Rommel by Sam Mustafa

Started by Fenton, 27 November 2016, 12:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

I'm interested in this game. It does seem to have some board game elements.

But the idea you can do all of D-day on a few tables is intriguing.

As I can field a British armoured division at 1 stand = a platoon, I wonder what I can field at 1 to company scale.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Fenton

Quote from: fred. on 12 January 2017, 06:09:41 PM
I'm interested in this game. It does seem to have some board game elements.

But the idea you can do all of D-day on a few tables is intriguing.

As I can field a British armoured division at 1 stand = a platoon, I wonder what I can field at 1 to company scale.

Everything?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fred.

Had a rummage through the figures, and I was clearly mis-remembering what I have, and had forgotten that I had rebased a lot of stuff for CoC as 1s and 2s.

While I have enough tanks for all 3 regiments of an armoured division at 1:platoon scale, I don't have that much infantry.

I pretty much have all the troops for a late war British infantry division, with 3 brigades, of 3 battalions each of 4 companies. Along with AT, AA, Engineer, and MG regiments. Field artillery seems to be represented at 1 stand per regiment, so just need 3x 25pdrs for that.

What I do have left in large numbers are carriers, 3" mortars and 6pdr AT guns - these seem a bit un-needed at company scale.

On the left is an armoured division, I can easily field the 3 armoured regiments, each of 3 Shermans and 1 Stuart, along with the Motor Battalion. The Infantry Brigade is a problem, would need another 12 infantry stands for this. Then the divisional troops are fine, with Armoured Recce Regt, Armoured Car Regiment, AA, & AT. And 1 SP and 1 towed artillery regiments. Could swap the Shermans for Cromwells to do 7th Armoured Div.

On the right an independent tank brigade. Dead easy with lots of Shermans. Could probably field another of these. But haven't got enough Churchills for a full Brigade.

And at the middle right is an AGRA, with 1x 25pdr, 4x 4.5" guns and a 155mm gun.

Not pictured I have plenty of 79th AD stuff for most likely scenarios.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

Also dug out my British and American Airborne

Again both have had in-roads due to CoC, but it looks like I can field a division of each. It also seems that the Arnhem area, from drop zones to the bridge, will just nicely fit on a 6'x4' table at the default scale of 6" to 1km.

British Airborne division - gone for 2 parachute brigades with 3 companies per battalion, and a larger air-landing brigade. AT and Artillery, along with Recce at the top

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Now that's gonna be a scrap!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Fenton

Nice collection Fred

After reading more of what Sam Mustafa has said on the Honour site about squares and distances I am drawn to the idea of the game even more
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Womble67

Very nice collection you have

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

In true wargamer fashion I listened to Sam's podcast and immediately wondered if it could be converted to WW1

toxicpixie

Try PETER Pigs "Squarebashing" :)

Looks cracking in 10mm!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fred.

Quote from: Womble67 on 15 January 2017, 12:49:18 AM
Very nice collection you have

Thanks chaps - does need a bit more basing and finishing off, as these photos show.

Quote from: Fenton on 15 January 2017, 10:20:42 AM
In true wargamer fashion I listened to Sam's podcast and immediately wondered if it could be converted to WW1
Me too.

But I am thinking of Market Garden at the minute - got the books out, looking at maps. Lots of bits of key action happen in the right sorts of areas to be covered by these rules.

Fenton

So many choices spring to mind. Though Arnhem even though I have played it multi player would be interesting

toxicpixie

Hmm, I was hoping for something a bit larger scale than 1km = 6", that's only one up from Spearhead (and not even that with the alternate ground scale!).

Still, company stands is a good plan? Or are they larger - battalion or similar?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fred.

Yes, company stands. The scale is down to the size of squares you go with. 6" is the default, and I think based around 15mm miniatures, I think a 1x2" base size is mentioned. If you have smaller figures/bases then you can use a smaller square size and get more geography on the table. I was toying with a 5" square, but it makes little difference on a 6x4' table.

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: fred. on 15 January 2017, 01:58:11 PM
Yes, company stands. The scale is down to the size of squares you go with. 6" is the default, and I think based around 15mm miniatures, I think a 1x2" base size is mentioned. If you have smaller figures/bases then you can use a smaller square size and get more geography on the table. I was toying with a 5" square, but it makes little difference on a 6x4' table.

You can use whatever size squares you want; we've been using mostly 6" squares, whether with 15mm, 6mm or 3mm, but if you have a smaller table and smaller figure, you can cut that down to 3" or 4" squares if you wish. If you want to use 25mm, you could even go for 8" or bigger squares, as long as you have a bigger table.

You can certainly use smaller squares *and* a larger table if you want big epic battles, but you'd probably have to increase the forces used, and add some more game turns in, otherwise you run the risk of hardly getting into contact before the game ends. It will affect the scenario objectives too - more spread out, and the attacker is going to find it harder to take and hold specific sites; it's going to take longer to get off the other end of the table, that sort of thing, so you might have to tinker with other stuff too.