Rommel by Sam Mustafa

Started by Fenton, 27 November 2016, 12:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

What kind of size does the square need to be in relation to the figures - or probably more importantly the base size of the figures? Or how small a square can you go with before it gets very cramped.

I've been looking at D-Day beaches and they defaut 12x8km is a very interesting size. Any of the beaches easily fit in this size, along with most of the first day objectives. The two most interesting are Sword and Utah where you can get the beach and the airborne landings on the table.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Nick the Lemming

You can stack 3 bases at most in a square, so it depends on what basing you've used. The nice thing about using squares is that basing doesn't matter - you and your opponent can have completely different basing and still play Rommel.

fred.

Interesting point about different basing. I've just done some checking with my figures, and can get 3 bases into a 4" square quite easily. Which gives me 18x12km on a 6x4' table, and I can usually get another foot if needed so that would be 21x12km.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Last Hussar

My bases are 30mm square, 4 of them fit into a RUB hobby tray compartment, so I could do 3" squares, giving me 24x16.

Or use the 4 trays in a 9 l box as a battlefield on the move for a 6x10 minigame.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

KTravlos

My main goal is to use this for 1939-1940. Especially the German Invasion of Poland , what ifs with Czechoslovakia, the German invasion of the Netherlands, France, and Belgium, the Italian-French mountain fighting, the Chaco War, the Ecuadorian-Peruvian War, the Thai-Vichy French War, and the Greek-Italian War. For me the tools to cover these will be the selling point. If Sam does not do it, then off to Bloody Big Battles WW2 mod. But past history of Sams work makes me hopeful.

fred.

The podcast mentions that it will be open system, with all the formula you need to create new units. I think it will cover 6 nations within the rule book, across all periods of the war, covering Africa, Europe and Russia. I think Sam has said that it will be expandable to other theatres - I think by players, rather than by him.

toxicpixie

Quote from: fred. on 15 January 2017, 06:54:47 PM
Interesting point about different basing. I've just done some checking with my figures, and can get 3 bases into a 4" square quite easily. Which gives me 18x12km on a 6x4' table, and I can usually get another foot if needed so that would be 21x12km.

4" to the kilometre starts to grab my interest a bit more :)

As our WW2 is generally on 30mm bases that'd work out nicely with a bit of wiggle room...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fred.

With 30mm bases you could probably do 3" squares quite happily as you can deploy in a triangular formation within the square

Which gives a big area - my WWI stuff is on 30mm squares so this is quite interesting

toxicpixie

Yes, that'd work - would look like either one up, two back, or two up, one back battalion formations :)

Presumably with support companies a square back...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fred.

The podcast implies that support companies aren't directly represented- they are rolled into the infantry companies.

toxicpixie

Ah, using the command post grid to assign extra efforts and resources and assets around?

I suspect I'm thinking Spearhead style still, where your fighting battalions get divisional level assets assigned out by company to them...

Ithoriel

So, 25mm squares, 20mm square tokens stacked no more than 3 deep in a square and a 50km x 75km chunk of real estate?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

I think you have just described a board game!

Ithoriel

Quote from: fred. on 17 January 2017, 06:29:41 PM
I think you have just described a board game!

Quote from: Ithoriel on 12 January 2017, 04:27:49 PM
Listened to the podcast - clear as mud.

He keeps talking as though it's a tabletop wargame but every description sounds like a board game - colour me confused.

Sounds like it IS a board game to me.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Last Hussar

Can still be a wargame.  All grids do is regulate measurements, a bit like a tape.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry