Time Commanders

Started by T13A, 28 November 2016, 03:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Pringle

Disappointingly incoherent, I thought. I know we here are not the intended audience. All the more reason for it to be clearer. Yes, it's fun to see people trying to make decisions under pressure, but it would be more fun if we had been given a better understanding of the factors affecting their decisions. Opportunity missed to explain about the beautiful rock-scissors-paper triads of Napoleonic warfare: relative strengths and weaknesses of infantry-cavalry-artillery, firepower-protection-mobility, column-line-square. And at the operational level they could have been clearer about Napoleon being outnumbered by the Anglo-Dutch and Prussians combined, hence his efforts to keep them apart and defeat them in detail. Simple stuff that should have been easy to present clearly. Unfortunately being shouty and emphatic is not a substitute for clarity.

Zippee

Agreed,
as Waterloo it was unrecognisable - the instructions and scene setting given the teams was deplorable. And woefully inaccurate, "race for the farmhouses" indeed - no mention of Quatre Bras or rain or mud, a single comment on the 'skirmish' at Ligny, no Prussian pursuit or Grouchy. Not even the Imperial Guard were singled out.

The worst was the absence of tactical info for the teams - the Aquarium Frogs got no help at all, no information on line, column, musketry just advance into artillery that seemed to be firing 150mm HE, The Anglo-Archers got some limited info on squares and that was it. So the actual battle was a mess, no tactical knowledge just hurl everything at one farm and hope for the best.

I actually thought the Archer captain was trying to do the right thing but like a chess grand master playing a numpty who doesn't understand the rules of 'proper' chess she was a bit flummoxed by the random incoherence of the French

This might be how 12 year olds play Waterloo in total battle but really that's no excuse to project such a travesty on the BBC "intellectuals" channel. It either has to have some historical credibility or outright entertainment, currently it doesn't have either - I can't see who the programme is aimed at.

Norm

I watched most of it, but switched off before the end as I was confused at what was what and what was where, it just became a swirling mass of graphics to me. Thought the room was very peaceful immediately after hitting the off button.

toxicpixie

To be honest, we could probably all do with playing a few wargames whilst under utterly chaotic, confused, loud and obnoxious conditions where we can barely function, with objectives and systems we don't really understand (or if we do, they don't work). It'd likely give a good air of verisimilitude to our proceedings and a great appreciation for actual command :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fsn

I do.

And I'm a solo wargamer.

Who writes his own rules.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Zippee

Quote from: toxicpixie on 21 December 2016, 03:23:02 PM
To be honest, we could probably all do with playing a few wargames whilst under utterly chaotic, confused, loud and obnoxious conditions where we can barely function, with objectives and systems we don't really understand (or if we do, they don't work). It'd likely give a good air of verisimilitude to our proceedings and a great appreciation for actual command :D

Don't be silly, all is serene and quiet in the chateau bar the gentle clink of crystal and slight glugging noises. I made my plans at leisure yesterday after luncheon, they have been written up and disseminated. No reason for anything to go wrong dear boy, just follow the bullet point guide like a good chap, chin-chin.

Steve J

QuoteTo be honest, we could probably all do with playing a few wargames whilst under utterly chaotic, confused, loud and obnoxious conditions where we can barely function

Sounds like an average club night or some wargames shows ;)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Okay, having watched episode 2, was it accurate: no.
Was it fun: yeah!
Will I watch again? Of course!

All I'll say is this: we are not your average viewing public. We know a hell of a lot more than they.
Are they representing what MIGHT have happened? No, but they are trying to give a flavour of the period to the uninitiated.
Did they succeed, yes, with elan!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Subedai

I noticed they had what looked like a  big poster sized picture of Chinggis Qahan up there on the wall amongst all the other military 'luminaries' including Olly Cromwell, Joan of Arc and possibly Sun Tzu. Wonder which of their battles they will chose? If they chose Naseby for Cromwell, that's it, I will be voicing my extreme displeasure as to the accuracy of the BBC!

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Last Hussar

Quote from: fsn on 21 December 2016, 03:58:06 PM
I do.

And I'm a solo wargamer.

Who writes his own rules.

Isn't that most of your life as well?
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Clueless contestants, an irritating presenter, under-used and underwhelming experts and graphics such that the action is almost impossible to follow. What's not to like?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Definitely a Marmite topic, this one, eh ?

(For our friends overseas,.....Marnite is a yeasty, salty 'spread' you can put on toast, bread...whatever. Folk either love the taste....or loathe it !)

Cheers - Phil

Leman

Quote from: Subedai on 21 December 2016, 08:47:18 PM
I noticed they had what looked like a  big poster sized picture of Chinggis Qahan up there on the wall amongst all the other military 'luminaries' including Olly Cromwell, Joan of Arc and possibly Sun Tzu. Wonder which of their battles they will chose? If they chose Naseby for Cromwell, that's it, I will be voicing my extreme displeasure as to the accuracy of the BBC!

MickS
They should have had a poster of Genghis Khan as he is much better known.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

Quote from: Zippee on 21 December 2016, 05:11:36 PM
Don't be silly, all is serene and quiet in the chateau bar the gentle clink of crystal and slight glugging noises. I made my plans at leisure yesterday after luncheon, they have been written up and disseminated. No reason for anything to go wrong dear boy, just follow the bullet point guide like a good chap, chin-chin.

"Who is... General Haig!"

Do I win?

Or are you Louis XIV? Better clothes, worse personal hygiene...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting