Rommel by Sam Mustafa

Started by Fenton, 27 November 2016, 12:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Grids seem to be increasingly popular, to the point that the genre can support commercial rules.

Peter Pig has been a long time supporter, but now we also have the To The Strongest for ancients (figures on squares) doing well and there is a good cross-over (figures on hexes) with the Command and Colours series in both ancients and napoleonics.

The Prof Sabin system is also getting represented on the table-top.

I have never understood why a view persists that unless it is figures on an open table, it is not a 'real' wargame.

toxicpixie

Seconded, Norm :)

You can always say "proper" wargames are just a board game, with an inaccurate and awkward ruler instead of a decent board. And you have to make the board yourself! That's rude, selling a game without the bloody board, and expecting you to buy separate playing pieces.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ithoriel

Quote from: Norm on 18 January 2017, 06:47:21 AM
I have never understood why a view persists that unless it is figures on an open table, it is not a 'real' wargame.

For me a wargame played on a grid is a board game with 3D counters - don't have a problem with that, I play many of these and have even designed a few for my own amusement. I'm converting "Poseidon's Warriors" to a boardgame because I think it will play better (time will tell!!).

They are not necessarily lesser than tabletop games without a grid where movement options are not restricted by an artificial grid - some are, some aren't - but they are different.

Quote from: toxicpixie on 18 January 2017, 09:46:08 AM
You can always say "proper" wargames are just a board game, with an inaccurate and awkward ruler instead of a decent board. And you have to make the board yourself! That's rude, selling a game without the bloody board, and expecting you to buy separate playing pieces.

Rommel sounds to me like a boardgame where the author has decided that providing the board is too expensive and/ or awkward to provide. If it's a good game system I'd be up for making the board myself. If ...
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Dave Fielder

Listening to the podcast we are looking at a late summer 2017 issue of Rommel. Think I'll wait until then before preparing speculation or armies.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Shecky

23 June 2017, 04:01:09 AM #64 Last Edit: 23 June 2017, 04:43:15 AM by Shecky
Disregard. I tried posting a picture of the basing scheme I came up with for Rommel but the file is too large. Let me try another approach.

Leman

I have moved more towards gridded games, such as Square Bashing, Hammerin' Iron, TtS, To the Last Gaiter Button. I like the system of manoeuvre in these games, but there are times when I think it doesn't work, e.g. I much prefer the RCFM original Regiment of Foote to the new gridded version. In this instance the grid leaves the units looking very unrealistic and visual aesthetics is very important in my games (I also don't like the new pre-game campaign compared to the original, but that's another story).
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Shecky

24 June 2017, 06:14:24 PM #66 Last Edit: 24 June 2017, 06:20:25 PM by Shecky

Finally able to get the image loaded....

Pictured are two battalions of the 36th Infantry plus two Russian T-34s

I'm mounting the figures on 60x30 mm bases which have a magnetic bottom. I then put these on 60x40mm flanged steel movement trays.  I printed out the combat information and put these on a 60x10mm magnetic base and attach it to the movement tray.  This way I can change the unit information as needed. 

I ordered artillery from Pendraken this week and once they arrive and I have a chance to paint them, they will go on 40x50mm bases with a 40x10mm magnetic base for the unit information.

The movement trays and magnetic bases are from Shogun Miniatures.  

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

An interesting basing approach

Would green be a better background colour for the combat information :-\
The white seems to draw my eye away for the good looking models

I tend to use darker colours for the backgrounds of my labels and white writing, that way I can use different colours for different sides YMMV
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Shecky

Paul,
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I should have mentioned that this is just the first draft of the combat information. I was checking to see if I could fit a unit insignia (36th "Texas" Infantry Division") and combat factors, plus whatever else may be needed, on a 10 x 60mm strip. Between now and when the rules come out I should have time to fidget with the look and finalize a template I can use to create the information on the fly.

Leman

Sorry, but I really don't like that strip at the back of the base. Not aesthetically pleasing and one of a number of reasons why I dumped Blucher.

Ithoriel

I think they look great and the data strips look fine to me, no doubt by the time you've finished they will look even better.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

lowlylowlycook

Nice looking stuff.  I recognized Shoguns bases and trays immediately.

Leman

Nah....I think I'll stick with no data strip and Wendy houses.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Leman on 26 June 2017, 02:50:05 PM
Nah....I think I'll stick with no data strip and Wendy houses.

And why not, Leman, each to their own and all that.

doctorphalanx

I've come late to this party but publication is getting close so I thought I'd revive this thread...

I'm working on three different approaches:

(1) For really big games (or a small table at home) I'll probably just game with the unit cards.

(2) For my already painted 10mm armies I'll just slip the cards partially underneath the bases.

(3) For new armies (in 3mm) I haven't finally decided. The bases will be big (60mm wide). I might add a strip to the back or produce my own cards which will project under the base at the back. If I don't like the look of that I can add a discreet ID number and use a roster.

Richard