Old School in 10mm

Started by lentulus, 08 October 2010, 04:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lentulus

Had some interesting gaming today - cavalry heavy actions with my Tricorne lads.

What was interesting was that, after a couple of very frustrating games of Black Powder (two players versus the dice), we tried a go with Charge -- http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30546/charge-or-how-to-play-war-games

Now I was first introduced to that game in 1973, and played it on average three times a month for most of the next three years.  I came back to it this decade after almost 20 years and found it completely natural.  It is one of the few sets of rules where managed to get past having to look things up to play a game.

I don't know I was fighting it.  I am not discarding it (I have some gaming friend who are still sold on it) but I am probably (some thinking about it is still required) going to switch my main emphasis to it.

Anyway, what I want to report here is that this profoundly old school set of rules, designed for 25mm or larger figures mostly individually based worked just fine for 10mm stand mounted troops.  I know I will need to (or will want to) do a little fiddling but the basic backbone is sound.

Photos later.

GordonY

I'll let the Author know Lentulus, Charles Grant is a member of our club, and he does appreciate kind words on his old rulesets. Funnily enough Charles was telling us a wee story at the last club meet. His son was in search of a new WW2 ruleset, but he had to go down to London, so he took an old copy of his Granddad's rules to read on the train. It gets very confusing as theyre all called Charles Grant btw. When he got back he told his dad, that he didnt need a new ruleset, he'd just use his granddad's.

Gordon

Nosher

I know what you mean about old school rule sets. Some of the new kids on the block just dont cut the mustard for me (Black Powder being a point), but I guess thats what happens when one gets to a certain age ;D
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

NTM

Charge is not a rule set I had experience with but I do have a lot of Grant/Featherstone/Wise stuff. The one's I keep going back and looking at are Napoleonic Wargaming and Battle Practical Wargaming. I'm thinking of using battle with my stuff based for BKC. Even though it was written for individually based minis it will work treating a base as 1 figure etc. Nostalgia has a lot to do with it I think but it's also going to be a great way to get my 5yo playing.

GordonY

Ahhh Nostalgia, it's not what it used to be.  :P

YORSTONS

I have based my 7YW armies on these rules, i have big 54 figure battalions of infantry and 30 figure regiments of cavalry. My infantry are 6 figures to a base which works quiet well, they look very impressive in there massed ranks with grenadiers at each end of the line.

Only thing is it takes me ages to paint a battalion up, i have even started using the AWI Germans because they are so goooood but they are slightly bigger than the actual 7YW range.

MAYBE THE 7YW RANGE COULD BE REMODELED TO MATCH.

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Leon on 08 October 2010, 01:19:39 PM
:o  ~X(  :'(

Come on, you wuss.  8)

I was just thinking: maybe you guys could redo the whole Pendraken range in 12mm, or 13,5mm. How bout that eh?  :D

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

lentulus

Quote from: GordonY on 08 October 2010, 07:30:51 AM
Charles Grant is a member of our club, and he does appreciate kind words on his old rulesets.

Actually, Charge! is Young and Lawford - but the Scenario was Defense in Depth from "Scenarios for Wargames"  in fact, at least 80% of the games I play come from a Grant scenario book, and I have not found a period or rules yet that most of them could not be used for. 

Charge! also got me my wargames nickname; Lentulus is mentioned as a somewhat hapless opponent in one of the examples of play.  It is good we played the rules a lot, because I was not a fast learner.

lentulus

Here's a link to some pictures of the battles.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff44/lentulus/Not-SYW%20in%2010mm/Defense%20in%20Depth%20--%20Black%20Powder/

AndyT

Many of Charles Grant's excellent Tabletop Teasers are available online here:

http://steve-the-wargamer-teasers.blogspot.com/

Cheers,
Andy

Leon

Quote from: Aart Brouwer on 08 October 2010, 03:24:27 PM
Come on, you wuss.  8)

I was just thinking: maybe you guys could redo the whole Pendraken range in 12mm, or 13,5mm. How bout that eh?  :D

Cheers,
Aart

We'll put the price up 20% now and put it one side.  Then when we've saved up enough to replace 3000 codes, we'll get started!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

kustenjaeger

Greetings

I've been wondering about using my 10mm SYW (when painted!) for large battalion games and tabletop teasers, by merging the 24 figure battalions (easy with 1st & 2nd battalions, do-able with battalions with similar facings.

Regards

Edward

lentulus

Quote from: kustenjaeger on 10 October 2010, 01:42:50 PM
Greetings

I've been wondering about using my 10mm SYW (when painted!) for large battalion games and tabletop teasers, by merging the 24 figure battalions (easy with 1st & 2nd battalions, do-able with battalions with similar facings.

Regards

Edward

Charge divides the very large battalion/regiment into companies/squadrons.  I just use my battalions as if they were charge companies and declare my brigades to be units of morale equal to companies.

Dave Fielder

"Old school in 10mm" ... isn't that an oxymoron? I thought the absolute minimum height was 20mm before it could even be considered Old School.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis