hacking attempt?

Started by petercooman, 27 November 2016, 12:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldenBUA

I agree that it's a bit of a pain, feels too much like work if you need to use double apostrophes.

But if it's all due to some update, maybe it can be rolled back?
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

fsn

Tried to post a new thread using apostrophe. Got "hacking attempt".

Tried again with double apostrophe, go "you've already posted this".

Neither appears on the forum from what I can see.  :(
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

OldenBUA

I think you do need to use the double apostrophes right from the start when you start a new thread. Otherwise you get the 'hacking attempt' error, and after that everything goes awry.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

fred.

Quote from: OldenBUA on 02 January 2017, 11:35:03 AM
I think you do need to use the double apostrophes right from the start when you start a new thread. Otherwise you get the 'hacking attempt' error, and after that everything goes awry.

That would make sense.

Otherwise its too much to expect the person replying to remember to double up on apostrophes or other troublesome characters.

Quote from: fsn on 02 January 2017, 11:23:39 AM
Tried to post a new thread using apostrophe. Got "hacking attempt".

Tried again with double apostrophe, go "you've already posted this".

I've had this problem before - the double post check seems to be running before the hacking attempt code - and stops you from re-posting. I found that I had to copy the text, and start again. All in all quite a pain.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

Quote from: fred. on 02 January 2017, 09:10:49 AM
I wonder if you just weren't going back far enough - it is on page 5 of my posts, and it would have been a fair way back on the Painting Diaries thread as that game was some time ago now.

I THINK this one should have been on first page of 'show the last posts of this person' on your personal profile, Forbes...as I didn't spot it on the forum, last night.
I'm probably cracking up, X_X

Cheers - Phil

OldenBUA

Quote from: Techno on 02 January 2017, 02:14:31 PM
I THINK this one should have been on first page of 'show the last posts of this person' on your personal profile, Forbes...as I didn't spot it on the forum, last night.
I'm probably cracking up, X_X

Cheers - Phil
Phil, that was just me posting in Fred's old 2016 painting diary. The one that he gave up on because of the error messages.

Quote from: fred. on 02 January 2017, 11:52:32 AM
Otherwise its too much to expect the person replying to remember to double up on apostrophes or other troublesome characters.

Sadly no. The double apostrophes get changed to a single one. So you need to insert a second one yourself.

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Techno

Told you I was cracking up.  ;)
Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

Quote from: OldenBUA on 02 January 2017, 02:30:46 PM
Sadly no. The double apostrophes get changed to a single one. So you need to insert a second one yourself.

Or we need to persuade people who want follow up of any sort to post Subjects without apostrophes. :)

"My 2017 Painting Diary by Fred" rather than "Fred's 2017 Painting Diary."

Or a change of forum software, one or the other.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leon

I'll pass all this info on to Matt and see if it helps find the bug in the software.

Quote from: Ithoriel on 02 January 2017, 03:27:01 PM
Or a change of forum software, one or the other.

I'm not sure if we could keep all of the posts/threads intact with a chance of software, so it's not something we'd be looking to do.  Hopefully we can just fix this error and get things back to normal, as the SMF software is pretty solid and gets updates/support regularly.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Ithoriel

Quote from: Leon on 03 January 2017, 05:52:31 PM
I'll pass all this info on to Matt and see if it helps find the bug in the software.

I'm not sure if we could keep all of the posts/threads intact with a chance of software, so it's not something we'd be looking to do.  Hopefully we can just fix this error and get things back to normal, as the SMF software is pretty solid and gets updates/support regularly.

Sorry! A clumsily worded comment from me - that's what I meant by a change of forum software. i.e. changing the software so it went back to working as it used to.

On the other hand, if tweaking it so search worked better were possible that would be nice.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Is the 'Show unread posts since last visit' facility working properly ?  :-\

Just used it (my usual method of checking new posts) and nothing came up.
Had a look at 'the latest posts' list....and there were certainly a few there, that weren't there the last time I logged in...So they should have shown up, surely ?

Cheers - Phil.

Techno

Forget that.....Seems to be working fine again, now.

How peculiar.

Cheers - Phil

Techno

I can't get d-Guy's new thread to respond without an error report......I'm sure I'm doing what was advised, though.

Cheers  - Phil (Confused of Wales)

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15371.msg223541.html#msg223541

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Think it's likewise for me, tried a reply - with one  ' - dbase error, added second and it told me I had already posted. Very odd, looks broke.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

OldenBUA

All is explained in d_guy's thread. I hope. And yes, threads with an apostrophe in the subject are currently broken. They did work before but something has been changed that messes things up. Probably not only with apostrophes, it's just that they're the most used.

Aander lu bin óók lu.