensional - but that would imply an order that is not present. its more like seeing music and tasting color - a pale metaphor I know.

d_Guy

I think I suggested this for personality figures - cowboys, gangsters, superheroes, etc, etc.

So you would be voting "yes" then?  :)

You see, just when I start to think there's hope for you d_Guy ...

There is no hope. I was made aware of  that when I saw the sign over the door when I first entered the forum. You'll recall it
I'm sure - the one that begins, "fasciate ogne speranza..."

Sunray

Quote from: ianrs54 on 09 December 2016, 02:31:09 PM
Bucket of cold water, my spidy sense suggests strongly this one where the answer will "we'd like to, but it's just not economic".

IanS

Five years ago I would have agreed with you. But the bus has moved on.  First, the cost is making 10mm more appealing, secondly the level of detail now possible makes character types possible, and thirdly, a set of rules that gives the figure a meaningful role in a wargame.  Espionage makes a nice preamble to a game.  Dice deciding if the spies are undetected and the quality of their intel.    

This Christmas I am running the Firefox game for the family.  With WW2 Russians, a Mig 31 and French resistance figures for the Jewish underground.   Just finished the hanger.   If I had a Rick Barlow he would be in the thick of it.

GrumpyOldMan

Ok,

you can put me down for a spook but only if it's non-periodist :)

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Sunray

09 December 2016, 10:36:50 PM #28 Last Edit: 09 December 2016, 10:39:14 PM by Sunray
Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 09 December 2016, 10:12:33 PM
Ok,

you can put me down for a spook but only if it's non-periodist :)

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

That's a most profound observation Vic.  The strength of the Rick Barlow sculpt is that he is "non period" . Burberry supplied the first trench coat to the British Army as an officer's raincoat in ...1901.   With slight variations it has been worn well into 21st century.  The character even has kudos as si fi pulp hero.  I purchased a classic coat in light grey with trenching in Harrods in 1980.  I still wear it as a raincoat. Timeless.

Selling a figure and making it pay is all about marketing.  Rick Barlow in 1/150 is the ultimate ubique  figure.

From WW1, Chinese war lords via SCW to WW2, Korea, Cold War, Middle East, Vietnam,  all those little bushwars....and then  there is Si Fi.     Rick Barlow is a "player".

FierceKitty

10 December 2016, 12:30:36 AM #29 Last Edit: 10 December 2016, 12:33:03 AM by FierceKitty
Quote from: d_Guy on 09 December 2016, 08:09:06 PM
So you would be voting "yes" then?  :)

There is no hope. I was made aware of  that when I saw the sign over the door when I first entered the forum. You'll recall it
I'm sure - the one that begins, "fasciate ogne speranza..."

"Lasciate ogni", pazzo! Porca miseria, as if trying to save English from the ravages of the internet weren't bad enough....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.