A Tale of Four Gamers - the Sequel

Started by Steve J, 23 November 2016, 10:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

Well I don't know about the rest of us but I'm on the edge of my seat wondering what's going to happen next.  :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Elephant crews oiled. Yes, I used crew-ed oil.

You weren't expecting that, oh a coat, thank you, not sure it's mine...
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Westmarcher

Quote from: mad lemmey on 05 July 2020, 11:40:06 AM
Elephant crews oiled. Yes, I used crew-ed oil.

You weren't expecting that, oh a coat, thank you, not sure it's mine...

X_X =) ;D

... heh! ... where'd my coat go ...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Steve J

Finally felt in the mood to paint (the first time since lockdown) and basecoated some early WWII British Cruisers and Matilda II's. All part of a long planned France 1940 campaign.

hammurabi70

Quote from: Steve J on 06 July 2020, 11:59:36 AM
Finally felt in the mood to paint (the first time since lockdown) and basecoated some early WWII British Cruisers and Matilda II's. All part of a long planned France 1940 campaign.

What do you do to basecoat your tanks?

Steve J

QuoteWhat do you do to basecoat your tanks?

I prime them with black primer (Army Painter IIRC), then paint on two coats, slightly thinned, of the main colour. In this case Russian Green for one set and camo green for the other. Then I add a wash of GW Devlin Mud, then when dry drybrush with slightly lighter coats. Hope this helps?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Elephants and crews done, apart from basing.

paulr

Quote from: Steve J on 06 July 2020, 11:59:36 AM
=D> =D> =D>
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

hammurabi70

Quote from: Steve J on 06 July 2020, 08:16:48 PM
I prime them with black primer (Army Painter IIRC), then paint on two coats, slightly thinned, of the main colour. In this case Russian Green for one set and camo green for the other. Then I add a wash of GW Devlin Mud, then when dry drybrush with slightly lighter coats. Hope this helps?

Very much so.  I am trying to work how to do mine for the Korean War.  Never having done 1/150 tanks before I have to work out how to approach these as per my previous query.  I need to understand with the washes the ratios of the different ingredients and what order to do them in, so each post adds to my cairn of understanding in finding my own style.

Quote from: Noktu on 29 June 2020, 03:17:23 AM

First I've basepainted the models with Olive Drab

Then 1/8 white - olive drab mix ( going over the whole model except the very recesses )

Wash the whole model with Army Painter - Soft Tone

1/8 white - olive drab highlight ( going over almost everything except recesses )

2/8 white - olive drab highlight again, bringing the colour on the more surfaced areas ( slightly damped down with water to make it blend more )

3/8 white - olive drab highlight, on the more pronounced areas. ( also made slightly more runny with water )

Army Painter - Strong Tone on all the recessed areas to make them pop out even more

I have to admit I dont remember the exact white to olive drab ratio. Next time I paint a sherman, I'll take pictures of all the phases and drop them here.
Very helpful. I am working out now what to do with my US Korean War tanks.

Steve J

I'd say try an test tank and see how you get on. I tend to over highlight so they look OK once on the table, but maybe not so good close up.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

200+ 10mm Roman legionaries assembled for a commission today.

Steve J

Matilda II's given a Devlin Mud Wash, ditto to some German Pz I's & II's. Also tweaked a scratch built hill prior to some flocking tonight, if I can find the time.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Romans done apart from basing and shield transfers.

About to restart some 6mm WW2.