Time Commanders

Started by T13A, 28 November 2016, 03:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

Hi All

Anyone remember 'Time Commanders' on the BBC?

Well its back, with Gregg Wallace ?!!

See here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2016/50/time-commanders?ns_mchannel=YT&ns_linkname=description_link

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

jimduncanuk

Can't see me sparing the time to watch this as I understand that the contestants will be from Joe Public and the host is a guy who thinks he can cook.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Techno

Seem to remember something akin to that from a (good ?) few years back...(Which I found mildly interesting)......But the name of the prog doesn't ring any bells, at all.
(Why won't the undecided smiley come up in the preview ?)

Lots of computer generated battles, once the 'generals' had decided on their tactics/deployment etc ?.....That the one ?

Cheers - Phil

d_Guy

Thanks T13A. I think I saw something about this a while back but then promptly forgot about it. Glad for you mention of it. I'm going to try to find some old episodes and see what it's like. May try to find a way to get a stream of in from Channel Four if I like it.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Wulf

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 28 November 2016, 03:56:17 PM
Can't see me sparing the time to watch this as I understand that the contestants will be from Joe Public and the host is a guy who thinks he can cook.
Nonetheless, almost everyone on this forum is also Joe Public, and some of us can cook (not me, mind you). Says nothing about anyone's ability to wargame...

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Wulf on 28 November 2016, 04:24:37 PM

Nonetheless, almost everyone on this forum is also Joe Public, and some of us can cook (not me, mind you). Says nothing about anyone's ability to wargame...

At least everyone on this forum is likely to be a wargamer ...
My Ego forbids a signature.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

If can't persuade Mrs W. to watch, it looks like it will be BBC i-player for me. Graphics should be better, too. Wonder who 'the military experts' will be? According to Wikipedia, Dr Aryeh (now Lynette) Nusbacher featured in every episode but no sign on IMDB that she will be appearing in the new series. By the way, d-guy, Channel 4 in the UK is a different (commercial) channel from BBC Four in the UK.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Zippee

Yeah, we applied to be on it - they didn't want people with any actual knowledge of the periods. . .

It's an entertainment show, can't have the contestants displaying more knowledge than the host - which probably excludes anyone who's read a ladybird book on Wellington or Alexander. Or maybe, just maybe the bald grocer is a secret history buff. But I'm not holding my breath.

Still we shouldn't sniff, it's about as close to prime time wargaming as we're going to get outside of YouTube

d_Guy

Thanks Westie! I can't even keep up with how many channels ESPN has here and I'm a college sports fan.

Jim, Thanks for the YouTube link - I'll give it a look.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

mollinary

Given how little wargamey stuff finds its way onto our screens, I intend to give it the benefit of the doubt until I have actually seen it.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

I remember this the first time round and it was utter b******x - so count me out.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Bernie

Eddie Mair was a good host in the original series - so tongue in cheek. Dr Nusbacher was as ever very precise and the guy who was the fight arranger was good on the kit of the time. The other experts were given very little to do which was a waste as Goldsworthy is excellent and Mark Urban is of course a noted wargamer himself!

The game software and team set up was unhistorical but made for a pleasant 40 minutes.

My son who was 9 at the time seem to have a better grasp of the ancient battles than many of the contestants. It seems the contestants were chosen for their lack of any historical knowledge as some wargaming mates applied and were turned down straight away.

New series supposed to have some Age of Gunpowder battles being portrayed

As there is so very little on gaming on tele I'll give it a go, but will probably be screaming at the box by the end!

fsn

If I remember last time, the teams were divided into Generals and Captains. There seemed to be a lot of shouting and very little ... wait ... what?

Quote from: Westmarcher on 28 November 2016, 05:22:23 PM
Dr Aryeh (now Lynette) Nusbacher

When did that happen?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!