Greetings from The Great White North

Started by Tristram, 29 November 2016, 11:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cameronian

Reminds me of the time my friend Angus Konstam (Jutland 1916) lent his entire Napoleonic Russian 28mm army to Dougie Trail, who - as you do - took them to a nightclub, got pissed and lost them, all of them, never seen again.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Leman

I'm with FSN on not having a clue what you're on about.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

More foreigners - polite ones at that

Welcome

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Tristram

Thank you for the warm greetings everyone :)

I am still absorbing large portions of the forum, so will probably have little to contribute until I start painting my own project, though I'm guessing most here come from a background in historical gaming, something I've only started to get into on my own, as my local group of gamers are very much of the fantasy persuasion. I do have reams of sometime creating some Napoleonic epics, with Prussian Winged Hussars and French Curriassiers set against European farmlands, but may have to expand my search for gaming opponents to do so.

May I ask which games tend to be most played among the forumites here? Does DBMM still hold sway as the go-to for historical battles?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Definitely not!
The rules used have fragmented into many facets and factions.
Take your pick:
Aurelian is rated well
MEG is competition based
Fog Ancients is like and disliked in equal measure
Warhammer Historical has died a death
Warmaster is enjoyed by many, but suffers from a lack of corporate support
Hail Caesar is fun, as it emphasises scenario games, not comps.
DBMM has a very hard core of followers, it has a new edition out, but has fallen out of favour somewhat.
Impetus has many fans.
Take your pick basically!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

"....my local group of gamers are very much of the fantasy persuasion."  The black basques and stockings are the defining giveaway.

fsn

Quote from: Tristram on 30 November 2016, 01:33:41 PM
Thank you for the warm greetings everyone :)

I am still absorbing large portions of the forum, so will probably have little to contribute until I start painting my own project, though I'm guessing most here come from a background in historical gaming, something I've only started to get into on my own, as my local group of gamers are very much of the fantasy persuasion. I do have reams of sometime creating some Napoleonic epics, with Prussian Winged Hussars and French Curriassiers set against European farmlands, but may have to expand my search for gaming opponents to do so.

May I ask which games tend to be most played among the forumites here? Does DBMM still hold sway as the go-to for historical battles?
Um ... Prussian Hussars during the Napoleonic era didn't wear wings. That's a Polish thing bit before. I say this, not to do you down, but to show that I do know something about a period that is pre the combustion engine.  :D

However, I would encourage you in your desire to get into historical gaming. There are so many to choose from.

May I interest you in a Centurion tank?

Oh, as for rules, I play my own.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: Tristram on 30 November 2016, 01:33:41 PM
my local group of gamers are very much of the fantasy persuasion.

So are lots of the Forum members - just take a look at the "Top Totty" Thread.

Rules - "That's a can of worms"

Seven Years War

Honours of war is good

ACW  -
Black poweder
Fire and Fury.  Even with Fire and Fury there are the Regimental level ones and the Brigade level ones. Some love one and hate the other some like both

WW2.
Chain of command ( often referred to as  as CoC) works well for small scenariao and Big Chain of Command ( often referred to as  as Big CoC) works well for lager battles with about a company a side

Blitzkrieg commander works well for big battles

And then there are all the Rampant style rules that are quite fun to play

And I could go on. I would suggest before buying a set of rules try to play them a couple of times with someone who knows how they work, or at least ask the Forum what they think. most will give an objective view.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Westmarcher

Quote from: Orcs on 30 November 2016, 08:27:14 PM

And then there are all the Rampant style rules that are quite fun to play

.... particularly, Loin Rampant (apparently) .....

p.s. Hi!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Orcs

Quote from: Westmarcher on 30 November 2016, 08:38:48 PM
.... particularly, Loin Rampant (apparently) .....

p.s. Hi!

My rampant loins cost me a fortune  :d
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

;D
Quote from: Leman on 30 November 2016, 06:59:55 PM
"....my local group of gamers are very much of the fantasy persuasion."  The black basques and stockings are the defining giveaway.
;D
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

Second the encouragement to try historical games. The variety far outstrips the works of fancy, and you get to sneer at the incredibly childish and outdated views of everyone else, especially if you frequent TMP. :)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Tristram

Quote from: fsn on 30 November 2016, 08:16:33 PM
Um ... Prussian Hussars during the Napoleonic era didn't wear wings. That's a Polish thing bit before. I say this, not to do you down, but to show that I do know something about a period that is pre the combustion engine.  :D

Heh, just goes to show my knowledge of Napoleonic details at the moment is largely based upon the boxes of fancy bottles of liquor more than anything

Luddite

01 December 2016, 02:21:50 PM #29 Last Edit: 01 December 2016, 03:02:50 PM by Luddite
Welcome Tristram!

I believe the rules you're after are Pendraken's very own Warband.

As Dan Mersey said, "if you're after a ruleset to replace Warmaster, this is it".

:)

QuoteDoes DBMM still hold sway as the go-to for historical battles?

In the UK DBMM is very much a niche game.  The national tournament circuit is still dominated by Field of Glory, however, i understand the tourney players and BHGS are starting to cast about for a replacement (FoG replaced DBM a few years back  :().

L'Art de la Guerre was touted and has taken off in a big way in Europe (so i understand) but didn't really settle here (it reminded me of a mashup between DBM and FoG).  Mortem et Gloriam has been fanfared as "the next big thing", but after splashing out £50 or so I think a lot of potential players have been...er...well...lets say we're awaiting the "January revisions".

So I think FoG will soldier on until a new ruleset emerges as a replacement.

Given the fragmented nature of UK historical gaming, its difficult to point to a single ruleset as a "go to" option.  Lots get played.  

WWII is probably dominated by Flames of War (company action) and Bolt Action (platoon action).   Personally I'm playing an old set called Rapid Fire.  Its worth a go.

Black Powder/Hail Caesar are perennial favourites for club gaming as they are accessible and easy rules.  They are based on the same engine but play very differently.  BP in particulry is more flexible and will cover many "horse foot and guns" periods.  Personally i reckon HC are a better set of rules "mechanically".

For ACW - Fire and Fury.  Accept no substitutes.  In my view a contender for "best ruleset in any genre".

Outside of the historical gaming, Mantic are puching hard with Kings of War into the open ground left by Games Workshop (in their recent attempts to destroy themselves).  However GW changed their upper management, changed direction and are very much resurgent at the moment.  Age of Sigmar is seeing a lot of play and the 40k crowd are hanging out for the next edition (due next spring so the rumours say) - note, i heard from many people that at their club the 40k players basically wholesale switched to Bolt Action a while back.  I'd also expect to see some serious GW releases in 2017 - if Necromunda and Mordheim don't make a reappearance i'll be surprised.  I'm really hoping they reopen Warhammer Historical - they produced some great rules, the best of which was Legends of the Old West.  Pick those up second hand if you can.  Excellent game.

I've seen a fair bit of Malifaux being played.  Second ed. is an improvement but its still a steep learning curve for beginners.

You can't discount the broader appeal of FFG's X-Wing game (which i've seen playing a LOT in crossover groups (wargame/boardgame groups)).

If you're up for something quirky and a TON of fun, check out something called "A Very British Civil War".  Its a concept, not a ruleset and i'm sure you could come up with a Canadian version (in understand there have been some American versions).  Pendraken do some "inter war period" figures that will work for it, and in 2017 Pendraken's Blitzkrieg Commander 3rd Edition release may well be the rules to use for something "grand scale AV[Canadian]CW"!!
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN