hacking attempt?

Started by petercooman, 27 November 2016, 12:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

An apostrophe is a field limiter in several of the computer systems I've used. I'm guessing this is the root of the problem here. Basically the forum software is reading single apostrophes as an instruction not punctuation.

Either it's smart enough to recognise the difference between paired apostrophes and single ones (some of the systems I've used are) or paired apostrophes "turn it on and turn it off again" or vice versa so don't trigger the problem.

Pretty much all of the systems had somewhere you could choose what characters were treated as instructions though finding where that was ... not always so simple!

Simplest solution meantime would seem to be be for people to avoid apostrophes in Subject lines.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I agree. most keyboards have a reverse apostrophe on the top left hand side. I think this needs a use of the fn or control key to reach, but is ignored by the program controls, in Access at least.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

d_Guy

Again getting these errors while trying to respond to urbancohort in the photo thread.
Tried stripping the apostrophe from title, then ALL the special characters - no joy.
The other strange behavior was in editing the title my space bar no longer worked!
Sleep with clean hands ...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

There are two apostrophes on that one...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Yup! Thanks!  Just saw you're message crawl! Missed the first apostrophe - duh! :)
Still can't type new character (not just space bar) in title - don't know if this is a new issue or not.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Shedman

I'm getting the Hacking Attempt when I try and reply to a post

Any advice?

Shedman

My advice is to remove ' from the title then it works

Alan

toxicpixie

It's a pain, my painting thread title was set way back "before the update" and coped fine with an apostrophe...

Now I have to forget to change it when I post, get the error, go back, copy my post to tool tip, refresh the page, paste the message back in, remove the apostrophe then post :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Womble67

Quote from: toxicpixie on 13 March 2018, 10:00:55 AM
It's a pain, my painting thread title was set way back "before the update" and coped fine with an apostrophe...

Now I have to forget to change it when I post, get the error, go back, copy my post to tool tip, refresh the page, paste the message back in, remove the apostrophe then post :D

I tried to post on your thread yesterday but was unable

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

You need to knock the apostrophe out the title - I should probably start a new thread, half the links are duff and that apostrophe is an arse!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leon

Quote from: toxicpixie on 13 March 2018, 05:21:06 PM
You need to knock the apostrophe out the title - I should probably start a new thread, half the links are duff and that apostrophe is an arse!

I've edited the original thread title and removed the apostrophe so any subsequent replies will have it removed it as well.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

toxicpixie

Cheers Leon!

Guess I should paint more Pendraken stuff to put on now :D

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!