ECW tactical question

Started by FierceKitty, 08 October 2010, 06:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

How do you deal with Highlanders on a rough hill if you're using a standard pike, shot, pistoleers ECW army? Yestere'en I was pinned down (fatally, as it turned out) by a small group of warband who would have annihilated anything that was sent in to chase them away.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Nosher

A tactic I have tried successfully is pinning them in place with an expendable unit just out of musketry range backed up by a cavalry unit. The rest of the army manouvres around/avoids them picking off other units.

If they want to play any part whatsoever in the battle they have to come out of or off their cover to engage the unit to their front.

It does come down to who blinks first though which is sadly not something I am good at!
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

sixsideddice

Sub units of muskets to the front.... especially the use of a forlorn hope.

Cavalry to the far flanks and advanced of the main line (usually out of sight, where possible).

Six :-)

FierceKitty

Mmm, I suppose I should have swept them with some shot. I'm really better with real renaissance; a few elements of halberdiers would have been just the thing.
   Thanks for suggestions.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Dave Fielder

Close quarter battle against Highlanders with any period of wargaming usually ends up in tears for the opposing side. The only way to deal with them is to shoot them before they get close or cheat and attack from the side or rear.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis