Rommel by Sam Mustafa

Started by Fenton, 27 November 2016, 12:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

Saw these mentioned on Facebook
I am presuming they are WW2. Anyone know any more about them?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

toxicpixie

http://www.sammustafa.com/honour-forums/future-games/desert-fox/?PHPSESSID=390cfa92360c6f893b0168e088e5bff4

Is probably about everything!

Operational in scale, not limited to North Africa, base size not figure scale is important.

Unless you find the podcast mentioned I think that's it..:
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

PB

This one is still in the works. Am awaiting with interest.

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: Fenton on 27 November 2016, 12:36:40 AM
Saw these mentioned on Facebook
I am presuming they are WW2. Anyone know any more about them?

Yes. :)

Unfortunately for you, I'm under an NDA. :P

Aksu

In a nutshell, it is a large scale WW2 game. The old ruleset Megablitz was aiming to do the same. To quote Sam Mustafa: "The game is operational in scale.  You command entire divisions, corps, and even armies.  It's about force management, not the relative armor penetration of an 88 versus a 17-pdr.  I have no desire to add yet another WW2 skirmish game to this vastly overloaded marketplace.  On the other hand, I've always wanted to do a "big-scale" WW2 game, and Rommel is going to be it."
Cheers,
Aksu

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

toxicpixie

Yeah, reading the thread made me think "Megablitz", which is good as whilst I really wanted to like Megablitz it just didn't work for us.

Lucky bugger, Nick :)

Cheers  for the M&M link, Aksu!

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

KTravlos

If this is a Bloody Big Battles or Great War Spearhead II for WW2, count me in. Count me very in.

Fenton

I recall Megablitz being 1 stand being a battalion but  I might be thinking of another game

Last Hussar

Ok, going to be looking for these.

What I really want from an Op game is one that models C&C, planning and Logistics, which is the real part of being a General, as opposed to a Major.

I'm trying to find a way to implement on the table top a Game version of the British Army 1956 rules.  I know what I want to achieve - an attack must be planned, and planning takes 1 hour per battalion involved, plus 1 hour per HQ that needs to be involved.  Thus a Brigade attack of 3 Bns takes 4 hours to plan - 1 per Bn, +1 for the HQ.  A Division attacking with 2 Bdes would take 1 per Bn, +2 (1 for each Bde HQ) +1 for DivHQ.  That still isn't actually long enough, but it gives an idea you can get behind the planning curve.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

ronan

Quote from: Last Hussar on 27 November 2016, 04:44:47 PM
What I really want from an Op game is one that models C&C, planning and Logistics, (...)

I'd like too !

fred.

The sound interesting. A divisional or corps level game would be good.

LH - what you suggest sounds possible, though could be tedious  to work without an umpire. What I think would be hard Is to model the effects of enemy attacks while you are still planning, and to make it a disadvantage for the player to not just throwing in small scale attacks. I suppose you would also need to model the initial plan - which the units are following unitil ordered to do something different.

All good stuff to model, but much harder to make gamable.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Last Hussar

And that's my problem!

As to the small attacks - well, whether that works on the table should depend on whether it works in real life.  Remember that the planning time is just that - planning - it isn't the units moving. while small scale spoilers may disrupt, you'd basically be throwing small units at large ones in a defensive posture- while the Majors fight those the Generals keep planning.

I envision that units AUTOMATICALLY dig in - it tends to be first rule for the PBI - if you stop, dig in, don't wait to be told.

When units would be vulnerable is for a turn at H Minus 1: its at that point they are organising from Defence into Attack posture, so getting (in game terms) neither sets of bonuses: That is hard to time!
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

KTravlos

I hope Sam continues with his accommodating imaginations etc theme. I would love to try some of the more peripheral wars of the era using them: The Chaco War, The Ecuador-Peru War, The Thai-Vichy War as well potential what ifs. Man I am stoked. The last years have been great for the operational art of war! Bloody Big Battles for the 19th Century, WW1 Spearhead for early WW1, and now this!