A Tale of Four Gamers - the Sequel

Started by Steve J, 23 November 2016, 10:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

I've got to figure out how to make 3 separate (as far the moulding is concerned) riders to fit on a beastie that doesn't already have a saddle.

It's going to be horribly fiddly, and I will probably almost certainly end up using a lot of harsh language.

Never had to make any separate riders at a wee scale.

Wouldn't be difficult at 25/30mm, as the wire for the legs would be reasonably sturdy, but the wire I'll have to use to 'build up the legs' is going to be so fine, it's going to wobble about all over the place when I start putting the putty on. :-\

Cheers - Phil.

Steve J

Could you cover the beastie with clingfilm or tin foil, so you can sculpt the figure directly onto said beastie? We used to do this when putting filler on parts that needed to be seperate and worked pretty well, as long as you allowed for shrinkage.

Steve J

3 British WWII command bases painted and washed. It's a good few years ago that I painted the main units and now looking at them they look a but dull due to the wash. I may go back and add highlights to make them pop a bit.

Techno

Quote from: Steve J on 03 September 2020, 11:14:34 AM
Could you cover the beastie with clingfilm or tin foil, so you can sculpt the figure directly onto said beastie? We used to do this when putting filler on parts that needed to be seperate and worked pretty well, as long as you allowed for shrinkage.

I think I've sussed how to do this, Steve........You're not going to be a million miles away. ;)
I've worked out two options.....I'll take the easiest, so I don't have to get Leon to cast 'bits' up, and then return to Techno Towers.....Where I'd have to ream wodges of white metal away from the returned 'bits'.

I HAVE used clingfilm before, to stop things 'sticking'.....I'm very impressed you (anyone) thought of that. :-bd

I'll probably use some 'instant' silicon mould, so I can make copies of the 'saddle'.

Cheers - Phil :)

Steve J

QuoteI'm very impressed you (anyone) thought of that.

It's a standard technique in the prototyping World, so I can't claim any credit for it.

Steve J

I added 'highlights' to the WWII Brits and I'm glad I did, they look much better. So now just have to flock 3 bases and I have a good basic British Battalion for '39 - '45. Still more units to do and some to highlight, but nearly there :).

Techno

Quote from: Steve J on 03 September 2020, 03:47:48 PM
It's a standard technique in the prototyping World, so I can't claim any credit for it.

I think I used that technique over 20 years ago.  ;D
I'm sure I wouldn't have been the first to think of it by a factor of 'umpteen'.

Cheers - Phil. ;)

hammurabi70

Quote from: mad lemmey on 03 September 2020, 12:10:27 AM
4 and a half bags of self-levelling compound mixed by hand and poured onto the kitchen floor today.
That's my bit done, now its up to the Amazing Mrs Denham to decorate.
Oh, and 94 shield transfers applied to the 10mm auxiliaries I've not touched in nearly 3 weeks.

On first reading this I thought you must be fashioning a VERY big base.  :o  ;D
I suppose it is, just not for models.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Shield transfers added to dismounted cavalry. Shoulder patches, rank stripes, helmet markings, etc added to 28mm US airborne.
Never again on that second item.  @-) @-) @-) :-B X_X :-t :-t ^#(^ [-(
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Two Legion figures done, just a pile of basing to do...
Back on the painting treadmill, actually feels good.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Sand and pva applied to many bases, and 6 british destroyers and a cruiser assembled.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Finished my Cents, Challys, T28's and "Danish" Infantry, Tomorrow back to the Huns in 15 and 10mm Persian archers (can defo hear Barwick green at very low level back there  :) )
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Inks on bases. Waiting for it to dry now :-w :!!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Bases painted,  highlighted and painted sealed between jobs in the kitchen rebuild.