Rommel by Sam Mustafa

Started by Fenton, 27 November 2016, 12:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

There are some photos of some playtest games and some of the cards on the Honour games Facebook page

Not sure how to link it here with my tablet
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: Fenton on 17 December 2016, 07:01:05 PM
There are some photos of some playtest games and some of the cards on the Honour games Facebook page

Not sure how to link it here with my tablet

I don't think you can link to them, it's a closed group - others would also have to be members. I think you can link to the group page though, and then if people join, they'll be able to see the pics.

Or you could download and save the pics then put them up here as you would any other, that should work too, but would be a bit labour intensive.

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

toxicpixie

Is that different to the Sam Mustangs Punlishinf Faceache page? That has a nice picture of a pin up he's using as a placeholder :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Fenton

It's the Honour group page or  The tabletop commanders forum

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

PB

A very interesting podcast with Sam providing a pretty in-depth overview of the game, which he hopes to have released around September - has my attention.

Ithoriel

Listened to the podcast - clear as mud.

He keeps talking as though it's a tabletop wargame but every description sounds like a board game - colour me confused.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Fenton

Quote from: Ithoriel on 12 January 2017, 04:27:49 PM
Listened to the podcast - clear as mud.

He keeps talking as though it's a tabletop wargame but every description sounds like a board game - colour me confused.

After seeing some graphics and reading done titbits about it I got the same feeling

toxicpixie

There's an interesting looking variant of BBB currently being tweaked about with that's definitely a mini's game :D

Scale is one (large) base is about a regiment.

TBH Sam's description of the square system for Rommel sounds like Peter Pigs similar rules sets - PBI etc. PBI works brilliantly. No reason Rommel shouldn't either. But it's a very "folks that like this sort of thing, will like this sort of thing" experience - like the pod cast says, "some people recoil in horror" when squares are mentioned :D

Nick the Lemming

Having playtested it for quite a while now, it's definitely a wargame. I quite like it too. And yes, it has a similar board layout to PBI - squares to mark the table.

toxicpixie

I was sceptical of the squares approach until I played a couple of PP games using it, found it worked decently, and then found for PBI it was brilliant :D

If it works for the game, then it works. I wouldn't dismiss it - f'r instance I thought Maurice would be a really hard sell for one of my groups, with the cards. Turns out they love it, same with Aurelian!

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: toxicpixie on 12 January 2017, 05:03:56 PM
I was sceptical of the squares approach until I played a couple of PP games using it, found it worked decently, and then found for PBI it was brilliant :D

I was sceptical too, but it does work well with Rommel when you consider the scale.

toxicpixie

Tbh it might work better - we've tried Megablitz a couple of times but couldn't get over the look of it, when units only fight in contact and you have pike half a dozen models on top of each other it just looks daft. Squares would stop that, even with larger scale figures.